ADVERTISEMENT

2017 College Football Hot Seat Rankings: Evaluating job security of all 130 coaches

It wouldn't be surprising if Kugler's seat isn't even warm. In fact, I'd be shocked if it's even approaching room temperature.

What's more surprising is that anyone would actually think his job is anything but safe. History (CMP), and even the now (CTF), have shown us this.

Kugler's seat would be hot if he was at any other school. Stull evaluates UTEP's coaches performances based on CUSA attendance results. So Kugler's seat is ice cold.

Kugler's seat would be hot if he was at any other school. Stull evaluates UTEP's coaches performances based on CUSA attendance results. So Kugler's seat is ice cold.

That makes absolutely no sense. So, what, we're grading on the curve, like compared to Rice? Biggest attendance midget in the circus? What?

Athlon college football magazine rightfully has him at #9. He should definitely be in the top 10 in the country.

Isn't this the last year of his contract? I think it's very simple reach a bowl get an extension don't and he's gone.

I just don't see him getting to six wins this year because I think the schedule is tougher than last year's.

I just don't see him getting to six wins this year because I think the schedule is tougher than last year's.
Let's say he makes a bowl at 5-7 but lost it and finished the season at 5-8 should Stull extend his contract? IMO that's a hard no. What if he wins the bowl and finishes 6-7? I would say give him a 2-3 year extension. I know it would be a watered down bowl but considering UTEP hasn't won one of those in 50 years we can't be too picky.

Let's say he makes a bowl at 5-7 but lost it and finished the season at 5-8 should Stull extend his contract? IMO that's a hard no. What if he wins the bowl and finishes 6-7? I would say give him a 2-3 year extension. I know it would be a watered down bowl but considering UTEP hasn't won one of those in 50 years we can't be too picky.

That's a really slippery slope. If we're honest this team is two plays away from being to three straight bowl games. A missed field goal a against La Tech in 2015, and any kind of defensive stop against FAU last year. We would have went to a bowl game at 5-7 last year over UNT. We were literally a missed field goal and defensive stop from going to three straight bowl games. Would those two extra wins made your or the average fans perception of the program any different. Would those two extra wins mean this program was any better shape overall, would attendance have increased? I don't think so. I think we would have the same issues we have now. The only difference would be that after three straight bowl games Kugler would have got a long extension and been untouchable. It's year five. I really appreciate what Kugler has done for the program. It's underappreciated how good a job he's done fixing the Apr and culture of the program. This job is a much more attractive job now than when kugs took it because of the work he's done. However, it's year five it's time to show you have built the foundation for a winning program. He has to win this year. We have to move this program forward.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
I agree Minerforlife. Kugs has made a tremendous difference in regards to culture for the UTEP fb program. He is a high character guy that demands high character from his young men. That cannot be overstated.

My question is, is it too much to ask to have a high character man leading this program, and that same guy be highly regarded as an Xs and Os coach? I just get the feeling that Kugs will always be in the 4-8 to 6-6 range, never really getting over the hump. His brand of fb is more suited to the NFL and just doesn't bring the type of college athlete in to have that breakout season where UTEP hits 8-9 wins. He has been underwhelming in his ability to bring in recruits who can make a difference. Either that or he doesn't have the flexibility to play to the strengths of the athletes he has. Either way, CSK hasn't demonstrated that he can take this program to higher ground on the playing field.

I don't get why more people don't hold him accountable to HIS OWN proclamation that if he doesn't turn the program around within 3 years, he'll leave of his own accord. He lost me when he didn't stick to his word, speaking of high character.

We all know when he said that, he wasn't talking solely about turning the program's culture and apr around. He was talking about on field success, which ultimate, for better or for worse, is what the bottom line is. Time for change unless he hits 8 wins, imo.

Reactions: axingfools1
I agree Minerforlife. Kugs has made a tremendous difference in regards to culture for the UTEP fb program. He is a high character guy that demands high character from his young men. That cannot be overstated.

My question is, is it too much to ask to have a high character man leading this program, and that same guy be highly regarded as an Xs and Os coach? I just get the feeling that Kugs will always be in the 4-8 to 6-6 range, never really getting over the hump. His brand of fb is more suited to the NFL and just doesn't bring the type of college athlete in to have that breakout season where UTEP hits 8-9 wins. He has been underwhelming in his ability to bring in recruits who can make a difference. Either that or he doesn't have the flexibility to play to the strengths of the athletes he has. Either way, CSK hasn't demonstrated that he can take this program to higher ground on the playing field.

I don't get why more people don't hold him accountable to HIS OWN proclamation that if he doesn't turn the program around within 3 years, he'll leave of his own accord. He lost me when he didn't stick to his word, speaking of high character.

We all know when he said that, he wasn't talking solely about turning the program's culture and apr around. He was talking about on field success, which ultimate, for better or for worse, is what the bottom line is. Time for change unless he hits 8 wins, imo.
Excellent post! I think we all agree that Kugler has done an good job with changing the character of the team and the APR.

Thats all good, but the quality of actual football is low and the wins are just not there. Since Stull won't bear down and Kugler didn't keep his word, this season is just a waste in my mind. Its just another year that pushes us farther away from any glimse of a winning team or culture. Kugler should have resigned after last season and Stull should have resigned years ago.

My question is why can't UTEP have a better team that wins, that is consistent (at least in reasonable cycles), that has a good character and APR. Why can't they pay for a better coach and pay to keep him awhile if he wins? Why can't we find that coach or AD to push things forward? I know all the excuses of money, location, recruiting, politics, conference affiliation and blah blah. All or any of those issues could have been addressed over the years if our administrator give a shit about big time sports. Look what she has done for the school as a whole? I refuse to beleive that we couldn't be in a better situation athletics wise as well. There has been a lot of opportunity missed and a lot of mistakes over the past ten years at UTEP. I think the window is still cracked but its closing quick. The natives got restless after the CTF and Terry Winn bullshit last year. If we don't win win a bowl game and get to the NCAA this year then clean fckn house before the window is locked.

Last edited:
Reactions: MineroFanatico
Excellent post! I think we all agree that Kugler has done an good job with changing the character of the team and the APR.

Thats all good, but the quality of actual football is low and the wins are just not there. Since Stull won't bear down and Kugler didn't keep his word, this season is just a waste in my mind. Its just another year that pushes us farther away from any glimse of a winning team or culture. Kugler should have resigned after last season and Stull should have resigned years ago.

My question is why can't UTEP have a better team that wins, that is consistent (at least in reasonable cycles), that has a good character and APR. Why can't they pay for a better coach and pay to keep him awhile if he wins? Why can't we find that coach or AD to push things forward? I know all the excuses of money, location, recruiting, politics, conference affiliation and blah blah. All or any of those issues could have been addressed over the years if our administrator give a shit about big time sports. Look what she has done for the school as a whole? I refuse to beleive that we couldn't be in a better situation athletics wise as well. There has been a lot of opportunity missed and a lot of mistakes over the past ten years at UTEP. I think the window is still cracked but its closing quick. The natives got restless after the CTF and Terry Winn bullshit last year. If we don't win win a bowl game and get to the NCAA this year then clean fckn house before the window is locked.

Why? Because we're cursed.

I think the EP/LC region just isn't good at football. UTEP hasn't won a bowl game in 50 years and NMSU hasn't made a bowl game in 57 years. I wonder if there is any other region in the country with such an abysmal record.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT