ADVERTISEMENT

1st Miner Football Game Predictions

nattybry

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 7, 2003
I'm basing this prediction on several things. Who the Miners have returning vs Who UNT has returning, what I saw in last year's game vs these 2 teams and home field.
Hardison struggles early then picks it up late.
14-24 194 yds 1 td 1 int handful of rushing yards
Running game pumps out a good day to the tune of 223 yards
Defense Makes the winning play!
UTEP 27
UNT 23

Look for UNT to disguise their blocking packages like UTSA did against UTEP D line when rushing the ball. UTEP D has to be concerning to Seth Littrell and I'm sure will have 29 year old (former MLB farm league player) Aune running around all over in the backfield because this UTEP D line is too good to let him sit in the pocket.

I'm with the oddsmakers on this one, it's all defense. Going off history and current "on paper" facts...

UTEP 14
UNT 13

What I hope for...

UTEP 25
UNT 9

"Shat my pants with delight"...

UTEP 28
UNT 0

The Miners will hopefully have a decent home crowd and coupled with starting the season at home should tilt the scales in their favor. BUT with that being said, this is UTEP and 99 out of 100 they shit the bed when the odds are remotely close to being in their favor.

UTEP: 10
UNT: 35

Please prove me wrong UTEP.

Last edited:
I think the Miners will be inspired by the large crowd and our defense will look strong.
UTEP - 24
UNT -21

Reactions: MineroFanatico
The Miners will hopefully have a decent home crowd and coupled with starting the season at home Shoukd tilt the scales in their favor. BUT with that being said, this is UTEP and 99 out of 100 they shit the bed when the odds remotely close to being in their favor.

UTEP: 10
UNT: 35

Please prove me wrong UTEP.
Interesting take. Three of the last four games vs UNT have been decided by 3 points or less. It would be an embarrassing loss to lose by that kind of margin.

UTEP 34
UNT 17

Based on UTEP having a solid rb group, experienced OL, experienced qb, some good if not great wr's and UNT's defense is rebuilding a bit.

But the big reason for a 3 score win is the defense. Hurrying their qb, slowing their run game and creating some turnovers. The big crowd will help by creating an electric atmosphere.

Finally the Miners win an important game and create a buzz in El Paso.

First game. Defenses will struggle to contain but Dimel will be Dimel. No killer instinct. I just hope it's not close throughout but rather that the other guys score trying to come back but come up short. If it's a close game throughout then I have little confidence that Dimel will find a way to win.

Miners - 34
The other guys - 27

Interesting take. Three of the last four games vs UNT have been decided by 3 points or less. It would be an embarrassing loss to lose by that kind of margin.
I know what you’re saying and I agree with you. This series has been a dog fight but I just feel the need to bring up the fact that almost every time there’s hype around this program or any sort of expectation they crash and burn. Case in point UTSA last year. Great crowd, everyone was hyped (especially the couple in the bed of the truck) and all that momentum lasted 2 plays.

I am 100% praying and hoping the Miners win in spectacular fashion because that would be a great statement to open the season, but I have to see how this team handles the pressure of expectations.

I know what you’re saying and I agree with you. This series has been a dog fight but I just feel the need to bring up the fact that almost every time there’s hype around this program or any sort of expectation they crash and burn. Case in point UTSA last year. Great crowd, everyone was hyped (especially the couple in the bed of the truck) and all that momentum lasted 2 plays.

I am 100% praying and hoping the Miners win in spectacular fashion because that would be a great statement to open the season, but I have to see how this team handles the pressure of expectations.
I understand. The ECU game in 07 comes to mind too. We were 4-2 had a big crowd and big things were expected. Instead the fall of the Price era began.

To be fair UTSA had a legitimate top 25 program last season and I think only the true die hard homers believed UTEP stood a chance. I don't think UNT is as good as UTSA was last year. I would be shocked if UNT wins by more than a score, if they win.

I understand. The ECU game in 07 comes to mind too. We were 4-2 had a big crowd and big things were expected. Instead the fall of the Price era began.

To be fair UTSA had a legitimate top 25 program last season and I think only the true die hard homers believed UTEP stood a chance. I don't think UNT is as good as UTSA was last year. I would be shocked if UNT wins by more than a score, if they win.
Your lips to God’s ears sir. I think the Miners will have a good crowd backing them up, and Dimmel has built a good foundation at this program on defense and a potentially solid run game. I’m just cautious headed into week 1.

I'm a dreamer and hope there's something working that carries over from last year's 7-6, which could have easily been 8-5 or 9-4. We have a pretty good collection of quality and experienced returnees. Biggest question is the new wide receivers because they are filling some huge shoes.
As a dreamer, I say Miners 34, UNT 27.

unt 24
utep 20

Terrible offensive passing game, scheme, play calling. Running between the tackles against 8 man fronts puts in third and long all night. Failure to properly utilize tight ends , receivers, rbs in passing game results in a very disappointing loss killing attendance for the rest of the season.

Listened to the beginning of Dimel’s radio show and one thing stood out that he said, “…the marquee players, I’m not going to mention names, have really stepped it up (this fall practice) at practice….”

Sounds like the Miners are good enough to win this game. Some of the bloggers are wondering if Coach Dimel can get out of his own way and let the team play up to its ability. That would be great. Go Miners.

Sounds like the Miners are good enough to win this game. Some of the bloggers are wondering if Coach Dimel can get out of his own way and let the team play up to its ability. That would be great. Go Miners.
IMO, the biggest obstacle to winning on saturday isn’t the players, it’s Dimel’s Kugleresque offense that doesn’t put enough points on the scoreboard.

unt 24
utep 20

Terrible offensive passing game, scheme, play calling. Running between the tackles against 8 man fronts puts in third and long all night. Failure to properly utilize tight ends , receivers, rbs in passing game results in a very disappointing loss killing attendance for the rest of the season.
Hoping your negativity while merited brings the opposite lol

unt 24
utep 20

Yikes

I don't like doing score predictions in general, but I'd be SHOCKED if this game is won by more than 10 points. I see a 27-21 type game. UNT does not play well in the mountain time zone, but this team is pretty solid and have some huge pieces returning like preseason all American KD Davis at LB.

Hopefully it's a great game with the predicted crowd, but also UNT walks out with a win so I feel better about flying to El Paso to watch it in person! Hahaha

GMG

Reactions: nattybry
IMO, the biggest obstacle to winning on saturday isn’t the players, it’s Dimel’s Kugleresque offense that doesn’t put enough points on the scoreboard.
"There were a few CUSA teams I wouldn't have minded starting this season off, UNT wasn't one of them" or something like that. I am sure Coach Littrell is feeling the same way. Big game for both teams and Dimel stated at on his radio show this is not the type of game you prefer coming out; a conference contender who handily beat UTSA and ended last season on a high note after tripping and stumbling the first half of the season. Dimel finally made a statement I wanted him to say for four years, "We need to come out aggressive".

UTEP 27
Unt 21

Miners make a goal line stand on 4th and goal as time expires.

UTEP has lost 5 of its last 6 games and its best player. Hayward is out, we lost a starting corner and we have the same coach with the same mentality. The only real chance we have is a great defensive effort in front of a great crowd. I'm hoping we can put up at least 20pts, but I just don't see where the offense will come from. Fingers crossed.

UTEP 20
UNT 17 (scoring 10pts in the last 2 minutes before half).

UTEP has lost 5 of its last 6 games and its best player. Hayward is out, we lost a starting corner and we have the same coach with the same mentality. The only real chance we have is a great defensive effort in front of a great crowd. I'm hoping we can put up at least 20pts, but I just don't see where the offense will come from. Fingers crossed.

UTEP 20
Why you gotta get on here stating facts 😅

That would be extremely demoralizing before we host SMU next week. I just can't see it...
Yeah I don't see that either. Both teams are about equal. I see it definitely being a one score game.
QB-Even
RB- UTEP
WR- UNT
TE- UNT
OL- UTEP
SP Teams- UNT
DL- UTEP
LB- UNT
Secondary - Even
Home crowd Utep -3 Is how I handicap it

Last edited:

UTEP 20
New season bro. For all we know they start cold again at 1-6 and we start hot again at 6-1.

Reactions: axingfools1
Yeah I don't see that either. Both teams are a out equal. I see it definitely being a one score game.
QB-Even
RB- UTEP
WR- UNT
TE- UNT
OL- UTEP
SP Teams- UNT
DL- UTEP
LB- UNT
Secondary - Even
Home crowd Utep -3 Is how I handicap it
I'd say OL is even just because that's our most veteran position and return 2 CUSA all team players/freshmen. Other than that, I agree.

I say -1 UTEP is the most accurate...

Reactions: nattybry
I'm a dreamer and hope there's something working that carries over from last year's 7-6, which could have easily been 8-5 or 9-4. We have a pretty good collection of quality and experienced returnees. Biggest question is the new wide receivers because they are filling some huge shoes.
As a dreamer, I say Miners 34, UNT 27.

Same score I also posted above. Great minds think alike. Or something like that. :)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT