ADVERTISEMENT

New Bowl Games added

No more Bowls please! Further diluting an already diluted product! The NCAA certifies a Bowl (Austin ) that doesn't even know where they'll play the damn game! Unbelievable.

College football is cash cow. Cities want these games because they make money. America cant get enough football,college football is the second most popular sport only behind the nfl. As long as there is money to be made and a public apetite for football cities will want to add bowl games. I dont think CUSA,Sun Belt AAC and MWC will have any problems filling the new bowls. Where there may be future problems are filling the lower bowls for big 10 and acc there are too many bowl bids for those two leagues.

How many years will it take for these bowls to surpass the Sun Bowl in the team pecking order?

How many years will it take for these bowls to surpass the Sun Bowl in the team pecking order?

I think the Sun Bowl will be fine as long as CBS stays with us. I always laugh when some people complain about the teams playing in the Sun Bowl. Most people don't realize that the Sun Bowl brings in good teams every year and is one of the better bowl games played.

The Sun Bowl has been passed by some of the newer bowls because they have a higher payout. Bowl pecking order is determined by payout.

I like this comment on that article - "Kinda like handing trophies to kids who lose a tournament..."

But I'll go to Tucson too :)

Reactions: minergabe
Although I agree there are too many bowls, I totally get why. It's an ATM to conferences, bowl committees, and at the very end, schools. And because of that, they will keep those bowl games plenty.

The Sun Bowl, in essence is a great venue, with great seating views. But the Sun Bowl committee really needs to look into investing more into the stadium. The new video displays are nice, but it needs a little more modern dressing to keep pace with some of the other bowls. Some fresh painting and better lighting on the concourse for starters. First and foremost, they should replace the turf. Even if it's marginally new, the "sun" looks like it's beaten it to death. That was readily apparent during the last bowl game between Duke and Arizona State. The "Hyundai Sun Bowl" patches were freshly green while the rest of the field looked, in a word, dated. Of course I'm nit-picking, but again, the Sun Bowl is a great venue for football. It needs to be shown the potential for bigger and better match ups and given a little more facility respect.

The Sun Bowl has been passed by some of the newer bowls because they have a higher payout. Bowl pecking order is determined by payout.

Totally agree. Which is why they should invest in it and attract bigger some bigger sponsors. It'll require some effort, but they can get it done.

I could be wrong, but doesn't UTEP own and operate the Sun Bowl stadium?

Yeah and they're waiting to install Luxury Suites, expanding the stadium to 60,000, and bringing more Monster Truck Shows to the Sun Bowl. 1 Monster Truck Show = 3 UTEP home game attendance. All those soccer matches they have brought in since they "soccer sized" the Sun Bowl has been a worthy investment too.

Tribal, I'm pretty sure UTEP does own the SB, because why else would the UT Chancellor be allowed to decide that alcohol couldn't be served during that big boxing match they held there a few years ago? If it was privately or city owned, it would not have been an issue.

Reactions: El Paso Chihuahuas
In 2001 the UT system purchased the Sun Bowl from the county. It was originally built by the County for about $275,000 in 1963.

Correct. UTEP had a 99 year lease from the county for $1 a year. With it automatically renewing for another 99 years for $1 per year. UTEP wanted to make changes and upgrades to the Sun Bowl but the county was giving them so much red tape that it made improvements nearly impossible. Then a county commissioner wanted to change the terms of the lease and gave them a hard time. The County Commissioners were ready for a war with the UT Regents over the Sun Bowl. UT said that they would pay the county for the Sun Bowl or they would just take it under eminent domain. The county didn't accept the Regents money and then the UT System just took the Sun Bowl and the county got nothing.

It was a huge story because UTEP did not want to have an adverse relationship with the county but in the end there was no easy way to negotiate with the county.

Correct. UTEP had a 99 year lease from the county for $1 a year. With it automatically renewing for another 99 years for $1 per year. UTEP wanted to make changes and upgrades to the Sun Bowl but the county was giving them so much red tape that it made improvements nearly impossible. Then a county commissioner wanted to change the terms of the lease and gave them a hard time. The County Commissioners were ready for a war with the UT Regents over the Sun Bowl. UT said that they would pay the county for the Sun Bowl or they would just take it under eminent domain. The county didn't accept the Regents money and then the UT System just took the Sun Bowl and the county got nothing.

It was a huge story because UTEP did not want to have an adverse relationship with the county but in the end there was no easy way to negotiate with the county.

That's pretty much what I was told without all the intricate info.

So that's what you were told, but were still under the impression that UTEP didn't own the Sun Bowl? Okay. Way to keep up with the news guy.

Yes, Einstein. The hitch in the story is the same as I wrote earlier. The weight room, coaches offices are not connected to the stadium because UTEP doesn't own it. THAT was the end of the story. That's the part of what I wrote that didn't change. Or did you not read that? Oops, my mistake, I called you Einstein. Maybe Alfred E. Newman is more appropriate.

He was referring to you. But since you've been settling for mediocre since 1992, you're not that bright. Enjoy the day and try not to get hit in traffic.

Reactions: UTEPy79
The Sun Bowl Association owned the Stadium and sold it to UTEP for 1 dollar some years ago. However, UTEP does not own the Sun Bowl Classic football game. That is the main reason UTEP cannot use the Sun Bowl game as a bargaining chip in conference associations.

The County of El Paso originally owned the stadium. UTEP now owns the stadium except for one day a year....The Sun Bowl association owns it on that day. The Sun Bowl did not sell the stadium to UTEP. Level 1.

The sun bowl association does not own the sun bowl, they lease it for one day a year. UTEP does hold sway over the Sun Bowl because the sun bowl contracts have to be approved by UTEP. The Sun Bowl associations lease is an agreement that could be easily gotten out of or canceled. UTEP has alot of power of the sun bowl association but has never used it. Times however may be changing.

The sun bowl association does not own the sun bowl, they lease it for one day a year. UTEP does hold sway over the Sun Bowl because the sun bowl contracts have to be approved by UTEP. The Sun Bowl associations lease is an agreement that could be easily gotten out of or canceled. UTEP has alot of power of the sun bowl association but has never used it. Times however may be changing.

All of this is incorrect.

Hmm...interesting...Now this is healthy debate not trollification ( I need to trademark that word).

66 can you lay it out as you've heard it or know it and possibly cite your sources. I always thought that whole relationship was a little muddy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT