ADVERTISEMENT

Potential big losses

Hopefully Omega will be available for the conference season if he brings his grades up. We can probably survive this non-conference season without him.

Losing Matt Willms will hurt, no doubt about it. Hopefully some of the new guys will step up.

The roster has become a never-ending meat grinder . It seems the attrition (sans graduation) has become a yearly factor.
bucket.jpg

Now we know who's schollie we're offering to jones. With this news i think the prospects of signing jones has went up significantly. I think we have a 70 % chance of signing him.

Reactions: mikesarabia
Let's keep in perspective, neither of these issues are Tim Floyd's fault. Omega knows well enough he has to keep a certain GPA to remain eligible. I'm certain he's not enrolled in classes above his learning capabilities. If all his teammates can get the job done in the class, he's got no excuses. "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink." I hope and pray he's able to right the ship.

Matt Willms is obviously injury prone, which sucks for him more than the program and fans. I hope he's able to recover and return better than ever for 2016. Next man up! That's how they get through this adversity.

The OOC schedule makes a lot of sense now.

Reactions: picks up
These specific issues arent Floyd's fault, but they play into a bigger narrative. We are going into year six with no positive news. This is starting to feel like the beginning of the end for Floyd. I dont think these messagboards accurately capture most fans and alumns thoughts about the program. If you read these message boards during Price's last three years you would have thought he had broad support, when in actuality most of the fan base had turned on him. I think we are at that point with Floyd. Most supporters and season ticket holders i talk to want floyd out. I think the tide has turned on Floyd the weak schedule may have been the last straw. I will continue to support the program but if we dont make the tournament this year its time for a change before floyd runs this thing completely into the ground. I know people who have had tickets for thirty years who are not renewing because they are disgusted with Floyd. I think there are alot more carloses out there than most of us would like to admit.

These specific issues arent Floyd's fault, but they play into a bigger narrative. We are going into year six with no positive news. This is starting to feel like the beginning of the end for Floyd. I dont think these messagboards accurately capture most fans and alumns thoughts about the program. If you read these message boards during Price's last three years you would have thought he had broad support, when in actuality most of the fan base had turned on him. I think we are at that point with Floyd. Most supporters and season ticket holders i talk to want floyd out. I think the tide has turned on Floyd the weak schedule may have been the last straw. I will continue to support the program but if we dont make the tournament this year its time for a change before floyd runs this thing completely into the ground. I know people who have had tickets for thirty years who are not renewing because they are disgusted with Floyd. I think there are alot more carloses out there than most of us would like to admit.

A. We aren't making the big dance this year, and I'll happily eat crow if we do.

B. I know some longstanding ticket holders too, and some of them aren't renewing because they're just getting too old to go to the games anymore, which is too bad because they're better fans than the younger generations.

C. I agree Floyd is on thin ice, but I think next season not this season will be do or die (unless this season is wheels off).

D. The Carlos-types in this town sure as hell won't help us pay for a better coach, better game experience, etc.

Reactions: Carlosergio
A. We aren't making the big dance this year, and I'll happily eat crow if we do.

B. I know some longstanding ticket holders too, and some of them aren't renewing because they're just getting too old to go to the games anymore, which is too bad because they're better fans than the younger generations.

C. I agree Floyd is on thin ice, but I think next season not this season will be do or die (unless this season is wheels off).

D. The Carlos-types in this town sure as hell won't help us pay for a better coach, better game experience, etc.

I agree with all your points except b. I dont think Floyd is near as popular as some would like you to believe. You make a great point about the age of fans. The average age of basketball season ticket holders is probably around 65. We take 8000 average attendance for granted. We havent done much to attract younger fans. If you think about it UTEP basketball hasn't been nationally realavent in most of the current students at UTEP's lifetimes. Our inflated sense of UTEP basketball prestige is hurting us with the younger generation. We need to make a plan of how to make UTEP basketball relavent. Most of the season ticket holders will start dying off soon. If we want to continue to average 8000 we have to make UTEP basketball relevant. 1966 and six trips to the tournament in the 80's dont mean anything to the younger generation of alumns and fans.

I thought the Floyd hire was a good one at the time. I still hope he'll right the ship, but it's not looking too good for him right now.

"I thought the Floyd hire was a good one at the time". Yep

"I still hope he'll right the ship" Me too.

"but it's not looking too good for him right now". I agree.

I thought the Floyd hire was a good one at the time. I still hope he'll right the ship, but it's not looking too good for him right now.
I didn't know if Floyd was a good hire at the time , but it felt right to me. Seemed like a perfect fit , the Prodigal Son returns to take us back to "Glory". Returns while not horrible have been underwhelming to say the least.
underwhelmed-300x199.jpg

Reactions: El Paso Chihuahuas
I agree with all your points except b. I dont think Floyd is near as popular as some would like you to believe. You make a great point about the age of fans. The average age of basketball season ticket holders is probably around 65. We take 8000 average attendance for granted. We havent done much to attract younger fans. If you think about it UTEP basketball hasn't been nationally realavent in most of the current students at UTEP's lifetimes. Our inflated sense of UTEP basketball prestige is hurting us with the younger generation. We need to make a plan of how to make UTEP basketball relavent. Most of the season ticket holders will start dying off soon. If we want to continue to average 8000 we have to make UTEP basketball relevant. 1966 and six trips to the tournament in the 80's dont mean anything to the younger generation of alumns and fans.

Excellent points Minerforlife. UTEP does not care about attracting new fans. They expect their honk season ticket holders to support crap. This is UTEP's slogan "Hey come pay full price to see the school that won the 66 Title take on 2-27 FAMU"

No single basketball recruit cares about 1966 anymore. Their parents weren't even alive in 1966. Only the blue hairs and Floyd honks think 1966 matters to people outside of UTEP. Win something. People aren't going to games anymore "just cause".

How do you know? Why would people commit to a product they think is bad or doesn't fit their standards?

What game experience does Floyd /UTEP offer now? Watch boring old school offense and have old people tell you to sit down? Yeah, that's awesome dude! Sign me up for all the games versus the nations worst!

Excellent points Minerforlife. UTEP does not care about attracting new fans. They expect their honk season ticket holders to support crap. This is UTEP's slogan "Hey come pay full price to see the school that won the 66 Title take on 2-27 FAMU"

No single basketball recruit cares about 1966 anymore. Their parents weren't even alive in 1966. Only the blue hairs and Floyd honks think 1966 matters to people outside of UTEP. Win something. People aren't going to games anymore "just cause".

How do you know? Why would people commit to a product they think is bad or doesn't fit their standards?

What game experience does Floyd /UTEP offer now? Watch boring old school offense and have old people tell you to sit down? Yeah, that's awesome dude! Sign me up for all the games versus the nations worst!

Of course no one knows if they'll make the big dance this year, but with their schedule they'll have to win the conference tournament, and that will be hard to do, especially if they lose depth (maybe Omega and Matt). Regardless, I'll be there to watch the journey and support them in their quest to get there.

The rest of your rant is tired, so I won't reply to it.

Another topic derailed. The topic concerns the unfortunate news about two players who won't be playing this season. Instead; here we go again...Somehow it's all about The Inept Coach instead of opinions and comments addressing the situaion that the coach has to deal with. If someone were to post under the topic of "The Weather in Argentina", it would somehow develope into knocking Tim Floyd. Get a life you haters.

Reactions: picks up
Channel 9 just confirmed Matt will have surgery -- out for season, applying for medical redshirt. Omega could be back for spring semester. Tough break.

MFL.....I think you are dead wrong about Floyd's popularity here. I talk to a lot of UTEP fans (including my large group) and he has overwhelming support. While I do complain about a bunch of crap he and his staff have done, I....WE....have seen the bad luck he has had. In order to get UTEP over the top, he MUST take a lot of HUGE risks with kids that just might not make it. Washburn was one. Hunter was another. Others have missed the mark.

Folks jumping on the "It's typical Floyd" crap are just retarded. Harris being ineligible is strictly on HIS ASS! I am sure staff members were on him about it. Any bets this is the reason we are sooooo damn deep at guard this year? Hell, most of the folks on here didn't even think Omega would see much playing time anyway. Now the sky is falling....
I feel bad for Matt. injury after injury......naturally, Tim should have prevented it huh?

It sucks we lost 2 players. Remember, the schedule is very weak and we can still soar through it....

Out...

Reactions: miner1liner
Another topic derailed. The topic concerns the unfortunate news about two players who won't be playing this season. Instead; here we go again...Somehow it's all about The Inept Coach instead of opinions and comments addressing the situaion that the coach has to deal with. If someone were to post under the topic of "The Weather in Argentina", it would somehow develope into knocking Tim Floyd. Get a life you haters.

Floyd and his players are inextricably linked, whether "fair" or not.

And where is all the hate of which you speak? Aside from the eternal CTF hater, who else is hating?

It's really amazing to see how some folks twist the guilty part on Coach Floyd.
We have to realize that the current generations (kids) are very selfish. For the most part the majority of kids now a days
don't even respect their parents. If they don't qualify or have an attitude because they think they can get away with it they
are wrong.
In reference to Willims I feel bad for him, he just can't avoid getting injured. It's not his fault.
Harris is another story. Unfortunately we all who care about the game are going to miss the excitement he brought to the game.
I also hate to see him waste the opportunity to get an education. I don't think he knows how important it is to get an education.
I hope he gets his act together. I know that he can do it, I have faith that he will continue to play for us.

GO Miners...

It's really amazing to see how some folks twist the guilty part on Coach Floyd.
We have to realize that the current generations (kids) are very selfish. For the most part the majority of kids now a days
don't even respect their parents. If they don't qualify or have an attitude because they think they can get away with it they
are wrong.
In reference to Willims I feel bad for him, he just can't avoid getting injured. It's not his fault.
Harris is another story. Unfortunately we all who care about the game are going to miss the excitement he brought to the game.
I also hate to see him waste the opportunity to get an education. I don't think he knows how important it is to get an education.
I hope he gets his act together. I know that he can do it, I have faith that he will continue to play for us.

GO Miners...

I agree 100%.

I think a lot of this is fan frustration. We never know who our team is until the opening tip off. What made most of us Miner Fans is all those name over the years and follow them through their careers. There is no continuity.

My post was not meant to imply these current issues are Floyd's fault (per se), but we certainly never go into a season without a load of bad news since his arrival....

Reactions: develman
I agree 100%.

I think a lot of this is fan frustration. We never know who our team is until the opening tip off. What made most of us Miner Fans is all those name over the years and follow them through their careers. There is no continuity.

This is the age of "one and done" for the best players in college basketball -- the old days of continuity are gone.

I don't know why everyone is freaking out, a lot of people were saying how bad Wilms is so we don't lose much there according to some, then we have Harris gone but Artis and Moore should be just as good if not better so why is everyone throwing the season away? And don't forget we have two guys who I think will step in nicely for Wilms, Thomas and Romine.

I don't know why everyone is freaking out, a lot of people were saying how bad Wilms is so we don't lose much there according to some, then we have Harris gone but Artis and Moore should be just as good if not better so why is everyone throwing the season away? And don't forget we have two guys who I think will step in nicely for Wilms, Thomas and Romine.

The concern is depth. The way Floyd pushes his teams so hard on defense requires depth and fresh legs, especially as the season grinds on. I think some of our late-season losses the past several years are largely due to exhaustion and lack of depth.

Lack of depth? Hasn't he had 4 full recruiting seasons for 13 scholarships?

I know, right? All Floyd has to do is load the roster two-deep with NBA talent every year! I mean the blueprint is right under his nose to copy -- Calipari at Kentucky. It's like playing two teams against one. He can't not win!

Way to many distractions on this team. There appears to be only two groups on this team, those that are willing to put in the hard work to be successful on the court and personally and those who rely mainly on their athleticism to open the doors of life, the rare few that do open. It's really that simple and many, many UTEP legendary players chose to rely mainly on their athleticism to open doors and fell on their face.

I agree with PurpleFire. Season is not over and still have hope that Brodricks Jones signs with the Miners and the team will be fine. If not, could be tough depth wise with lack of big men.

I know, right? All Floyd has to do is load the roster two-deep with NBA talent every year! I mean the blueprint is right under his nose to copy -- Calipari at Kentucky. It's like playing two teams against one. He can't not win!

Yeah, its impossible to get bench depth. Maybe if the roster wasn't turned over every year...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT