ADVERTISEMENT

👋🏽 Bryson Williams

The portal surpassed 1500 players. I think the bulk of it is done, but there will be more as teams pick players up. Whatever the final number ends up being will be a record for a long time.
So what happens to those in the transfer portal who don't get picked up by a new school? Do they return to their original school? Would the coaches even want them back? Or are the players SOL?

So what happens to those in the transfer portal who don't get picked up by a new school? Do they return to their original school? Would the coaches even want them back? Or are the players SOL?
That’s up to the coaches. Scholarships are renewed year by year. It’s up to the coach to fill his roster to the best of his abilities. Some coaches might leave a spot “open” for a Bryson Williams type player. Those players would probably be welcomed back at their original schools. Lower level players like Vuk will be shown the door. Vuk would likely be SOL here, but he already committed to UCSD.

This is the worst time to be a marginal D1 player or 2 star high school senior. It will be slim pickings for a lot of players.

I guess it's the players risk to take and each coaches' decision. It's already happening in football. Players are getting squeezed.

It will take a few years to settle in so everybody can really see the true effect on P5 and mid-majors.

Record until next year...
Hopefully it will come down some; I do think several players legitimately had COVID restriction homesickness being shut in their room except to practice and play basketball in an empty arena.

Something is going on with Bryson, seems he would have been plucked already by another program or turned pro and explored his options. He an Verhoeven are still working out with UTEP so who knows.
I would actually like to see our same team from last year play under Golding. I wonder really how much of a difference he would make (considering it's his 1st year and the guys will be in a new 'system'). Of course a few guys are gone for sure and there will be more additions, but all in all it would be the core guys.

Reactions: JCorona
Maybe he is waiting on Brown and Sims from UT to decide what they are going to do. He has heard from 10-15 teams, but zoomed with UT, TT and Washington (per his twitter).

Reactions: MineroFanatico
If Golding can convince him to stick around for another year that pretty much answers the question "Can Golding Recruit?" and as somebody else said it would an interesting comparison between Terry and Golding. Seen it before in football the new guy wins with the former guys players.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
If he can't go with his coach to Texas, my feeling is he will stay. Eventually he will go to UT though I think.

If he can't go with his coach to Texas, my feeling is he will stay. Eventually he will go to UT though I think.
UT is expecting a championship come day one, period. Williams is losing precious time as every day passes. He would have been gone by now as top transfer portal talent are committing at this point in time. Something is up?

Golding felt Verhoeven is a strong possibility of returning according to Kap ESPN article a few days ago, but he's letting it play out.

If they both come back can Golding make a run at WKU for CUSA that Terry never seemed to be able to put together on a consistent basis with Terry's players?

Reactions: jdubb66
UT is expecting a championship come day one, period. Williams is losing precious time as every day passes. He would have been gone by now as top transfer portal talent are committing at this point in time. Something is up?

Golding felt Verhoeven is a strong possibility of returning according to Kap ESPN article a few days ago, but he's letting it play out.

If they both come back can Golding make a run at WKU for CUSA that Terry never seemed to be able to put together on a consistent basis with Terry's players?
If somehow they both come back, we have to be in the conversation for tops in CUSA right?

If somehow they both come back, we have to be in the conversation for tops in CUSA right?
Not sure, but I think it would be Golding's best opportunity in year 1 and would ease the difficulty on the recruiting cycles for 20-22 (even if only one of the guys stay). We would still need a good shooter to compliment the team and replace Sjolund. As I mentioned earlier I like Saterfield. He is young and a really good shooter so far. I think he is local too so that might help. Add another young SF/PF or a portal guy to get at least 10 deep.

The stagger sets up perfectly for KJ Lewis to come in and maybe take us to the next level in year 3. Yes I know some here will think we have no shot, but if he does decide to stay Golding will want have a good mature team around him already

"Another factor that will need to be considered is Arturo Ormond. The former Miners assistant coach was Bryson Williams AAU coach in Fresno. They have been together since Williams was a youngster and many feel that Ormond will end up at his next destination. If Ormond is retained in some capacity with the new UTEP men's basketball staff, then it is almost certain that Williams will stay a Miner".

Reactions: utep2step
"Another factor that will need to be considered is Arturo Ormond. The former Miners assistant coach was Bryson Williams AAU coach in Fresno. They have been together since Williams was a youngster and many feel that Ormond will end up at his next destination. If Ormond is retained in some capacity with the new UTEP men's basketball staff, then it is almost certain that Williams will stay a Miner".
Yep.

Tydus Verhouven and Bryson Williams were both pretty prominent at the Golden Pick awards. Usually transfer portal people are long gone by then (Odigie, Vila, Hess)

Not sure if it means anything. I figure they had him as gone when they honored him at senior night.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT