ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Basketball 2015-16 Schedule Announced

I hope to see UTEP basketball in the NCAA Tournament soon. That's is all. This schedule won't accomplish that.

I'm sure we all agree. All you as a fan can really do to help them get back there is go early, be loud, and stay late, spending a little money and time supporting your (imperfect) team.

It's not the same, but making money is. People love their cars and houses too. Does that mean a person should keep dumping money into the 96 camaro? Does that mean you should try and renovate your grandma's house that you loved so much as a kid? No of course not.

If your business is failing, you can only dump money into it so long before it's a loss. Doesn't mean you didn't have your heart in it. Enjoy those garbage, boring, blowout games. I'll listen on the radio while I watch more entertaining games on TV.
Every team has one, we're no different with Carla.

Reactions: unihorn
This schedule sucks. It is a slap to the face of all Miners Basketball fans, particularly those who invest hard earned money in buying season tickets and attending all the home games. Little did we know, the Sun Bowl Invitational Tournament, which was met with some approval, would be the highlight of the home OOC schedule. What a load of crock.

I'm sure we all agree. All you as a fan can really do to help them get back there is go early, be loud, and stay late, spending a little money and time supporting your (imperfect) team.

Going to the games has no bearing on a team's ability to win. Last season, a sold out crowd didn't help UTEP beat Arizona. LaTech averaged 50% of what UTEP did, but they won the regular season championship and kicked our ass twice. UTEP beat Xavier in front of maybe 1,000 fans.

12,000 fans are not going to make free throws, defend, make shots, or draw up plays. Having 6,000 there is great and is the norm. A lot of D1 schools would kill for that. Its not the fans fault UTEP lost games last year. It's the coaches and players that missed shots and got T'd up. The fans aren't the problem, UTEP is.

Stull and Floyd should both be fired after this sorry ass schedule. Its apparent that Stull's expectations for UTEP basketball are very low and doesn't care about making the NCAA Tournament. Its obvious both of them only have the bar set at winning 20 games every season.

Epsilon, it's clear you don't know much about the basketball program. Going to the games and getting season tickets are the solution. Winning 20 games is a great accomplishment and schools like FAU and FIU are totally jealous. Georgia St beat Baylor in the NCAAs last year, but they are lucky to get 3,000 a game. I would rather draw 8,000 and fail in the NIT than draw 3,000, beat a good team, and draw attention to the basketball program.

Reactions: El Paso Chihuahuas
Epsilon, it's clear you don't know much about the basketball program. Going to the games and getting season tickets are the solution. Winning 20 games is a great accomplishment and schools like FAU and FIU are totally jealous. Georgia St beat Baylor in the NCAAs last year, but they are lucky to get 3,000 a game. I would rather draw 8,000 and fail in the NIT than draw 3,000, beat a good team, and draw attention to the basketball program.

Since Barbee seems to have met your standard, how many home games did you attend in his last year here?

Since Barbee seems to have met your standard, how many home games did you attend in his last year here?

From about 1999-2010 I attended about 75% of UTEP's home games. So most of Barbees last year I was at most home games. During Floyd's first year, my priorities changed and I didn't clear my schedule for Miner hoops or football.

By then the football team was in the shitter with Price and skipping games was common place. Now I only attend games against teams I would pay to see and if they're not on TV. I'd rather be at home with my big screen and bathroom, multiple games, and no traffic. Got it?

From about 1999-2010 I attended about 75% of UTEP's home games. So most of Barbees last year I was at most home games. During Floyd's first year, my priorities changed and I didn't clear my schedule for Miner hoops or football.

By then the football team was in the shitter with Price and skipping games was common place. Now I only attend games against teams I would pay to see and if they're not on TV. I'd rather be at home with my big screen and bathroom, multiple games, and no traffic. Got it?

Got it, and am glad to hear you attended then. Some fans don't want to "time the market" but prefer to stay invested during the ups and downs. This doesn't make us dupes. I also enjoyed Barbee's run and attended most of those games. I choose to support the program financially in its effort to get back. I'm not satisfied with the performance, but prefer to stay engaged.

Reactions: Cicileslie
That's your choice, but you should understand some people's choice to stay home. How many times do we have to watch the same Alcorn St game? The players and coaches might change, but it's the same old ish.

The Schedule is very weak! The only top 100 RPI opportunities are NMSU and Colorado St in the Corpus Tourney Thing. With that said Utep hasn't done much with the tougher schedules under Floyd, so let's see if they can stock pile wins and confidence and go into the conf tourney with 25+ wins and finally win it, but UAB will be tough to beat at home!

There has to be a logical explanation for the weak schedule. Its just teams are scared to play UTEP. Kentucky was scared to play UTEP for that anniversary game this season and all the other teams saw it and they are scared too.

Well yeah. If you were Calipari would you want to coach against a guy who has made 2 NITs and 1 CBI in 5 years? Would you want to play against Josh McSwiggan and that Mexican walk on?

Well yeah. If you were Calipari would you want to coach against a guy who has made 2 NITs and 1 CBI in 5 years? Would you want to play against Josh McSwiggan and that Mexican walk on?

Slam Floyd all you want, but be better than attacking student athletes.

Thats so true. I am sure he watched the UNM and Murray State ,blowout games, I mean games in the NIT and did not want his bench players to roll an ankle or something

The Schedule is very weak! The only top 100 RPI opportunities are NMSU and Colorado St in the Corpus Tourney Thing. With that said Utep hasn't done much with the tougher schedules under Floyd, so let's see if they can stock pile wins and confidence and go into the conf tourney with 25+ wins and finally win it, but UAB will be tough to beat at home!

UAB was too scared to come back here this year.

That was fast...these guys graduated from a circle jerk to a full out bukkake fest in no time.

Cue the innocent like question "what's a bukkake?" and the weak attempt at wit from from old multiple personality.

Going to the games has no bearing on a team's ability to win. Last season, a sold out crowd didn't help UTEP beat Arizona. LaTech averaged 50% of what UTEP did, but they won the regular season championship and kicked our ass twice. UTEP beat Xavier in front of maybe 1,000 fans.

12,000 fans are not going to make free throws, defend, make shots, or draw up plays. Having 6,000 there is great and is the norm. A lot of D1 schools would kill for that. Its not the fans fault UTEP lost games last year. It's the coaches and players that missed shots and got T'd up. The fans aren't the problem, UTEP is.

But wouldn't you rather have a good team and 12,000 loud fans than 5-6000 sitting on their A$$ watching a boring game. I know I would. That is what this season will be.

But wouldn't you rather have a good team and 12,000 loud fans than 5-6000 sitting on their A$$ watching a boring game. I know I would. That is what this season will be.

Well yeah, never said I don't want sell-out crowds. However, it is not happening. The games will be boring. I doubt Floyd is even going to let them ball. Probably see his boring offense to slow down the games.

Only game that will come close to 12k is the Aggie game and that depends on our record and how many Aggie fans go.

Well yeah, never said I don't want sell-out crowds. However, it is not happening. The games will be boring. I doubt Floyd is even going to let them ball. Probably see his boring offense to slow down the games.

Only game that will come close to 12k is the Aggie game and that depends on our record and how many Aggie fans go.

We havent sold out an NMSU basketball game in the last ten years. Its probably been alot long than that. The battle of I 10 has been steadily losing steam and interest for years. I wont speak for them but our fanbase seems to have moved past the rivalry.

We havent sold out an NMSU basketball game in the last ten years. Its probably been alot long than that. The battle of I 10 has been steadily losing steam and interest for years. I wont speak for them but our fanbase seems to have moved past the rivalry.

I think it's lost steam on both sides. NMSU and UNM is a much bigger rivalry.

I would agree that the rivalry has lost steam too, but when have the Miners and Aggies both had good teams the same year?

Goes back to my point of scheduling different teams. People tired of the same old same old. Except for the honks who will buy tickets to anything. I'm not saying we shouldn't schedule NMSU, but something needs to change. Why can't that be the opening game? One year It's here, next it's there. Schedule the other one in early December. Do something different!

Remember this important date - March 13, 2016 is Selection Sunday when the top 68 teams are picked for March Madness. It is also the day when the NIT announces its selections. Will the DHC be in use on the dates of March 15, 16, or 17 to host the opening NIT game? That schedule will not get you in the "the Dance" as an at- large unless they win the conference tournament.

Carlos you hate ctf, and rather have a coach that builds a program with a 1/2 n 1/2 mixture, get to the big dance, leave us, and do it all over again and over again at least we have a coach that loves our city, and wins 20 plus games, kinda suks if March madness doesn't go our way by conference tournament champs we cant get in but it is what it is

Carlos you hate ctf, and rather have a coach that builds a program with a 1/2 n 1/2 mixture, get to the big dance, leave us, and do it all over again and over again at least we have a coach that loves our city, and wins 20 plus games, kinda suks if March madness doesn't go our way by conference tournament champs we cant get in but it is what it is
How many job has Floyd interviewed for since he has been here???? AT least BG and Barbee took us to the NCAA Tourney before leaving. Floyd doesn't even care about doing that. Barbee and BG turned the program around and advanced to the NCAA Tourney and thats why they got hired. Floyd interviews but nobody wants a coach that can't do anything in a weak ass CUSA...thats why Floyd is still here.
And once again Barbee built his program with 99.9% freshman players. And you talk about building a program....it doesn't take 5 years to build a program in a weak ass CUSA.

I do not hate CTF. I hate that most fans do not hold him accountable. Winning 20 games is not an accomplishment anymore. Just because he "loves" El Paso, doesn't he should be able to coach here forever. What events is he at? What charitable things does he do in EP?

Mike Price loved El Paso too, does that mean he should still be the football coach? Floyd has not brought a CUSA championship or an NCAA berth here in 5 years. Twice the CUSA tourney was here and he came up empty both times. LaTech does more with less. Floyd is the highest paid coach ever here and has the largest recruiting budget. He can't even win a CBI home game against a team with a losing record!

BG and Barbee got teams to the tournament in less time and did it in tougher leagues. Barbee battled Coach Cal at Memphis and did well. Floyd can't even beat MTSU in the CUSA Tourney. He needs to produce asap.

I'm of the opinion, Just Win and it will take care of itself. With tougher schedules Utep hasn't won the Big Games and honestly this schedule is about the same as when Barbee was here. They will also probably play CSU in the tourney and CSU is always top 50 RPI. Point is in all this complaining about the schedule is pointless with a Floyd team that hasn't proven anything with the tougher schedules yet. Just win all the games your supposed to and some that you aren't and let's see where the chips lay this year. I have no expectations good or bad, cause that way I won't be disappointed and may be surprised. Its pretty much how I feel dating!

This is how Coach Haskins always booked the schedule. Everybody complained about the cupcakes. He needed time to train his team. Also, a lot of wins will make the team expect to win and give them confidence.

However, I sure did enjoy the sold out DHC for the Arizona game last year. A few more points and it would have been even better.

This is how Coach Haskins always booked the schedule. Everybody complained about the cupcakes. He needed time to train his team. Also, a lot of wins will make the team expect to win and give them confidence.

The problem with that analogy is the WAC was strong back then. UTEP didn't need to win the Conference Tournament to get into the Big Dance.

The only conclusion I can come to about this schedule is it sets up Floyd (and Stull) to continue their "building" narrative with 15 then 18 then 23 then 22 (next 24+?) wins post losing the "loaded" Barbee team he inherited. That plus a riverboat gambler's paradigm of putting all your chips on the conference tourney for a (slim) shot at March Madness. If you miss that shot, you still have the NIT and the above narrative (if you win 24+). And next season, of course...

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT