ADVERTISEMENT

Preseason ranking from Syracuse.com for UTEP

We were 43rd in the other preseason ranking. Realistically we should most likely be in between the two. Yet, it would not surprise me at all to see Kruger keep over achieving with this team and us finishing much higher. He is one coach that I can truly believe in.

Reactions: Epsilon00
Honestly I am not too sure what to expect from the team... I can see us going either way honestly at 2-10 or 10-2.... All the teams we beat last year were not any good...and we lost to all the good teams... Soo I don't think we are anywhere near 53.... More like in the 80's until proven otherwise

Reactions: El Paso Chihuahuas
I am going to say in the 70's. This team is going to be better than last year.
I know we have doubts on the QB but I trust Coach Kug on taking care of that question mark.
The offense is going to run plays that will feed our needs.

Go Miners...

Honestly I am not too sure what to expect from the team... I can see us going either way honestly at 2-10 or 10-2.... All the teams we beat last year were not any good...and we lost to all the good teams... Soo I don't think we are anywhere near 53.... More like in the 80's until proven otherwise

I know you tossed out the 10-2, but I certainly don't see this team going anywhere near 2-10 unless they get an injury bug.

It takes any coach almost three year to remake a team. I know everyone looks at Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, etc., as being preeminent coaches - and they are. But it's much easier to rebuild a high profile program than it is one that's on the fringe. For example, short of Charlie Strong imploding at Texas, they'll be far better in another season than they were in his first. They're a variety of reasons. One is getting the kids you want or need into the program versus the ones the previous coach had. Second, is getting the players buy-in. That takes one full season. Third, development. By the second and going into the third season, his players have developed (or not). This will be Kugler's third season and from all accounts, it looks like he's on track. The defense should be even better and the offense should show more improvement. The only issue - as I've said from the start, is balance. If they're going to run 90% of the time, then that'll be problematic. If they are going to only run eight different plays for an entire game, then go play PS4, cause it's going to a long, ugly game. Kugler has gone on record for wanting better balance and he should get it.

Reactions: Minerforlife
^^^^It only took 2 years for Kugler. In only two years and 2 huge victories over Old Dominion(6-6) and Middle Tennessee(6-6), now UTEP is better than Texas Tech and we are on the same level as the University of Texas(according to fans on here), so next season we should be on the same level as TCU.

Like I mentioned before, all these fans want everyone to show UTEP all this respect with two victories over .500 teams as their 2 best wins. If you want respect you have to earn it. I think the 93 ranking is pretty accurate.

Reactions: El Paso Chihuahuas
^^^^It only took 2 years for Kugler. In only two years and 2 huge victories over Old Dominion(6-6) and Middle Tennessee(6-6), now UTEP is better than Texas Tech and we are on the same level as the University of Texas(according to fans on here), so next season we should be on the same level as TCU.

Like I mentioned before, all these fans want everyone to show UTEP all this respect with two victories over .500 teams as their 2 best wins. If you want respect you have to earn it. I think the 93 ranking is pretty accurate.

With a largely returning defense, I believe puts UTEP lower than 93 (mid 40-55). That's overly harsh but given the question marks on offense (QB) and play calling, I can understand the 93 slot.

I can understand some to be unhappy with the basketball team and its improvement. But I cannot understand anyone that is unhappy with the improvement that the football team has made regardless of who they beat. They made a bowl game in two years, with a team that had to be rebuilt from scratch.
It is not far fetched to say that we have a great chance to beat Texas Tech this year. We almost beat them last year and we will have the same defense and an improved offense. Tech is having a very down year according to most. So, that is not a reach at all.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT