ADVERTISEMENT

4 star forward will be visiting

picks up

MI VIP
Aug 24, 2012
He decommitted from SDSU and now has UTEP in his top 4. He will be included in the 2015 class for the school that lands him

Reactions: vivautep
Espn only has him ranked as a two star. Word is SDSU didnt like how his game progressed as a senior, they questioned his ability to score at the d1 level. Looks like sdsu pulled his scholarship. I dont know if we can make room for him or not. If we have a scholly available i would offer him. I think hes better than all of our incoming players except Thomas. SDSU is stacked and can be picky about their recruits we dont have that luxery.

Strengths:
Jones has a tremendous frame with very long arms and he is quite explosive. He runs like a deer in transition and is a very fluid athlete with great feet and outstanding athleticism overall. He can score with dunks in transition, put-backs, and an occasional drop-step move. In addition, he can step out and hit elbow jump shots and his shot is smooth. He gets most of his points off of put-backs and finishing in transition (runs like a deer). Defensively, he has excellent timing as a shot blocker and due to his length he can alter shots as well.

Weaknesses:
While he possesses many of the physical tools you look for in a Division I prospect, he does have many areas to work on going forward. He doesn't affect the game as much as he should. He needs much work on his post moves (raw foot work and fundamentals). He needs to work on keeping the ball high while on the block and play wide (for leverage). Developing his face-up game (triple threat moves) will help him as well. In addition, he is not strong nor aggressive much of the time. As a result he gets bumped out of position while rebounding and he struggles scoring through contact.

Bottom Line:
Jones came into his high school career rated among the nation's elite in his class. After three full seasons, he is nowhere near the player others had hoped he would be, but he is slowly making progress. He is a nice prospect with a definite upside, but he needs to work on his strength, skill, and desire to reach his potential at San Diego State.

if SDSU didn't want him you think CUSE,Memphis and Providence will want him? I don't think those schools arent looking for projects. I think UTEP has a good chance.

I think we have a good chance. He knew he wasnt going to see the court at sdsu. Syracuse has their best recruiting class in ten years, no way he sees the floor with cuse. Providence is in good shape their roster is strong. Memphis is down not meeting the lofty expectations memphis teams always have, but their roster is still talented. From the four schools he has listed UTEP is the only place he would have a chance of seeing the court.

My thought is Caldwell too. But, Caldwell red shirts, earns one for his senior year, and then take it away?

I think Josh McSwiggan.

I wouldn't be surprised if Floyd did that, but I don't see it happening. McSwiggan is going to be a starter according to some posters on here. Just like this guy is the next Blake Griffin! Go Miners!

You tell them, big bad Carlos! Silly homers having optimism on a fan message board. Don't they know we haven't won a tourney game since 1992? I'm glad you are here to exaggerate opinions and spin thoughts. And some people say you have no purpose!

Last edited:
The reason I say that it is possibly McSwiggan, is that as far as I can follow on these boards, he's the only one not enrolled at UTEP out of the 13 possible scholarship athletes.

Reactions: STCarlosEP
Don't know why or how or what tells me but I feel this kid's going to get a call from UCLA &/or USC. Moreso to screw with CTF.

Wow, Carlos. You are such an angry man. I heard you have a radio show or something. Is that right?

Syracuse just signed 5 star Tyus Jones and they are limited because of losing scholarships due to future sanctions, so I think they are done. Memphis is losing recruits right and left. Their board is saying Pastner is done after this year so why would he go there if their coach is gone after this year. Providence is the only one with scholarships to give with nothing really wrong with their program. We just need to get a visit out of him and I believe we can land him if that is possible because of our scholarships. Look at Caldwell to get help with financial aid so we can use his scholarship.

Would be a nice addition , UTEP will be a young talented team will be nice to see them grow as a team and by January they should be good

either way I am very happy with this years recruiting class....... who do you guys think will be the star and sleeper of this class??

I think paul Thomas will be the star
but I really like what I see with romine... I think he is going to be really good when its all over.. he is my sleeper !!

looking it over I am even more excited... I think artis and moore are going to be really good and hopefully harris has improved.... one big question mark for me is wynn.... has anyone seen him play at all ? im curious about his game... I just keep hearing he is a good rebounder! I know most are disappointed in wilms but I think he is going to be solid this year... hopefully he has gotten a lot stronger!

on a side note for me... I have defended Floyd for a long time and the mess barbee left behind... but as of now the clock starts ticking for me.... Floyd has his classes staggered and we should have depth and very little drop off from year to year....

He's a Memphis player that has been released actually was their best returning player would also be a good pick up, he would have to sit out a year and have two years of eligibility left after that

He's a Memphis player that has been released actually was their best returning player would also be a good pick up, he would have to sit out a year and have two years of eligibility left after that
Actually, Austin Nichols asked out of his scholarship. At first, Memphis coach Pastner refused and a day later allowed it with restrictions. He couldn't go to a school within their conference, to Tennesee, or to a team they are scheduled to play in their non-conference schedule. Pastner was counting on him to be the "guy" and now is upset since there aren't many prospects left. Pastner also indicated that his contact has been with Nichol's dad and not Nichols himself.

As for the Miners, I am expecting big things from Dominic Artis but Earvin Morris and Omega Harris have to be the leaders of this team. My sleeper will be Tevin Caldwell only because I believe he will step up his game especially on the defensive side to make up for the loss of Julian.

My hopes are high that we land Brodricks Jones. If we do, we are going to have an awesome team!

Reactions: mine n for gold
Hopefully with the major upgrade to our backcourt it won't take as long for the offense to gel and make it easier for our post players to score, if that happens we will have a good team

Jones will be here on August 1 then will visit Memphis a few days after hopefully UTEP can seal the deal before he can make it to Memphis
With Pastner on his way out (probably), Memphis won't have much success in convincing recruits to take a chance on them. When they get a new coach, that will change.

Cue the Trolls with a CTF slam not related to the opinion mentioned above.

Like I said ........Jones will be a Miner.......
I will add some more interesting info on Brodricks Jones. According to Verbal Commits, the Miners have a walk-on by the name of Chris White who is from Lawndale in California. Chris White and Brodricks Jones are good friends based on the pictures I see from their Twitter accounts. If you have a Twitter account, search @theylovechris to see pictures. Chris White is seen in several pictures with a UTEP t-shirt, plus there is a picture where White, Jones, and Chimezie Metu (another player Floyd was after), are seen making their choices of which university they would be attending. All this being said, if White is indeed a Miner, chances look promising that Jones will become a Miner.

Reactions: jdubb66
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT