ADVERTISEMENT

Will Liberty be CUSA's first NY6 participant?

FeralFelidae

MI Miner Maniac
Sep 1, 2003
The announcers during the SMU-Tulane game are all-in advocating that 2-loss SMU should get the nod because they shouldn't be "punished" for playing P5 teams. I don't think SMU should be "rewarded" for losing to them, either.

The announcers during the SMU-Tulane game are all-in advocating that 2-loss SMU should get the nod because they shouldn't be "punished" for playing P5 teams. I don't think SMU should be "rewarded" for losing to them, either.
Yeah I'm hearing that too, I can see what they're saying, but I don't think they jump Liberty or at least for Utep and CUSA's sake I hope they don't. Liberty is probably going to jump to #20-22 in the College Football Rankings. Does SMU go from unranked to higher than that?

Yeah I'm hearing that too, I can see what they're saying, but I don't think they jump Liberty or at least for Utep and CUSA's sake I hope they don't. Liberty is probably going to jump to #20-22 in the College Football Rankings. Does SMU go from unranked to higher than that?
SMU is the better team but won't pass Liberty in the rankings due to having 2 losses. With 1 loss they would have.
It was easy to see SMU was much better than Tulane even without their starting QB.

SMU is the closest non P4 to having a P4 roster before their move to the ACC. However they won't pass Liberty. Liberty brings CUSA first NY6 and with it some money to spread around!

Reactions: kickballpro
Don’t look at the latest AP Poll then nattybry. Liberty behind SMU.
Lol, you mean the AP Poll that incorrectly had SMU 13-0 lol 😅 and Liberty 9-3!? Ok ESPN corrected it lol It had it way off at 1st. With that said SMU was already 25 in the AP and the AP has 0 to do with the committee and College Football Rankings. For example ESPN Power Rankings have Liberty #16 and SMU #18. I'd say Liberty has about a 60% chance to make the NY6.

Last edited:
Lol, you mean the AP Poll that incorrectly had SMU 13-0 lol 😅 and Liberty 9-3!? Ok ESPN corrected it lol It had it way off at 1st. With that said SMU was already 25 in the AP and the AP has 0 to do with the committee and College Football Rankings. For example ESPN Power Rankings have Liberty #16 and SMU #18. I'd say Liberty has about a 60% chance to make the NY6.
we’ll see how it goes, and I hope Liberty gets it solely for the shares it would give CUSA but I sincerely doubt it happens. Liberty is not a “feel good underdog” and SMU has the best two wins between them (Tulane and Memphis).

Reactions: nattybry
Nope. SMU gets ranked one ahead.
AP doesn't matter lol The reason SMU jumped ahead in AP, is because they were already ranked and then beat Tulane. They weren't ranked in College Football Rankings, so I don't see them going from unranked to passing Liberty.

I saw! My mistake, made the edit
Isn't it kinda sad though, that as Miner fans we have to root for another conference team to help us out financially lol 😆 With that being said, everyone talked crap about the sucky new CUSA. However CUSA may get a New Year's 6 not AAC or Sun Belt lol

Reactions: Dmanminer
We always knew that with Liberty CUSA would be in the conversation for the nyb.

We’re gonna see how sucky we’re still viewed from the outside when a two loss unranked team jumps an undefeated ranked CUSA team.

• Haha
Reactions: T-6 Miner
SMU hasn't beaten anyone either. SMU playing the same type of schools that Liberty is. They didn't go 13-0.

Reactions: nattybry
The worst thing? NMSU should win, something we never could.
What do you mean? The new coach is going to take us to the new 12 team playoffs next year as the G5 top team after we go undefeated next year! Lol 🤣

Does anyone know what kind of payout for the conference it is? How much UTEP gets?
4 million divided up, is my understanding. That will probably change next year when it goes to 12. So I'm not sure if the Jacksonville St. and Sam Houston are under a probation, but if not then UTEP should get about $444,444 if they are then UTEP would get about $571,428. I may be wrong, but that's what I read.

Reactions: Rocketsr
Interesting 🤔 I guess it's gonna be 50/50. Florida St. kinda got screwed, cause their QB got hurt. Glad Texas made the playoffs though
Florida St got screwed and it had nothing to do with their QB being out..team played well but “need to have that SEC team in”
Leach called it

SMU is the better team but won't pass Liberty in the rankings due to having 2 losses. With 1 loss they would have.
It was easy to see SMU was much better than Tulane even without their starting QB.
Why you say SMU is the better team?

Oh how exciting:

NMSU coach..""Hey kids we going to a bowl game.""👍👍👍

NMSU players.. ""where are we going""??

NMSU coach " Albuquerque "

NMSU player 🤮🤮🤮🤬🤬🤬

NMSU best players enter transfer portal and skips the New Mexico Bowl.
NMSU had their chance to defeat Liberty. I've enjoyed the New Mexico Bowl when UTEP went. Why are you crying for NMSU?

NMSU had their chance to defeat Liberty. I've enjoyed the New Mexico Bowl when UTEP went. Why are you crying for NMSU?
When Vanderbilt is bowl eligible, the joke is that they get into the Music City Bowl.

Yes, the players are happy to be in a bowl, but they want to travel and really enjoy the bowl experience. Not saying NM bowl is a bad bowl, I think it would be a slight let down as the Music City Bowl is for Vandy.

If UTEP got into the Sun Bowl, that would not be the same comparison as that would be a larger bowl as it pays out 4.5 million compared to 1 million. Secondly, the opponent would be a P5.

Also, I don't think UTEP or NMSU fans travel particularly well, so most of the time this is the bowl they will be invited to, as it allows the fans to come. And unfortunately, I don't think of too many other bowls that would really want UTEP or NMSU as their first, second or third choice.

No offense but I've found that UTEP fans actually travel fairly well...
If the game is close. Like the NM bowl, maybe Arizona and in Texas. Which is the point that I made.

When they played in the Independence Bowl, the attendance was paltry overall, and the UTEP presence was tiny. If they ever make the NCAA tournament, and get sent East, there is no presence.

Just like Bamfor says, he wouldn't even travel to the GMAC bowl, which is now the Lending Tree Bowl in Alabama.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT