ADVERTISEMENT

2 Spots Opening in Mountain West?

The problem has been and always is for the MW conference, quality athletics programs, good attendance and interest level, but not enough TV sets and eyes watching them.

I love it!!! Gut the MWC. Let those arrogant and pompous jerks at the Air Farce Academy get a taste of their own medicine. It was the falcons who insisted that UTEP be left behind when the WAC split up.
IF the MWC does expand expect old UTEP to be left out in the cold again given their terrible athletic programs the last 10 years.

I don’t see ESPN paying big money to add Boise and another team. It’s not like Boise is “setting the world on fire” like they did a decade ago. They’re barely a Top 25 team now.

Also, who is this guy? It’s not unlikely he’s just bullshitting, but unless a CBS or McMurphy guy are reporting it, I wouldn’t get too excited.

I don’t see ESPN paying big money to add Boise and another team. It’s not like Boise is “setting the world on fire” like they did a decade ago. They’re barely a Top 25 team now.

Also, who is this guy? It’s not unlikely he’s just bullshitting, but unless a CBS or McMurphy guy are reporting it, I wouldn’t get too excited.
Google Boise st to AAC. This conversation has been going on for months maybe years.

Google Boise st to AAC. This conversation has been going on for months maybe years.
Yes, but it doesn’t mean it will be worthwhile to all parties in the end. Is it worthwhile for Boise to play basketball in the Big Sky while playing football in the AAC for $1,000,000 more a year?

Whatever schools the AAC wants to add, ESPN just isn’t going to bump up their pay ridiculously.

Not saying this won’t happen, but it’s not black and white.

Yes, but it doesn’t mean it will be worthwhile to all parties in the end. Is it worthwhile for Boise to play basketball in the Big Sky while playing football in the AAC for $1,000,000 more a year?

Whatever schools the AAC wants to add, ESPN just isn’t going to bump up their pay ridiculously.

Not saying this won’t happen, but it’s not black and white.
I really don't care if they make 1 million more or break even or lose a million a year. The important thing is Boise wants to leave the MW and that could open a spot for UTEP.

Reactions: utep-piggy
tenor.gif

I love it!!! Gut the MWC. Let those arrogant and pompous jerks at the Air Farce Academy get a taste of their own medicine. It was the falcons who insisted that UTEP be left behind when the WAC split up.
IF the MWC does expand expect old UTEP to be left out in the cold again given their terrible athletic programs the last 10 years.
Well what do you mean left out? Explain why a watered down MWC losing their best football and basketball school would be better than us staying in the CUSA with other Texas schools we recruit against. Sorry I'd rather stay!

I really don't care if they make 1 million more or break even or lose a million a year. The important thing is Boise wants to leave the MW and that could open a spot for UTEP.
I don’t care either. Just an example of how it’s not black and white. Boise’s basketball coach isn’t going to want to play in the Big Sky or WAC. Lots of things to consider, especially if the money is barely better. This isn’t the same as joining the Pac-12 for football and everything else in the WAC.

Well what do you mean left out? Explain why a watered down MWC losing their best football and basketball school would be better than us staying in the CUSA with other Texas schools we recruit against. Sorry I'd rather stay!
Ok Bob Stull. Being in a conference with UNM, Wyoming, Air Force, and Utah St is better than being with FIU, FAU, MTSU, ODU, and Marshall. Highly likely the MWC would also take another CUSA Texas team or two in this scenario.

Most likely a Texas school would come with us. If we say no someone else will say yes. So now we're stuck in an even worse version of cusa.

100%. No matter who is leftover in the MWC, that’s better than remaining in a spread out CUSA. While say, UTSA and UNT take the spot we turned down, CUSA might add Texas St? Is that better???
Four schools would put the AAC at 15 members. I don't think it's in their best interest to expand so large. Could it be they're aiming for 16 and to poach the best of the rest. Good probability a team like UAB and ODU are on their radar. The MW takes all 3 Texas schools that said yes and nattybry's idea to stay put in a watered down CUSA looks even more ridiculous.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
An old and watered down MWC with UNM, Wyoming, Colorado St, AF, Fresno is much more appealing than the current CUSA lineup.
If UTEP were to turn down a MWC invite again then UTEP would be stuck in a watered down CUSA as the MWC would likely poach other CUSA schools.
Worst case scenario is the MWC inviting UNT and UTSA. That would be disastrous but a possibility due to UTEPs lack of success.

Four schools would put the AAC at 15 members. I don't think it's in their best interest to expand so large. Could it be they're aiming for 16 and to poach the best of the rest. Good probability a team like UAB and ODU are on their radar. The MW takes all 3 Texas schools that said yes and nattybry's idea to stay put in a watered down CUSA looks even more ridiculous.
Well that's different if they poach the other Texas teams as well obviously. I didn't factor in those teams leaving CUSA I meant CUSA as is.

Reactions: JCorona
Worst case scenario is the MWC inviting UNT and UTSA. That would be disastrous but a possibility due to UTEPs lack of success.
Unfortunately, it is a very likely possibility. Now is not the time to have a football program that has won 5 games in 4 years and won 1 CUSA conference game in 4 years.

Last edited:
SDSU and Boise will join the Big West for all sports except football. This is a a temporary move. The AAC will lose some schools to power five conferences. Houston to the PAC12. Some combination of two of UCF, Cincinnati or Memphis to the Big 12.

I wouldn't over react to this move. The next round will be lasting. We're definitely behind UNT and UTSA for the MWC. It's pathetic but true.

SDSU and Boise will join the Big West for all sports except football. This is a a temporary move. The AAC will lose some schools to power five conferences. Houston to the PAC12. Some combination of two of UCF, Cincinnati or Memphis to the Big 12.

I wouldn't over react to this move. The next round will be lasting. We're definitely behind UNT and UTSA for the MWC. It's pathetic but true.
UNT and UTSA going before us would be a disaster assuming CUSA survives. The reason we're in the conference is to be aligned with the Texas schools.

UNT and UTSA going before us would be a disaster assuming CUSA survives. The reason we're in the conference is to be aligned with the Texas schools.

Originally is was to be with Houston and SMU. They passed us by and sadly their replacements have passed us. The last fifteen years of UTEP has been so poorly run its really infuriating to think about. Then we hire the worst AD in D1 and he doesn't just throw gasoline on the dumpster fire he throws a bomb in it. Now instead of the dumpster being on fire the whole damn block is on fire. Pathetic sad and frustrating doesn't begin to describe UTEP athletics.

Originally is was to be with Houston and SMU. They passed us by and sadly their replacements have passed us. The last fifteen years of UTEP has been so poorly run its really infuriating to think about. Then we hire the worst AD in D1 and he doesn't just throw gasoline on the dumpster fire he throws a bomb in it. Now instead of the dumpster being on fire the whole damn block is on fire. Pathetic sad and frustrating doesn't begin to describe UTEP athletics.
I don’t like the job Senter has done, but Stull is more to blame for where we are currently at. Dimel has been a bad hire, but Senter was bailed out by Terry leaving to Texas. I think most of us are happy with CJG and have a little bit of hope for the next few years. Had Terry been coming back, only a few would be hopeful for next year.

Hopefully Senter will make the right choice regarding Dimel’s employment when the time comes.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Didn't those 2 teams try to leave already only to back out at the last second due to travel costs?

UTEP and UTSA make the most sense. UTSA is in a big populated area and UTEP brings its history with the MWC. Make it happen, I plan on moving to Tampa next year, and I told myself “watch UTEP get an MWC invite” lol Might make me stay a little longer in Washington... so many close destinations to MWC schools.

Reactions: MinerInWisconsin
That's a LOT of travel. Would the TV money compensate?
The only way it makes sense is if this elevates the AAC to a "power" conference (auto NY6 bowl slot).

That's how you get weirdness like WVU in the Big 12. But being in a P5 conference more than compensates for it.

Otherwise, why would SDSU give up its traditional rivalries in the MWC to join the AAC? If I were a SDSU fan, I wouldn't even want that.

Reactions: Rocketsr
The MWC would still be attractive to UTEP without BSU and SDSU because of our location and history with the rest of the conference but since UNT and UTSA have no history with them and they are further away they may not be all that interested. I don't know how much the MWC media value would drop without those two but it would take a hit. UTEP would still need to join if possible.

Let’s be honest, NMSU and UTEP probably should be in the same conference... a pkg deal. NMSU brings solid bb... both suck in FB. So that’s why an up and coming UTSA would make sense. Personally Texas schools should get the hell out of cusa and join the wac...

Let’s be honest, NMSU and UTEP probably should be in the same conference... a pkg deal. NMSU brings solid bb... both suck in FB. So that’s why an up and coming UTSA would make sense. Personally Texas schools should get the hell out of cusa and join the wac...

Reactions: Rocketsr
Each AAC team currently gets about 7 mill per school from ESPN. MWC schools are looking to end Boise St. sweetheart revenue deal by 2026. SDSU has been among the strongest voices calling for the end of the deal.

BSU currently generates about 5.9 mill per year in tv revenue. The other schools get in the 3.5-3.9 mill range. So moving to the AAC might actually hurt their tv revenue if they bring a partner.

If they bring 3, well ESPN would have to kick-in more $$ to keep BSU at that level. Add in the extra travel costs and it may not be in BSUs financial interests to move, at least until 2026.

Depends on how badly ESPN wants BSU. Their rights are currently with Fox and CBS. However you slice it though, BSUs days in the MWC appear numbered.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT