ADVERTISEMENT

Dominic Artis Video

RTminer

Starter
Feb 5, 2003
This is from a few years ago, but look at the competition he played with and against in this game...Jabari Parker, Brandon Ashley, Winston Shepard, Williams-Goss and Matt Willms to name a few. Artis is really going to be a huge addition to our team.

It's been a while since we've had a PG that can penetrate the lane and finish amongst the trees, or just as efficiently dish it off to a big. Really, just what UTEP needs. I hope CTF let's him play his game.

Thanks RT. Artis can really play and that was in prep school. Now he's had PAC12 experience. August can't come fast enough. It's gonna be a great BB season.

Another thing that is going to be exciting is all of the red shirts coming off. We are looking deep and talented. CTF will finally have a full tool box to work with.

It's been a while since we've had a PG that can penetrate the lane and finish amongst the trees, or just as efficiently dish it off to a big. Really, just what UTEP needs. I hope CTF let's him play his game.

You hope? Have you seen him coach the last 5 years? He doesn't let any of them play "their" game. It's his way or the highway. Artis is just gonna stand around the perimeter for 20 seconds and try to dump it inside. Even that 2ppg Canadian guy could do that.

We thought that it was going to be a long year, next year. but it seems like the pieces fell in the right place.
I do believe that this is going to be our turnaround year.

GO Miners...

Basketball season can't get here fast enough. great pick up by CTF and staff.
Thank for the great post RT

GO MINERS

Inside game is still a huge question mark, Matt Willms needs weight and to be more of a force outside, hooper needs to make a huge step up in his senior year, Paul thomas will be a freshman and plays the three. The wild card is how good Trey Winn can be, he needs to be our enforcer, rebound, blocks and put backs, all the dirty work

Reactions: El Paso Chihuahuas
I know its prolly a long shot. But with the addition of Artis you that could help to convince Hunter to come back ? Has Hunter hired a agent?

Yes. Hunter has an agent. Don't remember his name but somebody posted it on this site or the Den.

And which big is he going to dish it off to? Our big men are going to be of the worst units in CUSA next season. Winn should have played last season to gain a little experience but Floyd wanted to redshirt him. Plus last offseason Winn was on the verge of leaving the team. Hopefully it isn't the same this off season. Vint and Wilms were project players coming in, and they still remain project players. Winn,Thomas, and McSwiggin are freshman and have no game experience at the college level, so they are a huge question mark. Plus we haven't made it past the Floyd summer off-season. Will all of the recruiting class make it on campus? Who is going to quit before the season starts? Still a lot of question marks for next year.

Plus that video was a high school highlight video. Artis averaged 6 points a game at Oregon and hasn't played basketball in a year. There is still a big question mark on him.
And with Floyd here I don't fall for this pre season hype anymore. I will believe it when I see it. It seems like every off season its the same thing. This player and that player are going to be awesome. Then after the orange and white scrimmage people start saying this team is going to be good this year. This player improved so much and will be a beast. We should crack the top 25 blah blah and then we don't even make it to the CUSA Tourney Final.

Reactions: STCarlosEP
And which big is he going to dish it off to? Our big men are going to be of the worst units in CUSA next season. Winn should have played last season to gain a little experience but Floyd wanted to redshirt him. Plus last offseason Winn was on the verge of leaving the team. Hopefully it isn't the same this off season. Vint and Wilms were project players coming in, and they still remain project players. Winn,Thomas, and McSwiggin are freshman and have no game experience at the college level, so they are a huge question mark. Plus we haven't made it past the Floyd summer off-season. Will all of the recruiting class make it on campus? Who is going to quit before the season starts? Still a lot of question marks for next year.

Plus that video was a high school highlight video. Artis averaged 6 points a game at Oregon and hasn't played basketball in a year. There is still a big question mark on him.
And with Floyd here I don't fall for this pre season hype anymore. I will believe it when I see it. It seems like every off season its the same thing. This player and that player are going to be awesome. Then after the orange and white scrimmage people start saying this team is going to be good this year. This player improved so much and will be a beast. We should crack the top 25 blah blah and then we don't even make it to the CUSA Tourney Final.

There's a lot to your post so I'll bold some of your questions/comments and throw in my own 2 cents worth. FYI - I have no interest in a back and forth, merry-go-round type of discussion. Just sayin'.

Willms will be serviceable. He will not be among the worst of the bigs in CUSA like you mentioned. Hopefully it clicks with the guards, Artis in particular, that Willms plays best above the rim. With Lang gone, Willms have have his best 2 years ahead of him.

Winn was injured. That's why he missed several weeks. After the absence, it only made sense to RS him.

Legitimate question about whether all recruits/current players make it to campus. For that, your guess is as good as mine.

Not basing my assessment of Artis on the HS vid. Seen plenty of his game to know he is a gamer. He will be an asset to this team. There is a reason he is listed as the top JUCO player despite not playing last year. Look a little deeper than the stats to which you alluded.

I'm with you in that seeing will be my believing. I jumped on the trail of hype when CTF said last year's team would be his best, and that they were going to be really good. I take responsibility for buying into that, but my expectations will be tempered because of the lack of delivery on Floyd's claim, no doubt.

I still have hope though. As a fan, it is my desire to see the Miners play well. I get no pleasure from bitching and moaning about the lackluster performances of the past several seasons. I have my opinions about CTF and I've made them clear, but I see no benefit in endlessly spouting them over and over. If it's CTF who gets it done, great. If it's someone else, great. It's just time to get it done.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT