ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Basketball 2015-16 Schedule Announced

La Tech may not be bringing in the fans, but they are anything but a bottom of the barrel program your words suggest. But then again, things aren't as dire here as you and your cronies make it out to be. I guess if Floyd's record was flipped with White's, you'd be feeling much better in spite of zero NCAA appearances. Yet White's job was in no way in jeapordy.

La Tech may not be bringing in the fans, but they are anything but a bottom of the barrel program your words suggest. But then again, things aren't as dire here as you and your cronies make it out to be. I guess if Floyd's record was flipped with White's, you'd be feeling much better in spite of zero NCAA appearances. Yet White's job was in no way in jeapordy.

I never said LaTech was a bottom of the barrel program. Whites job was no way in jeopardy because he was the one winning conference titles. How hard is that to understand? Tim Floyd hasn't done ANYTHING here, while newer, hungrier coaches did. White is an example of what is easily possible.

UTEP doesn't take risks, that's why they're in CUSA playing FIU and MTSU.

Reactions: El Paso Chihuahuas
If White is an example of what is easily possible, then the Miner program is right there with him. Zero NCAA appearances. Remember, you're the one who set the bar. Don't go back on it or be hypocritical. All that matters is the Big Dance. Admit it, flip Floyd with White, and you'd be just as pissed. Why give White the pass? Zero NCAA appearances.

If White is an example of what is easily possible, then the Miner program is right there with him. Zero NCAA appearances. Remember, you're the one who set the bar. Don't go back on it or be hypocritical. All that matters is the Big Dance. Admit it, flip Floyd with White, and you'd be just as pissed. Why give White the pass? Zero NCAA appearances.

I promise you that VERY few (if any) people would disappointed if UTEP went 101-40 the past 4 seasons, won championships, won games in the postseason, and got Top 25 rankings. There is a reason Florida hired him.

Reactions: STCarlosEP

No mid major is going to fire a coach for winning regular season conference championships 2 years in a row after stepping up to a better league. They won games in the NIT each year.

They don't have the basketball tradition, the facilities, fan base, or ex-nba and successful college coach, but they still did things Floyd hasn't been able to do. That is the point. We are used to making the Dance and our last 3 coaches made it in 4 years or less!

Everyone comes up with excuses for Floyd's shortcomings. If UTEP won a regular season championship or won games in the NIT, I could see believing in him, but it's been 5 years of the same crap. LaTech doesn't have the same expectations that UTEP does. That has always been my point.

Other schools do MORE with LESS. Floyd SHOULD be fired If he doesn't make the Dance this year. No question. It does not take 7 years to get to the NCAAs at UTEP. Maybe other schools, not here.

Zero NCAA appearances. Carlos is asking why La Tech does more with less. The ultimate bar you guys have set is must be invited to the Big Dance for a season to be considered a success. I'm just saying La Tech has not done more, according to the bar and logic you guys use. You cannot convince me, or probably anyone else here, your little anti Floyd cartel would be pleased with championships and no, none, zero NCAA appearances. Where White has ended up means zilch here. I'm pointing out the hypocrisy in your cartel. Got it? I mean three championships and can't win the tournament in this weak league once? With the talent they had they can't win three games against weak cusa competition? But that Floyd should be canned and White gets a pass, in your cartel's eyes, only magnifies your agenda. Stick to your convictions. NCAA appearance or bust. Not surprised at your hypocrisy though, you did say you expected no less than an NIT appearance for Floyd to keep his job, in your eyes, before this last season started. What happened? Oh yeah...I changed my mind. Weak.

This whole White argument is moot, he was hired by Florida . Dropping the mic..............

Carlos, zero appearances. Zero, none. That's the bar your cartel set. Championship? Who cares! That's exactly what your little cartel would be bitching about were the circumstances switched. We know.

Your drifting again chi...that's not the point, I won't dispute that though. He nor La Tech accomplish more NCAA appearances than UTEP. The bar set by your cartel.

At least White delivered a CUSA regular season championship and 2 NIT wins. At least he did something. We can't say that with Floyd. And Floyd has NBA experience and has coached at a high level in the NCAA. White is moving his way up.

Zero appearances. Not a Floyd versus White thing. Why can't your cartel stick to your convictions? NCAA or bust. White failed where Floyd failed in this weak league. Why the love for White? Same results according to your ultimate bar for success.

Has anyone ever considered that maybe its just not realistic to think that Utep will ever be the perennial NCAA Team they were in the 80s and early 90s. The climate, saturation and social media age of College Sports has changed. When Utep actually gets an elite player like Vince Hunter, they can't wait to get out of el paso. Then it doesn't help that under Floyd his fault or not, players who have great talent to take this team to the next level or players who would've taken this team to the next level never come, transfer, or do dumb stuff to get kicked off. My point is Utep might be a NCAA twice a decade and NIT every other year type of school now. I don't want to accept that, but maybe our expectation are no longer realistic in this day in age of College Basketball... I hope I'm wrong

Reactions: Cicileslie
Zero appearances. Not a Floyd versus White thing. Why can't your cartel stick to your convictions? NCAA or bust. White failed where Floyd failed in this weak league. Why the love for White? Same results according to your ultimate bar for success.
If Floyd won a CUSA regular season title and NIT victories I would not be bad mouthing him. At least that would show we are headed in the right direction. Like when Barbee reached the CBI Finals against Oregon State. Ya it was the CBI, but we were a young team and you knew we were headed in the right direction. With Floyd, he has shown us nothing.
You bad mouth White, but he out coached Floyd this past season and blew us off the court in both games. Floyd had no answer.

Has anyone ever considered that maybe its just not realistic to think that Utep will ever be the perennial NCAA Team they were in the 80s and early 90s. The climate, saturation and social media age of College Sports has changed. When Utep actually gets an elite player like Vince Hunter, they can't wait to get out of el paso. Then it doesn't help that under Floyd his fault or not, players who have great talent to take this team to the next level or players who would've taken this team to the next level never come, transfer, or do dumb stuff to get kicked off. My point is Utep might be a NCAA twice a decade and NIT every other year type of school now. I don't want to accept that, but maybe our expectation are no longer realistic in this day in age of College Basketball... I hope I'm wrong
I give this a 2 out of 10 on the Tim Floyd Excuse Scale.

The argument over White and Floyd comes down to grading them for their time at each school.
White: 83, two regular season titles and two NIT wins, Zero NCAA tournaments
Floyd: 79, No regular season titles, two NIT appearances with 0 wins, Zero NCAA tournaments

Has Floyd underachieved? The answer is Yes. Has he had some bad luck and again the answer is yes. Floyd only slightly underachieved. Did Mike White overachieve and the answer is Yes, but not by much.

The cartel missed my point, purposely I believe. I did not bad mouth White, I know he's an excellent coach. I was not comparing him to Floyd. I was pointing out their hypocrisy. They have stated that for a season to be considered successful it must end with a trip to the NCAA. This was pointed out ad nauseum a few months back after the season ended when Stull said he didn't consider a season to be a failure by not reaching the Dance. The cartel went apeshit. Carlos in particular heaps praise on La Tech for accomplishing more with less. I point out they have done nothing more than UTEP, as in White's tenure, they too failed to reach the NCAA. That's the mark set by the anti Floyd cartel as the ultimate successful season. By their logic, White and La Tech was no better than UTEP. Yet they twist their convictions for their own agenda. He won more games, he won league championships, he won in the post season NIT. Big deal right? Where's the NCAA appearance in this weak conference they so love to remind us we are in? You can bet you're bottom dollar they'd still be bitching about Floyd not making the Big dance if you flipped White with Floyd. That's my last word on this, just pointing out the hypocrisy of the small cartel.

Allminer,

I have never stated that an NCAA appearance is the end all be all of a successful season. It depends on how long the coach has been there, the situation coming into the season or tenure, and the school's history. For a coach that regularly made the NCAAs at all his previous stops, he is defined by his ability to get to the NCAA Tournament. He is not a first time head coach.

BG turned around the program with 1 recruiting class, shared the 2004 WAC title, and earned an at-large berth. Has Floyd done any of that? No.

Doc won the the 2005 WAC Tournament title, automatically getting into the 05 tourney and won a game in the NIT. Has Floyd done any of that? No.

Barbee won games in the CBI, beat a Calipari coached team, won the 2010 CUSA Title, earned an at-large berth to the tournament and did it in a tougher league. Has Floyd done any of that? No.

So when you compare him to our last 3 coaches, he just doesn't suck, he farking sucks. He hasn't done one single thing that the other coaches accomplished. The only thing different is now we're playing in a weaker conference.

Would you hire a coach who takes 6 years (big maybe at best) to make the NCAAs? UTEP is not Northwestern.

Allminer,

I have never stated that an NCAA appearance is the end all be all of a successful season. It depends on how long the coach has been there, the situation coming into the season or tenure, and the school's history. For a coach that regularly made the NCAAs at all his previous stops, he is defined by his ability to get to the NCAA Tournament. He is not a first time head coach.

BG turned around the program with 1 recruiting class, shared the 2004 WAC title, and earned an at-large berth. Has Floyd done any of that? No.

Doc won the the 2005 WAC Tournament title, automatically getting into the 05 tourney and won a game in the NIT. Has Floyd done any of that? No.

Barbee won games in the CBI, beat a Calipari coached team, won the 2010 CUSA Title, earned an at-large berth to the tournament and did it in a tougher league. Has Floyd done any of that? No.

So when you compare him to our last 3 coaches, he just doesn't suck, he farking sucks. He hasn't done one single thing that the other coaches accomplished. The only thing different is now we're playing in a weaker conference.

Would you hire a coach who takes 6 years (big maybe at best) to make the NCAAs? UTEP is not Northwestern.

"Hell is repetition."

When are you guys going to get it? Until the (lack of) mods take control of this board, these ridiculous threads will continue, and good posters will vanish.

Please, everyone block the idiots so we can chat as real fans, not the other garbage....

When are you guys going to get it? Until the (lack of) mods take control of this board, these ridiculous threads will continue, and good posters will vanish.

Please, everyone block the idiots so we can chat as real fans, not the other garbage....

You tell em Ron! We need more threads of you hyping up your beer specials and your big screen tv for popular sporting events! Those posts rock!

BTW, I have heard Carlos call sportstalk a few times. Steve makes him look like the fool he is.....

For the record, I am just annoyed with this crap. I LOVE talking sports, especially UTEP, and message boards are cool when used correctly. I have been all over the net reading all sorts of sports boards. NEVER have I seen the s$*% that populates this board. Go ahead, have negative comments about UTEP, Floyd, Stull, my momma.....this has ZERO to do with opposite opinions....

Carlos, I post OT. Don't like it? Don't click. It's cool. I don't do it very often. I want folks to know there are options to watch all sports at my place. Some people don't even know it's a bar. Count the posts I do trying to promote my bar brotha.....nice try at an attack.

Steve is a GREAT talkshow host. Unless you are vulgar and disrespect people, he will give you time on the air. Lots of love for Steve. I have heard you stuttering and stumbling around when he corrects you, something we don't get a chance to do because you hide on a message board where you have time to come up with rebuttal.

I won't get into your game buddy. I was curious to read what you had to say. Unfortunately, it still isn't good reading. Back to the ignore list....

So many folks on ignore, I wonder why I even come here anymore.....

Like I said before this is a UTEP sports discussion forum. If people are disgruntled with UTEP sports they have every right to post it. The name calling comes from the "non trolls" all the time cause they can't come back with facts.

I didn't mean that Floyd would play his walk-ons all game. I will dumb it down for you slower posters going forward. I establish a lot of valid points, you can check my "Likes Received" column and compare it to others. You can also go back and look at all the questions I posed to homer fans. They remained unanswered.

Hey Carlos, you make the point you know what you are talking about because of the "Likes" received. Really great with your lovefest between you and Chihuahua. Each of "you" always likes each other. It is just that you have the runs, you post every time you think you have a great thought, and your lover dog likes it. That doesn't make you a great poster with genuine insight. Also, just because no one posts a reply, doesn't make it a valid point, but rather so idiotic and not worth a reasonable reply. Get over looking at your reflection in the mirror. Just like a short man that gets a flashy sports car....

Carlos, I post OT. Don't like it? Don't click. It's cool. I don't do it very often. I want folks to know there are options to watch all sports at my place. Some people don't even know it's a bar. Count the posts I do trying to promote my bar brotha.....nice try at an attack.

Steve is a GREAT talkshow host. Unless you are vulgar and disrespect people, he will give you time on the air. Lots of love for Steve. I have heard you stuttering and stumbling around when he corrects you, something we don't get a chance to do because you hide on a message board where you have time to come up with rebuttal.

I won't get into your game buddy. I was curious to read what you had to say. Unfortunately, it still isn't good reading. Back to the ignore list....

So many folks on ignore, I wonder why I even come here anymore.....

I don't stutter around, but whatever makes you feel better about yourself. I don't need to read off a script. What calls did you listen to where Steve corrected me? When do you call?

Reactions: Epsilon00
I think people on this board who are always expressing negative and cynical opinions about our coaches and players are not real fans. Real fans are positive, especially after the die is cast. The die is that Coach Floyd will be around for at least 2 more years. Real fans pull together and support their team, even if they're homies, wisher thinkers, naive, and whatnot.

I also think negative comments by fans and alumna discourage the players.
Just my 2 cents. Unhappy critics should find a sport's team they like and root for them.

Reactions: miner1liner
I think people on this board who are always expressing negative and cynical opinions about our coaches and players are not real fans. Real fans are positive, especially after the die is cast. The die is that Coach Floyd will be around for at least 2 more years. Real fans pull together and support their team, even if they're homies, wisher thinkers, naive, and whatnot.

I also think negative comments by fans and alumna discourage the players.
Just my 2 cents. Unhappy critics should find a sport's team they like and root for them.

You're right! Negativity is never allowed. UTEP went to the Sweet Sixteen in 1992!!!!!! What was I thinking? We made the Sweet 16!!! Not every team can say they have made the Sweet 16!!! GO MINERS!!!!

You're right! Negativity is never allowed. UTEP went to the Sweet Sixteen in 1992!!!!!! What was I thinking? We made the Sweet 16!!! Not every team can say they have made the Sweet 16!!! GO MINERS!!!!
I'm not against constructive criticism. That's different from a downer mentality. Some posters seem more concerned about proving their dire analysis than supporting the teams we have. Talking about yesterday's successes and failures is pointless to doing our job as fans, which is to support and encourage the team and coaches.

Enjoy the sport without dissecting it.

Reactions: Cicileslie
It's funny Carlos says he is a fan but he has never to my knowledge posted something positive about Utep sports in general..... And if he has the ratio is something like 100-1.... Every time I ask him to show otherwise he can't, and then says something totally off topic to change the subject ...... Carlos why do you spend your time on here acting like a 5 year old kid?

Carlos/ chi/music just wants to mess with us because nmsu board is sorry , he doesn't have anything else to do but post negative things all dam day

I'm not against constructive criticism. That's different from a downer mentality. Some posters seem more concerned about proving their dire analysis than supporting the teams we have. Talking about yesterday's successes and failures is pointless to doing our job as fans, which is to support and encourage the team and coaches.

Enjoy the sport without dissecting it.

To me, and as evidences by a number of posters here, the fun about sports is looking at the good AND the bad.

It's funny Carlos says he is a fan but he has never to my knowledge posted something positive about Utep sports in general..... And if he has the ratio is something like 100-1.... Every time I ask him to show otherwise he can't, and then says something totally off topic to change the subject ...... Carlos why do you spend your time on here acting like a 5 year old kid?

I don't agree with everything Carlos says, but he's posted a lot of positive things about UTEP and actually provides good analysis most of the time.

We've been over this several times already. I asked you to post 5 things UTEP football & basketball has accomplished over the last 23 years. You have yet to attempt that.

My point is there's nothing that UTEP has done that others haven't. Coach Kugler seems to have the football program in the right direction and if he improves in some way, I will continue to think so.

Basketball is another story though. As probably evidenced today, Floyd still continues to recruit players that can't stay eligible at a school that accepts 99% of its applicants. UTEP is not Rice, UT or other countless schools that turn down students. Even though the Engineering and Hispanic aspect is great for the school, it doesn't mean that it's a great school.

So argue with me all you want, but come up with something those 2 UTEP sports have accomplished. You have 23 years of results to work with!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT