ADVERTISEMENT

Dumes-hoops recruit

Lucaminer

MI Hall of Famer
May 27, 2004
I think it will be tough to land this kid now. He has narrowed his list to UTEP, Ohio State, Arkansas, Alabama and Colorado. He visited here in the Fall. Too bad we didn't get him to sign early.

with the practice facility

and a better year next year, he might still be a possibility. He seemed pretty happy with the visit.

Lucaminer, this is not good news at all. I thought we had him in the bag.

Recruiting Tidbits

Jason Jones
Memphis All City
Tennessee All State
Finalist for Mr. Basketball
Ridgeway HS won the State Title

Moultrie
Second Team All State

Ffrench
ESPN ranks him as the 129th point guard in the country.

Has DJ officially made a decision regarding staying at UTEP?

I think DJ will be back. I also heard Ffrench may not be a done deal yet. I mean that from UTEP's end. Word of an offer from UTEP may have been premature on his coach's part. I think Coach Barbee was out in NY watching him last weekend. I am not 100% sure we have offered him yet. We may be waiting to see what the guys we have offered do. I am not 100% on this, but it is kind of what I am hearing.

To my knowledge we are in the mix with Sampson Carter and Chop Tang.

I would be very happy if we got Carter. Tang too, but Carter seems really good. Although we do need a juco or two.

If we can't get Dumes or Guiterrez, we may go after a sleeper like Anthony Brock a JC point guard. I guess what I'm not sure on is the number of scholarships we have to offer.

Cooper (is paying his way this year, but will be on scholarship the coming season)
Jones Signed
Moutrie Signed
Ffrench Not officially announced as signed
Rashiduddin, Not officially announced as signed, but reportedly on campus,

Available Scholarships
Cass
Clarke
Victor R.
Kilgore
Sampson
Speight (Is junior who doesn't play, will he return?)
P Smith (I believe was a non-scholarship player)
DJ (may come back)

Depending DJ and Speight we may have 5-7 scholarships. If anyone has any updates or corrections please update.

Chano Rashiduddin is on campus. I actually met him. Very nice kid. he is big. Brock seems like a great PG, however, he is only like 5'9. It would be tough having him and Culpepper on the floor at the same time as it would create a lot of mismatches against us. The Ffrench commitment may be premature. We may be waiting to see what some of our other targets do before officialy offering him. Not sure on that, though. If I had to bet, DJ will be back, Speight won't. But I am not a betting man... :)

I agree we are awaiting on existing offers befor pulling the the trigger on Ffrench. Rashiduddin on campus is a big plus. You're correct about Brock's size being a major issue, but as a pure point guard he's pretty solid. FB recruiting information has been fairly easy to find. BB recruiting information is almost impossible for me to find. With the late signing date approaching I assume it won't be too long before it all sorts out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT