ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Remember this Boxing Match?

FiliUTEP

MI Miner Maniac
Feb 1, 2010
when will EL Paso get another fight like this? I would say this was prolly EL Paso biggest sporting event .

No the biggest sporting event was Juan Laport (Puerto Rico) VS Salvador Sanchez.
This happened on Dec 13th 1980 in the County Coliseum.

Great fight by Salvador Sanchez.

Reactions: walkinthedog
Erik Morales winning the WBC Super bantem weight title over Daniel Zaragoza at the Coliseum in 1997. Packed and loud and a terrific fight. Greatest sporting event ever in El Paso. De La Hoya was simply an event as was the Chihuahuas. Why? That De La Hoya would win was a forgone conclusion. Chihuahuas was the start of an Era of new sports entertainment, nothing more. There was nothing on the line opening night. The Moralez/Zaragoza fight was a nationally televised championship bout that was electric.

Opening day last year was hyped for so long. El Paso has been waiting for AAA baseball for a very long time. Fortunately, the Chihuahuas live up the hype and even more. Like I said before, the Chihuahuas are the best thing to even happen to El Paso.

So now you took it from best sporting event, to the best thing to ever happen in El Paso. The thread started out as El Paso's biggest sporting event. Look, I love the Chihuahuas. And they are one of the best things sports wise to ever happen in El Paso. I don't honestly know how one can point out something as "the best" thing. The National Championship of '66 could be argued(and please don't accuse me of living in the past, that's not what this is about) as the best thing to ever happen in El Paso sports. Obviously, you weren't around when that occurred so you have no way of judging the excitement and the pride that was created at the time, and what it meant to UTEP's basketball future. El Paso owns the second oldest Bowl game in collegiate history. You could argue that its long term success and long running contract with CBS is the best thing to ever happen in El Paso sports. It may not be what it once was because of what the NCAA has done and the saturation of Bowls, but it is still a very important major event in El Paso, both for civic pride and economically. That can't be argued. My point, and I'm sure Fili and Haskins Fan's point was to highlight a sporting event that was exciting for the fan and had something on the line, as far as winning and losing. The Morales/Zaragoza fight I witnessed, had all the electricity and excitement of any of the best Miner basketball or football games I've seen live. Plus it was nationally televised. And it mattered. Of the fans that were there on opening night for the Chihuahuas, I'd bet barely half could remember to this day whether the team won or lost. Nor did it matter. Best thing to ever happen to El Paso sports wise? Probably. Best sporting event? People walked out entertained, win or lose. I liken it to a day at the amusement park(certainly the food prices are similar!). It's great family entertainment. Yes, one of the best things to happen to El Paso's sports history. But the best? Well, for you, obviously yes. For me, one of the top 3 that don't need to be judged in any order.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
I don't think most of you guys were around or should I say old enough to know boxing back in the 80's Salvador was and young and promising fighter who lost his life on a car
accident. Azuma Nelson who lost to Salvador Sanchez stated he had never fought a fighter like Sal Sanchez. Juan Laporte was a great fighter who trash talked Sal Sanchez. Sal beat
Laporte with style and grace. The fight was a sell out and it was televised nationally. If you guys remember before Pay Per View most good fights were on HBO and that was in the middle
to late 80's and 90's.
In my opinion Sal has been the best boxer in Mexico's history. He was gone in his early twenties, way to early. Sal Sanchez and Juan Laporte were two great fighters at the time. My vote
to the best sporting event in El Paso was Sal Sanchez and Juan Laporte.
Just to let you guys know Sal lost to Alexis Arguello when Sal had just started his career. Sal only loss was to Alexis Arguello, but most people who saw the fight will tell your that Sal
won the fight.

Have you heard of Diego De La Hoya? He will be the next coming of Oscar. He is already 9-0 with 8 KO's. I believe his next fight is on Thursday

1902912_793970213963620_1588842361_n.jpg

Friday nights in certain areas of the city are pretty exciting. Always have been, always will.

I would say the biggest sporting event ever here would be:

1. First Cowboys Scrimmage
2. This DeLaHoya fight
3. Miami vs Notre Dame 2010 Sun Bowl
4. Chihuahuas Opener

I would say

1. De La hoya fight
2.Utep vs TEXAS & OU a tie
3. Irish vs Miami Sun Bowl
4. Chihuahuas Opener
5. When Randy Johnson Pitched for Diablos.

STCarlos how in the hell can you call a scrimmage one of the biggest sporting events in El Paso.
You must be high brother, get your head out your ass.

GO Miners...

$
STCarlos how in the hell can you call a scrimmage one of the biggest sporting events in El Paso.
You must be high brother, get your head out your ass.

GO Miners...

there was 50,000 people their to watch a scrimmage. I think it counts. Its not in mine list,

$

there was 50,000 people their to watch a scrimmage. I think it counts. Its not in mine list,

I hate the Cowboys, but that was definitely a big event. That game sold out way faster than anything else here. It almost lead to the Girls bringing their training camp here. That was the first ever sell out of the Sun Bowl and I'm sure it was enjoyed by their local fans.

Turning down Sea World was a smart move. Bringing them in would have made Western Playland leave. Oh wait, that happened anyway. Hey, we're supposed to be getting an Alamo Drafthouse (construction delayed) and Dave & Busters (not announced yet) though! Things are looking up!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT