ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Basketball Recruiting

We also got stomped at home by Seattle U. , who finished in fourth place in the WAC. At this point, I'd be mildly surprised if we can even steal a player from Tarleton St. 😉
I don't think any of that matters. That's old news. We know... we know... UTEP sucked up until the last 6 games of the season, bla bla bla .... last year is in the rearview mirror and recruiting isn't 100% based on who you beat the year prior anyways. Just cause Golding brought in a player we're not impressed with doesn't even mean he's coming here. Let's see what happens when this recruiting finishes. None of us have been impressed with Golding as a recruiter, so I don't think anyone is surprised. Get the right pieces to add to the returnees Golding and make a run at the NCAA, that's all we ask Joe!

I don't think any of that matters. That's old news. We know... we know... UTEP sucked up until the last 6 games of the season, bla bla bla .... last year is in the rearview mirror and recruiting isn't 100% based on who you beat the year prior anyways. Just cause Golding brought in a player we're not impressed with doesn't even mean he's coming here. Let's see what happens when this recruiting finishes. None of us have been impressed with Golding as a recruiter, so I don't think anyone is surprised. Get the right pieces to add to the returnees Golding and make a run at the NCAA, that's all we ask Joe!
A bit of tongue in cheek there Natty. It was more a reference to where CUSA currently stands in terms of pecking order to other conferences, which does affect recruiting (not in a good way).

Also, I do like Barnes (Tarleton) and Grant (Temple JC), and I am hoping they do sign. If both do sign, it probably means Hebb won't be back. Like you mentioned, we still need a forward.

Last year's team couldn't even beat ACU and Seattle U. I don't even think Golding has replaced Hardy with anyone. Who will score??

I'm not impressed. Why does Golding recruit like he is still at ACU? Walden has proven Utep can recruit high major players. Golding and his staff aren't recruiting high major players.
I frequently see comments like this, but the truth is that if Golding recruited like he did when he was at ACU we'd be much better off right now. I've said it countless times on this board, but any of his last three teams would destroy us. Hell, ACU beat us soundly this year, and they weren't nearly as good as they were in those three seasons. Golding's recruiting is much worse than it was in his last job, despite being at a bigger school with more resources and tradition than his last one.

I remember a quote from him on his first year where he admitted that recruiting wasn't going as well as he expected. He claimed that UTEP was no longer the name it used to be, something that he would have to fix. There's a huge problem with that claim. His predecessor was able to bring in a future All Big 12 player (Williams), a future All Big East player (Boum), and a future MEAC Player of the Year (Tarke). Additionally, Bienemy was miles better than any PG he has recruited, Odigie was a better rebounding version of Hamilton, and Lathon, Hawkins, and Kennedy have played much better at their post UTEP schools than the vast majority of Golding's recruits have played here. Now Terry couldn't coach with a lick, but recruiting to UTEP was not an issue with him. It is a gargantuan issue with Golding (that, and not adjusting his defense to fit the personnel on the floor).

Bottom line:  please stop saying that Golding is recruiting like he is still back at ACU. That would actually be an improvement. He's gone to a bigger school and his recruiting has regressed, for whatever reason.

I frequently see comments like this, but the truth is that if Golding recruited like he did when he was at ACU we'd be much better off right now. I've said it countless times on this board, but any of his last three teams would destroy us. Hell, ACU beat us soundly this year, and they weren't nearly as good as they were in those three seasons. Golding's recruiting is much worse than it was in his last job, despite being at a bigger school with more resources and tradition than his last one.

I remember a quote from him on his first year where he admitted that recruiting wasn't going as well as he expected. He claimed that UTEP was no longer the name it used to be, something that he would have to fix. There's a huge problem with that claim. His predecessor was able to bring in a future All Big 12 player (Williams), a future All Big East player (Boum), and a future MEAC Player of the Year (Tarke). Additionally, Bienemy was miles better than any PG he has recruited, Odigie was a better rebounding version of Hamilton, and Lathon, Hawkins, and Kennedy have played much better at their post UTEP schools than the vast majority of Golding's recruits have played here. Now Terry couldn't coach with a lick, but recruiting to UTEP was not an issue with him. It is a gargantuan issue with Golding (that, and not adjusting his defense to fit the personnel on the floor).

Bottom line:  please stop saying that Golding is recruiting like he is still back at ACU. That would actually be an improvement. He's gone to a bigger school and his recruiting has regressed, for whatever reason.
Golding is recruiting like he is still back at ACU.

Golding is recruiting like he is still back at ACU.
He's recruiting at a low level for our expectations and based on previous coaches recruiting higher level players.

I've already said multiple times that he needs to go. That little run in the conference tournament gave Senter reason enough to keep him AND save money, but the bottom line is his recruiting is overall poor and his coaching is one dimensional.

So far all of the decent players from last year have stayed, but Golding hasn't even come close to bringing in anybody high profile (despite knowing that this will likely be his last season if he fails again).

Last edited:
He's recruiting at a low level for our expectations and based on previous coaches recruiting higher level players.

I've already said multiple times that he needs to go. That little run in the conference tournament gave Senter reason enough to keep him AND save money, but the bottom line is his recruiting is overall poor and his coaching is one dimensional.

So far all of the decent players from last year have stayed, but Golding hasn't even come close to bringing in anybody high profile (despite knowing that this will likely be his last season if he fails again).
I agree with with everyone about Golding's recruiting so far since he's been here. However did I miss something or do y'all know something I don't? I thought Bynum and KJ Thomas are the only 2 players inked so far? I'd say both of those players are about what UTEP has come to expect recently. Utep has 2 or 3 more recruits left. (Hoping Hebb leaves) So we'll see to what caliber the players are when it all shakes out. By these posts though it sounds as if basketball recruiting has already ended, but I do understand the lack of faith in Golding.

I agree with with everyone about Golding's recruiting so far since he's been here. However did I miss something or do y'all know something I don't? I thought Bynum and KJ Thomas are the only 2 players inked so far? I'd say both of those players are about what UTEP has come to expect recently. Utep has 2 or 3 more recruits left. (Hoping Hebb leaves) So we'll see to what caliber the players are when it all shakes out. By these posts though it sounds as if basketball recruiting has already ended, but I do understand the lack of faith in Golding.
Unless there are a couple of big suprises that we don't know about, there's no one coming that's going to save this recruiting cycle.

So you are saying there's a chance 😁

• Haha
Reactions: MineroFanatico

I was trolling but I agree. However maybe Golding is turning the corner on recruiting. Bynum was a solid get from a recruiting perspective.

It’s nice to get good recruits. Or even moderately touted recruits, however the only thing I care about is whether or not Golding can win with the team he assembles.

I say that because Paul Thomas was a 4 star and he sucked. That dude we got from SMU as a grad transfer that was a 4 star was decent but certainly not a difference maker. Brodricks Jones was a 4 star, top 100 player out of HS, and sucked.

Then we have a team like Saint Peters, who went to the Elite 8, who had no real star power but who gelled well and put it all together when it mattered.

I’m ready for CJG to go, however the reality is we have him for at least a year more. Unlike others, I didn’t want him at UTEP because of that ONE win in the tourney against UT, but rather the steady ascent of his team, a program that rests in the middle of nowhere. He built that program. Barring Covid, they would have been in the tourney 3 out of 4 years. That’s what enticed me. The game has changed immensely, though, even since CJG has been in EP. Maybe he can’t build a team anymore because of the NIL and transfer portal “issues”. However, him hanging on to damn near everyone shows maybe he is trying to build this program like he did before.

I don’t know. It is what it is and I hope he gets it figured out…more than I hope he gets the boot outta here.

Ordinarily holding on to all your players would be a positive sign but only 2 or 3 players showed enough last year that Id be upset if they left--the rest, I have no expectations they will improve and so them staying an additional year sounds like more of the same next year, except we won't even have Tae Hardy to provide a scoring spark anymore. I fear a long season next year.

Hope the new players are the missing pieces though. Hope springs eternal, for us Miner fans.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT