ADVERTISEMENT

The problem with Trolls

Vegasminer

MI Regular
Jul 5, 2001
This is a sports fan forum. Particularly UTEP Sports. Designed to inform, delight, encourage, update, inspire, promote, support, cheer, advance, enthuse, motivate and basically to commune with Miner FANS.

Trolls post on here to do the opposite. Think about it. Even though they mask themselves as FANS, the average reader can spot them after a couple of posts. Yes, some of us can hit them with the ignore button but when the rest of us engage them and allow them to hijack a thread it's a losing battle. Also new-comers that visit (including recruits and their parents) can't separate these socially challenged losers from the rest of the board and get a horrible false impression of the fanbase. The moderators here can't or won't address this very real problem making it difficult for people to participate and enjoy this important forum.

That said, I'm respectfully requesting that everyone here hit the REPORT button and type in OBVIOUS TROLL whenever a poster becomes a known Troll and posts for the sole purpose of being a provocateur.

I hate trolls. I'll take them all off ignore and report every post if we get a few agreeable responses to your suggestion.
I'm just not sure the admins will do anything about it. I think they serve some kind of purpose, driving up the traffic count or something.

Are all Rivals forums this full of trolls?

Reactions: T-6 Miner
This is a sports fan forum. Particularly UTEP Sports. Designed to inform, delight, encourage, update, inspire, promote, support, cheer, advance, enthuse, motivate and basically to commune with Miner FANS.

Trolls post on here to do the opposite. Think about it. Even though they mask themselves as FANS, the average reader can spot them after a couple of posts. Yes, some of us can hit them with the ignore button but when the rest of us engage them and allow them to hijack a thread it's a losing battle. Also new-comers that visit (including recruits and their parents) can't separate these socially challenged losers from the rest of the board and get a horrible false impression of the fanbase. The moderators here can't or won't address this very real problem making it difficult for people to participate and enjoy this important forum.

That said, I'm respectfully requesting that everyone here hit the REPORT button and type in OBVIOUS TROLL whenever a poster becomes a known Troll and posts for the sole purpose of being a provocateur.

So the average reader can spot a so-called "troll" post after a few, but recruits and their parents can't? You're not exactly saying that recruits and their parents are very smart then are you?

As said many times before, if any recruit or parent based their sole decision on what was said on a school's unofficial message board, they are not very bright.

If you look at my posts, they are factually based. Sorry that it is not up to your cheerleading, homer, honk standards. I am going to report your post because I don't agree with your opinions. You are a thin skinned, truly socially awkward nitwit.

Reactions: El Paso Chihuahuas
Here is the truth about trolls. They are malcontents. They are not happy within themselves, so they try to bring their unhappiness to others. In reality, we should feel sorry for trolls, but we should also not respond to their posts because that just motivates their activities.

Reactions: T-6 Miner
Here is the truth about trolls. They are malcontents. They are not happy within themselves, so they try to bring their unhappiness to others. In reality, we should feel sorry for trolls, but we should also not respond to their posts because that just motivates their activities.

And you shouldn't create whole threads about trolls. What is this- the 3rd or 4th thread about trolls in the past few months? Some people must be bored.

Reactions: Cicileslie
El Paso Chihuahuas / music / Bob doesn't break any rules. There is nothing to RTM. He is very careful in how he trolls. However, I have 'reported to mod' when Chunk derails most threads and posts the exact same information in threads that have nothing to do w/ the last time you made the NCAA tourney, the last time you won an NCAA tourney game, etc. He's not as careful as Bob. Which is a relief. I worry about how many dead people Bob has left behind in truck stop restrooms. I prefer Chunks who isn't too dedicated to trolling. He's just a prick.

So pure rainbows and sunshine or else ? Why don't we just pin a scarlet letter on them , damn sinners , how dare they be critical .

There are other UTEP forums which do a much more professional job of moderating, even if they are run by amateurs. Choose wisely...

Reactions: roundsound11
Part of the problem is that the term "troll" is used too loosely on this board. I've been labeled a troll for questioning whether or not TF is the right guy for the job. I've been labeled a troll for pointing out obvious flaws with the bb team. I've even been labeled a troll just for agreeing with a post or two by someone else labeled a troll. I'm probably also a troll for disagreeing with the OP's idea of what a sports forum is "designed" for. Not that I fully disagree with what he says, but he describes only one side of the coin, as if one side could exist without another. Getting back on track, I've also been labeled a homer for being too optimistic about an upcoming season, or for giving props to a Miner team that I thought played well even though they lost, or for being excited about an incoming player that has yet to play a minute of college ball. Am I missing something? Is this site not intended to be used as a forum for discussing opinions with which we agree, and/or for those with which we disagree, rather than for crucifying people who express a perspective that differs from our own? Too many reactive people on this forum. Too few people who actually think from awareness. No real surprise as most people think in terms of black or white, wrong or right. No different here.

While I agree the trolls can get out of hand every now and then. They are not that bad, EP Chih has really become one of the best posters... Carlos seems to be bitter for some reason... Maybe a bad bet on UTEP in Vegas?

Now you're going to be labeled a troll for calling me one of the best posters or they're going to say we're the same person. :D

And thanks for the compliment. :)

Now you're going to be labeled a troll for calling me one of the best posters or they're going to say we're the same person. :D

And thanks for the compliment. :)

Yeah, that has become a bit cliche. It alludes to the lack of original thought being expressed around here. How many posters have jumped on that one? Security in numbers I guess.

While I agree the trolls can get out of hand every now and then. They are not that bad, EP Chih has really become one of the best posters... Carlos seems to be bitter for some reason... Maybe a bad bet on UTEP in Vegas?

Bitter, wtf?

I just can't believe the lack of expectations and most being okay with Floyd's tenure here at UTEP. At least I will give reasons why I post what I post. "Non trolls" will just spout off crap because they're "great fans".

I would love for you to find me five things positive you have said about utep this year Carlos....I really don't understand your point on here....are you really that bored where you to devote time out of your day just to irritate people on purpose.... You know damn well what you are doing...so stop with this I just don't understand mediocrity crap..... Utep could be in the top 25 and you would still spout your bullshit....

.so stop with this I just don't understand mediocrity crap..... Utep could be in the top 25 and you would still spout your bullshit....

I highly doubt anybody would. Do you see a lot of negative towards the football team right now? I don't see it. Even after a bowl loss, the majority of people are satisfied with Kugler's progress.

If UTEP basketball was in the Top 25 I promise you nobody would be complaining.

Amazing even the Trolls know who they are because they really took offense to this post and try to justify their trollness

GO MINERS

Amazing even the Trolls know who they are because they really took offense to this post and try to justify their trollness

GO MINERS

Again, if questioning things about the bball program makes one a troll, or if agreeing with a post of someone who is considered a troll makes one a troll, then I guess I'm a troll by your standards. Like I said, that would be a loose definition of troll.

I highly doubt anybody would. Do you see a lot of negative towards the football team right now? I don't see it. Even after a bowl loss, the majority of people are satisfied with Kugler's progress.

If UTEP basketball was in the Top 25 I promise you nobody would be complaining.

Not saying anything about many people....I am just saying ONE person Carlos....

And to clarify I don't have any problem with anyone voicing displeasure with the teams progress...I believe Tim Floyd hasn't gotten a fair shake because of having to recruit 11 guys to replaces barbees team which was ridiculous and would take some time...he has taken some gambles that have failed....I am ok with that, a lot of people On here don't understand how hard it is to replace so many players at once like that....which is also fine... but Carlos doesn't offer anything to this board.... He is just into name calling, sarcasm and hating everything that is utep....that's what pisses me off..... Look at all his posts... They all say the same damn thing...all of them and to me that's telling me he is here just to piss people off....and he knows damn well what he is doing

And to clarify I don't have any problem with anyone voicing displeasure with the teams progress...I believe Tim Floyd hasn't gotten a fair shake because of having to recruit 11 guys to replaces barbees team which was ridiculous and would take some time...he has taken some gambles that have failed....I am ok with that, a lot of people On here don't understand how hard it is to replace so many players at once like that....which is also fine... but Carlos doesn't offer anything to this board.... He is just into name calling, sarcasm and hating everything that is utep....that's what pisses me off..... Look at all his posts... They all say the same damn thing...all of them and to me that's telling me he is here just to piss people off....and he knows damn well what he is doing

I would agree that Carlos' intent is often times to piss people off, no doubt. But few posters are able to see beyond that and they get dragged into unnecessary drama. It takes two to tango as the saying goes. He does bring a certain amount of realism rather than idealism at times, and he often is the only one in a conversation who brings factual info to the table. For some reason I'm able to have a legit conversation with the guy most of the time. While I've called him out on it a time or two, I don't get baited into his negativity. There are those who try to bait him, which in my opinion, makes their finger pointing even more ridiculous.

As for Floyd having to replace a whole team after Barbee's departure...more people get it than you think. Dont overlook that UAB practically just had to do the same thing...and won the conf tourney...and a game in the big tourney. That argument might've held true for 3 years, but certainly not 5. But you are entitled to cling to that opinion as long as you'd like. Others won't. But, since TF will be coaching this team for the next however many years, I wish him all the success in the world.

I just reported you VegasMiner. This topic is trolling. This is a UTEP sports forum and this topic has nothing to do with UTEP sports. Like I said...this is a UTEP Sports forum to discuss UTEP sports. If I am unhappy with Floyd and the basketball program I have every right to post it. If I say we haven't been to the NCAA Tourney yet under Floyd in 5 seasons.. etc... that is a fact and not trolling. I pay money to watch football and basketball games, I am a UTEP fan but if I am not happy, I have every right to voice it on here. If you don't like it don't read it. I am not going to come on here and be like Floyd is the greatest UTEP basketball is headed in the right direction cause Floyd is winning 20 games in CUSA. I want UTEP to play in the NCAA Tourney every season and we should be playing every year. I have expectations for UTEP BB.

I would agree that Carlos' intent is often times to piss people off, no doubt. But few posters are able to see beyond that and they get dragged into unnecessary drama. It takes two to tango as the saying goes. He does bring a certain amount of realism rather than idealism at times, and he often is the only one in a conversation who brings factual info to the table. .

I have asked him several times and I have shown him several times any circumstantial evidence as to why, who, what, when, how of UTEP athletics, and he still throws out unsubstantiated information on Floyd. Please don't give the crap he "brings factual info"!

I have asked him several times and I have shown him several times any circumstantial evidence as to why, who, what, when, how of UTEP athletics, and he still throws out unsubstantiated information on Floyd. Please don't give the crap he "brings factual info"!

He brings a subjective stance just like everybody else, however there are times he brings some figures up, which I will take the time to look up and verify for myself, while people argue endlessly with him , all the while avoiding his questions as well. I'm aware of times he has asked you questions, which you wouldnt answer. Listen, I don't know the guy from Fred, nor do I know you, but to assert that he never backs his shit up diminishes your own credibility some. You must be so caught up in the dislike of him that you fail to recognize, and or verify for yourself some of the facts he brings to the table. I'm not here to defend anybody but I call em as I see em. It's easy to see when he's stirring the pot and when he is honestly defending a point of view. That may be hard for you to see.

You know why you can have back and forth with me Leslie? Because you seem like an intelligent person able to see both sides of an argument.

I do not post here to "stir the pot", I look at the board when I have free time and if I see some unsubstantiated post, I will reply if I want to. If you have an opinion, I expect you to back it up. If you don't want to, then don't reply or ignore my posts.

It's as simple as that. I have been called a troll on this message board before so I am "self aware". When UTEP wins a "big" game, you will see a different type of posting from me. However, some of you need to check your definition of a big game. Victories over last place Pac 12 school's do not cut the mustard anymore.

I would love for you to find me five things positive you have said about utep this year Carlos....I really don't understand your point on here....are you really that bored where you to devote time out of your day just to irritate people on purpose.... You know damn well what you are doing...so stop with this I just don't understand mediocrity crap..... Utep could be in the top 25 and you would still spout your bullshit....

Please post 5 things UTEP has accomplished in the last 20 years that most G5 schools have not.

As has been pointed out, different people have a different definition for the term "troll." I found MinerDigs back in 1999, during Charlie Bailey's final year as football coach (he would go 5-7). My first ever post was to point out that while Bob Stull had a losing record during his first year as head coach (4-8), his teams were competitive in many of those games, and that this set the stage for the next two seasons (7-4, 10-3), where the Miners learned to win some of those close games. I then pointed out that Bailey's teams had been competitive for a couple of seasons, but hadn't yet learned how to win their fair share of close games, and asked the posters on the site at that time when they thought the team would finally turn the corner (they did the following year, going 8-4).

I was shocked at the response that I received. Considered to be a huge Miner homer by my family and friends, I was called a "fair weathered fan" by one member, and much worse by some others. The term "troll" wasn't as in vogue then, but if it had been I'm sure that I would have been called that as well. All of this for a post that didn't at all seem to me to be in any way negative.

And there in lies the problem. For some, any post that isn't 100% rainbows and unicorns is a negative post and comes from a pathetic troll. Personally, I like to see a difference of opinion, as long as these differences as discussed in a intelligent manner. Unfortunately, too often threads get derailed into becoming what used to be known as a "flame war", a shouting match between a small number of members. The fault for this lies with both "troll" and "cheerleader" alike.

If you want a better board, I have a few suggestions for how to handle a couple of different scenarios:

1. A poster says something that you vehemently disagree with.

Often, this will result in someone personally insulting the poster, which starts a flame war. Instead, carefully read the post. If the poster has used a logical, reasoned argument to make his or her point, respond with another logical, reasoned argument to make your counter point. This creates what I believe to be a healthy discussion. If, however, the original post that set you off is not supported by facts or logic, IGNORE IT!

2. A poster directly insults you.

IGNORE IT! I know that some here view El Paso Chihuahuas as a troll. Personally I believe that I agree with his posts more often than not. But Chihuahuas, if I can give you one critique, you allow yourself to be drawn into flame wars much too easily. If someone calls you a troll or uses a much worse slur against you, please IGNORE IT! And this goes for everyone else as well.

While there have definitely been members on here that I believe posted just to rile people up (RealmFx comes to mind), I believe that the vast majority of people here initially try to state an honest opinion. We have to recognize that there will be some people whose opinions vary quite wildly from our own, and that this is okay. Personally both those posters who have a perpetually pessimistic opinion and those who have a perpetually optimistic opinion drive me crazy, as I prefer to read objective, logical, fact based opinions. I don't, however, wish that anyone whose opinion disagrees with my own be banned.

At the risk of being redundant, if you see something that you don't like, and don't feel that you can write a reasoned, non-insulting response to it, IGNORE IT! This board would be much better if everyone would follow that advice.

As has been pointed out, different people have a different definition for the term "troll." I found MinerDigs back in 1999, during Charlie Bailey's final year as football coach (he would go 5-7). My first ever post was to point out that while Bob Stull had a losing record during his first year as head coach (4-8), his teams were competitive in many of those games, and that this set the stage for the next two seasons (7-4, 10-3), where the Miners learned to win some of those close games. I then pointed out that Bailey's teams had been competitive for a couple of seasons, but hadn't yet learned how to win their fair share of close games, and asked the posters on the site at that time when they thought the team would finally turn the corner (they did the following year, going 8-4).

I was shocked at the response that I received. Considered to be a huge Miner homer by my family and friends, I was called a "fair weathered fan" by one member, and much worse by some others. The term "troll" wasn't as in vogue then, but if it had been I'm sure that I would have been called that as well. All of this for a post that didn't at all seem to me to be in any way negative.

And there in lies the problem. For some, any post that isn't 100% rainbows and unicorns is a negative post and comes from a pathetic troll. Personally, I like to see a difference of opinion, as long as these differences as discussed in a intelligent manner. Unfortunately, too often threads get derailed into becoming what used to be known as a "flame war", a shouting match between a small number of members. The fault for this lies with both "troll" and "cheerleader" alike.

If you want a better board, I have a few suggestions for how to handle a couple of different scenarios:

1. A poster says something that you vehemently disagree with.

Often, this will result in someone personally insulting the poster, which starts a flame war. Instead, carefully read the post. If the poster has used a logical, reasoned argument to make his or her point, respond with another logical, reasoned argument to make your counter point. This creates what I believe to be a healthy discussion. If, however, the original post that set you off is not supported by facts or logic, IGNORE IT!

2. A poster directly insults you.

IGNORE IT! I know that some here view El Paso Chihuahuas as a troll. Personally I believe that I agree with his posts more often than not. But Chihuahuas, if I can give you one critique, you allow yourself to be drawn into flame wars much too easily. If someone calls you a troll or uses a much worse slur against you, please IGNORE IT! And this goes for everyone else as well.

While there have definitely been members on here that I believe posted just to rile people up (RealmFx comes to mind), I believe that the vast majority of people here initially try to state an honest opinion. We have to recognize that there will be some people whose opinions vary quite wildly from our own, and that this is okay. Personally both those posters who have a perpetually pessimistic opinion and those who have a perpetually optimistic opinion drive me crazy, as I prefer to read objective, logical, fact based opinions. I don't, however, wish that anyone whose opinion disagrees with my own be banned.

At the risk of being redundant, if you see something that you don't like, and don't feel that you can write a reasoned, non-insulting response to it, IGNORE IT! This board would be much better if everyone would follow that advice.

I like it.

You know why you can have back and forth with me Leslie? Because you seem like an intelligent person able to see both sides of an argument.

I do not post here to "stir the pot", I look at the board when I have free time and if I see some unsubstantiated post, I will reply if I want to. If you have an opinion, I expect you to back it up. If you don't want to, then don't reply or ignore my posts.

It's as simple as that. I have been called a troll on this message board before so I am "self aware". When UTEP wins a "big" game, you will see a different type of posting from me. However, some of you need to check your definition of a big game. Victories over last place Pac 12 school's do not cut the mustard anymore.

C'mon, as open minded as I might remain, I have a hard time believing that you don't get a kick out of mixing it up a bit just for the sake of doing so. Either that or you really really really want to hammer into people's minds where you stand in relation to a particular subject matter. Just sayin.

The only thing I get a kick out of is people's expectations, or in this case lack there of. If someone gets upset at a message board post, they should get some thicker skin and not take UTEP athletics so seriously.

The only thing I get a kick out of is people's expectations, or in this case lack there of. If someone gets upset at a message board post, they should get some thicker skin and not take UTEP athletics so seriously.

Now that part I agree with, aside from it being a derogatory or otherwise insulting post.

I can't respect those who claim to be UTEP fans, bitch and whine about everything they see wrong with the program, but spend very little money and time attending games and justify it in their minds by saying they're not going to support mediocrity. I also think these types have a poor grasp of the recruiting battle UTEP fights nationally.

I say be a part of the solution and support your team with your pocketbook. If you do, you have every right to be critical because you've invested. That said, I draw the line at attacking student athletes.

Last edited:
I can't respect those who claim to be UTEP fans, bitch and whine about everything they see wrong with the program, but spend very little money and time attending games and justify it in their minds by saying they're not going to support mediocrity. I also think these types have a poor grasp of the recruiting battle UTEP competes with nationally.

I say be a part of the solution and support your team with your pocketbook. If you do, you every right to be critical because you've invested. That said, I draw the line at attacking student athletes.

There are lots of other teams that win more and bigger games with less fans and who have worse facilities and conferences. Simply buying tickets is a tired, lame, weak excuse for a teams shortcomings.

Are you telling me that UTEP can only win games in front of 10,000 and 40,000 people?

There are lots of other teams that win more and bigger games with less fans and who have worse facilities and conferences. Simply buying tickets is a tired, lame, weak excuse for a teams shortcomings.

Are you telling me that UTEP can only win games in front of 10,000 and 40,000 people?

Money matters in college sports. If you're not contributing it in some way, at the level you can afford, you're just spewing hot air. I'll restrain myself from asking how many basketball games you attended last season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT