ADVERTISEMENT

Dominic Artis...Value Added???

miner1liner

MI Hall of Famer
Feb 10, 2014
I am the absolute leader in being the most optimistic Miner of all time. I am trying so hard however to get pumped about our new PG savior. I've read the hype, but don't grasp the basis. I know that stats can be misleading and don't always tell the complete story, but 6.2 ppg and 2.7 apg are certainly not numbers that turn heads.
Our much maligned PG from last season and I think justifiably so; CJ finished the year at 8.1 ppg and 3.2 apg. Can someone please tell me what I'm missing?

He used to be a top 100 player....that's mostly it. Sometimes those guys pan out other times they don't. Also, I know the pac 12 isn't the old Big East, he comes from much better conference than CUSA. I'd argue his stats will be better against lesser competition. Think of it this way....you compared his stay line to CJ....all respect in the world to him but what do you think his stat line would look like on any Pac 12 team. Hate to say it but I'm guessing it'd be mostly DNP

Artist is a true pg can shoot and drive he out played cj when Oregon came here, his early college experience was cut short, or else he would've avg more, so those stats were based on a very limited freshman and small portion of his sophomore year, and he missed games due to NCAA violations. He played very well in Oregon's run to the sweet 16 His potential with two years left in his career is why you should be excited he could be an all conf guard and is a huge step up from cj as a true pg

He looks to have a lot of potential, but I think it would be wise to temper expectations and consider the kid as a piece of the puzzle, not our great PG savior type. While he looks to be able to stroke the ball, I think his FG percentage was at about 30%, and from long range it was a very modest 25%. I hope he can come in and play great D, penetrate and dish the rock, break the press and minimize turnovers. If he scores 8-10 points a game on top of that, I'd be good with that. Anything more is gravy.

Reactions: allminer
He had a bad sophomore season. His freshmen numbers were much better. Not sure what transpired but it may have been a stiuation where he was just not comfortable. If he gets his head together he could make a complete turnaround. Hope he gets his head together. He has awesome potential.

I'm excited, cause of the potential and experience vs getting a freshman, but I will temper my excitement and wait and see. I do think we potentially have a nice guard oriented team now though

Reactions: Tucson_Miner
Artist is a true pg can shoot and drive he out played cj when Oregon came here, his early college experience was cut short, or else he would've avg more, so those stats were based on a very limited freshman and small portion of his sophomore year, and he missed games due to NCAA violations. He played very well in Oregon's run to the sweet 16 His potential with two years left in his career is why you should be excited he could be an all conf guard and is a huge step up from cj as a true pg
I looked at the stats from the UTEP-Oregon game. Artis had 15 pts, shot 6 for 23 from the field, 2 for 8 from three had six assists in 45 minutes. Can't really compare his performance with CJ saying he ouplayed him. CJ, I think played only a few minutes that game . Whatever little he had in 12/13 he seemed to lose in 13/14...all the numbers got worse; not better!
I sincerely hope I'm wrong about him, but I see no reason to think he's any better than seeing Harris, Morris or Moore bringing the ball down.

I support folks on this board voicing varying sports opinions. However, the recruitment of hoop players is becoming a joke with all the scrutiny and the negativism from some of the young bucks on this board! First, one reads the bitching and complaining about Floyd not being able to recruit top recruits to UTEP - his inability to recruit top talent, etc. Next, a top prospect is finally recruited with heavy hoops experience with a top PAC 12 team, and the howling commences from our choir boys section about his tainted background, statistics, and other negative crap. Folks, this kid was accused, but never charged with a crime due to lack of evidence. Whatever happened to our system of justice? I am sure our coaching staff performed a thorough "due diligence" examination of his background with approvals from UTEP officials prior to making an offer to this kid. I strongly believe Floyd is an excellent evaluator of hoops talent and is making the right choice in signing this top point guard to lead the Miners for the next two years. I look forward to flying to EP next season and enjoying hoops at the Don with this rejuvenated Miner team. Happy sailing to all of you on this beautiful day.

So if a girl accused u of rape Carlos, but u didn't do it and the charges, were dropped, should u be labeled for life as a Rapist? Honest question

I support folks on this board voicing varying sports opinions. However, the recruitment of hoop players is becoming a joke with all the scrutiny and the negativism from some of the young bucks on this board! First, one reads the bitching and complaining about Floyd not being able to recruit top recruits to UTEP - his inability to recruit top talent, etc. Next, a top prospect is finally recruited with heavy hoops experience with a top PAC 12 team, and the howling commences from our choir boys section about his tainted background, statistics, and other negative crap. Folks, this kid was accused, but never charged with a crime due to lack of evidence. Whatever happened to our system of justice? I am sure our coaching staff performed a thorough "due diligence" examination of his background with approvals from UTEP officials prior to making an offer to this kid. I strongly believe Floyd is an excellent evaluator of hoops talent and is making the right choice in signing this top point guard to lead the Miners for the next two years. I look forward to flying to EP next season and enjoying hoops at the Don with this rejuvenated Miner team. Happy sailing to all of you on this beautiful day.
Sweetlou wouldn't mind this guy dating his daughter as long as it wins games.

Cabrito, oops Carlito, a better question is how many (sane) fathers ever wanted you dating their daughters?

Reactions: Cicileslie
If you all would read the actual report, linked in the article, all 3 players admit having sex with the girl. The girl was young and drinking at a party with about 30 people there. Her account sounds like forced sex. Evidence was hard to come by, apparently. I wouldn't be so quick to say all is well with this situation. He does have a second chance now and he really needs to be a model citizen from this point on. I personally am not happy with this decision but it's not mine to make. I hope it works out well for all concerned, including the young woman (girl).

So if a girl accused u of rape Carlos, but u didn't do it and the charges, were dropped, should u be labeled for life as a Rapist? Honest question

When did I say he was a rapist? Being in that situation, brings up character issues on both the players and the females part.

You shouldn't be labeled a raptist but it happens. Like Jameis Winston is.

Reactions: El Paso Chihuahuas

Winning solves a lot of ailments. Hope it all works out.

I was just catching up on the board(been away for week.
Noticed that Carlos-aka epchi
The main reason they (he) has likes is cause he (carlos) puts like for himself in his EPChi name and the same thing the other way.
I thinks that is so funny.

GO MINERS

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT