ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking on Twitter: 6-11 senior Kelvin Jones to sign w/UTEP

Uteper

MI Hall of Famer
Apr 7, 2002
@ClaytonMJones: BREAKING: Hobbs 6-11 senior Kelvin Jones has confirmed he is going to sign to play basketball at UTEP.

@PickAxeSocial: BREAKING: UTEP receives commitment from Hobbs 2015 6-11 senior Kelvin Jones! #MinerStrong

What Rivals has to say about him:
bullet.gif
Center Kelvin Jones from Hobbs (N.M.) High still has to get stronger and refine his footwork a bit, but the 6-foot-10 prospect is a sleeper that should be evaluated closely. He moves well, has terrific hands and the three-star prospect shows soft touch. At the least, upper end mid major programs in need of a big man should take a long look. - See more at: https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1702208#sthash.ol2OlaF0.dpuf

Last edited:
Nice pickup. He might be a 7 footer by next year. Nice to get a natural wide-body with good foot work.

Nice get , he averaged 15 and 10 a game , plus 3 blocks a game also. Seems like a kid with great upside.

Although some might have thought that UTEP was done with the 2015 recruiting class, the Miners added another piece in Kelvin Jones, a 6’11” big man from Hobbs, New Mexico.

Jones is a rated as a three star prospect by Rivals. He averaged 14.7 points, 9.9 rebounds and 3 blocks en route to a state championship this season. Kelvin scored 16 points and grabbed 9 rebounds in that state title game.

Standing at 6’11” and 210 lbs, Jones played in just his second season of organized basketball. He transferred into Hobbs from North Dakota. Before transferring he had monster growth spurt growing over eight inches in a little over a year. He shows a soft touch around the rim and moves well for his size.

The addition of Kelvin Jones added with Christian Romine, UTEP may have found some depth in the front court with the departure of Cedrick Lang.

http://www.pickaxesocial.com/utep-adds-to-2015-class/

I've seen him play live. He played against Gadsden, towered over the Gadsden kids, had a ton of put backs.

I would say if you're looking for a comparison, I would say his game most resembles Hooper Vint. He is about the same build. Not the toughest kid, probably needs to redshirt.

Not sure if he faced anyone of his size in New Mexico, but was one of the more dominant players in the state. Playing in the atmosphere of Tasker Arena in Hobbs will definitely be a plus. Playing in front of loud sold out gyms will give him poise that few freshman would have.

I think this is a signing that will pay of later rather than sooner, but still a very solid signing.

I think this point to Terry Winn needing to step up. Vint, Thomas, Jones, Willms, Romine, are all tall skinny guys who have similar skills and aren't known for their dirty work in the paint.

Reactions: UTEPy79

Oh heck yes this recruit has Cedric Lang written all over, maybe even better if he grows more. This video is against Midland Lee (he is #54). I saw a ton of Lang type potential. This young man was a definite steal. Kudos to CTF and staff finding such a solid recruit with great upside. And it's good to know he'll actually show up to class.

El Paso times said he isnt academic qualified and will have to sit out season like Julian Washburn did.

Well ask El Paso times Bill Knight. He the ones that said this.

Last edited:
El Paso times said he isnt academic qualified and will have to sit out season like Julian Washburn did.

"However, it is projected that he might not be a qualifier and might have to sit out next year while attending UTEP — just as did Julian Washburn in his first year at the school."

You forgot to include some key words in your post.

Awesome. We just beat out a team that has never been to the NCAAs and one that hasn't been since 1986. Talk about elite programs! For sure this dude is the next Emeka Okafor. I'm prediciting 20ppg, 10 rpg, and 5 blocks next season.

Awesome. We just beat out a team that has never been to the NCAAs and one that hasn't been since 1986. Talk about elite programs! For sure this dude is the next Emeka Okafor. I'm prediciting 20ppg, 10 rpg, and 5 blocks next season.

Jeezus Carlos, you are quite the optimist! (Insert jimlad here...more commonly known as sarcastic pirate emoji)

Last edited:
Tevin Caldwell just received a scholarship sooo either this big guy is a walkon or someone else is leaving the program.

Tevin Caldwell just received a scholarship sooo either this big guy is a walkon or someone else is leaving the program.

Well, it makes sense. A non-qualifier cannot receive an athletic scholarship. So Jones will have to pay his way until he qualifies and then be part of the 2016 Class like Bill Knight said. Caldwell will get to use the unused scholarship for his senior season.

Reactions: develman

Please share a few of your greatest life accomplishments with us.

Reactions: Cicileslie
Please share a few of your greatest life accomplishments with us.

Sure. 2nd shift manager at Burger King. Graduated 141st out of 145 at Bowie HS. Have 7 different baby mommas - all dyme pieces btw. Won NBA Jam tournament at Blockbuster Video in 1994. A few hole in one's at various Putt Putts. Ate 4 Chicos Doubles in one setting. Does not get buzzed after drinking 3 Bud Lights. Challenged a police officer to a fight one time from my car while driving and windows rolled up. Loser cop didn't step up to this guy.

With those credentials it should be easy for you to set an appointment with Coach Floyd to share your concerns about the program with him face to face.

Reactions: roundsound11
Now see-- if you simply posted some amusing sarcastic responses like that more often, it'd be easier to tolerate the incessant hijack of every thread....

Reactions: STCarlosEP
Hey im from Hobbs and have seen this kid transition from his junior year to senior year and it was incredible to see how much better he was as a senior. The kid is a gym rat and know he needs t o build muscle and polish his game. A lot of upside and he has even went coast to coast dribbling the ball and finishing with a dunk. I couldnt believe what i saw. Overall he will do some great things at utep when all is said and done.

thanks antfores. We are excited to get him. I drive to Hobbs every month or so to see my kid who is a driller on oil rigs. There is a lot of money in that town.

Sure. 2nd shift manager at Burger King. Graduated 141st out of 145 at Bowie HS. Have 7 different baby mommas - all dyme pieces btw. Won NBA Jam tournament at Blockbuster Video in 1994. A few hole in one's at various Putt Putts. Ate 4 Chicos Doubles in one setting. Does not get buzzed after drinking 3 Bud Lights. Challenged a police officer to a fight one time from my car while driving and windows rolled up. Loser cop didn't step up to this guy.
I believe you lol

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT