MI Miner Maniac
Dec 1, 2007
https://kenpom.com/

UTEP #167 overall, and #5 in CUSA, behind:

1. #92 MT
2. #94 OD
3. #96 LT
4. #155 UAB

Team and conference profiles only available with subscription.

Man cusa still not getting any respect.

That was my first reaction.

Isn't CUSA 3-0 the last three opening rounds of the tourney? Not only that, as 12 seeds or lower, meaning the conference is getting matched up against "higher quality" teams.

We start so gawt damn far behind the 8 ball, that even when a CUSA team has a really good year, the rpi still sucks, by comparison.

No team in the top 90? The top CUSA team should be in the 50's to 60's IMO. I do agree that CUSA needs to regain respect. UTEP has a chance to jump into the top 60 real quick with a good start. Not losing to any crappy teams will help them tremendously as well.

No team in the top 90? The top CUSA team should be in the 50's to 60's IMO. I do agree that CUSA needs to regain respect. UTEP has a chance to jump into the top 60 real quick with a good start. Not losing to any crappy teams will help them tremendously as well.

Beating good teams is the only way to move up.

Reactions: El Paso 777

The chips are stacked against it from happening. How does a conference accomplish such a thing?

Win a few out of conference games not suppose to win? Check

Have a 25+ win team or two? Check

Advance to the 2nd, now considered 3rd round of the tourney? Check!

The chips are stacked against it from happening. How does a conference accomplish such a thing?

Win a few out of conference games not suppose to win? Check

Have a 25+ win team or two? Check

You are right. Maybe two teams need to do this. One wins CUSA and the other wins the tourney. Both teams make the NCAA?

You are right. Maybe two teams need to do this. One wins CUSA and the other wins the tourney. Both teams make the NCAA?

I think that would make the conference relevant for that moment and then we'd start all over the following year with our top teams in the 80s-90s.

Apologies. I'm just a cynical SOB about this matter.

I think that would make the conference relevant for that moment and then we'd start all over the following year with our top teams in the 80s-90s.

Apologies. I'm just a cynical SOB about this matter.
I believe MTSU was going to get snubbed had they not won the CUSA tournament last season. I’ve reached the point to accept we will be a one bid league. As long as that one bid is ours I’m ok with it.

I believe MTSU was going to get snubbed had they not won the CUSA tournament last season. I’ve reached the point to accept we will be a one bid league. As long as that one bid is ours I’m ok with it.

I believe you're correct. And it would've been criminal to leave them out. I have no choice but to accept the same thing. But I'll go to my grave bitching about. Lol.

Last edited:
I still hope that somehow UTEP gets back to the Mountain West. The MWC has fallen too but I'd rather be playing those teams and be in a league with a better chance for multiple bids. It would help recruiting and attendance as well.

The other issue is willingness to play top teams on the road without necessarily having a return game. Or maybe do more 2 for 1 like we did with Arizona.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
I still hope that somehow UTEP gets back to the Mountain West. The MWC has fallen too but I'd rather be playing those teams and be in a league with a better chance for multiple bids. It would help recruiting and attendance as well.

The other issue is willingness to play top teams on the road without necessarily having a return game. Or maybe do more 2 for 1 like we did with Arizona.

I agree. Unfortunately we are going to have to do 2 for 1s. I would imagine that Floyd has used up all his favors. I still think it's the way to go if we ever want to be relevant again. Knock off a giant or two every year on their home court.

Reactions: axingfools1
AAC just got stronger they added Wichita St. I wish CUSA would go after some Basketball school. I know Utep wouldnt like it but i think it would benifit the conference and UTEP if NMSU just joined CUSA. They bring a good basketball program. Teams would fear coming to play Utep and NMSU back to back.

They went back to calling it the 2nd round. They still wont call the first four games "play-in". What a sham and a slap in the face to 4 automatic qualifiers and conference tournament winners. UTEP would have probably been relegated to a play-in game had they somehow won the CUSA tourney this past season. Pathetic that the NCAA still bullies the little guys around and keeps funneling cash to the power conferences.

UTEP does belong in the MW. Even if they have been a 1 bid league the last couple years, the Miners belong in a Mountain/Pacific time zone league. Maybe then the Aggies can join CUSA. I dont see how it makes sense for both teams in this region to be in the same conference at this time. Maybe if both programs had respectable football programs... oh well.

I’m more worried about the bottom two teams. If this prediction is true the conference tournament is going to be a ghost town

Edit. Never mind just noticed UNT would finish tied for 12th.

The UTEP/NMSU road trip would be one of the toughest in CUSA.

Right I would rank them

UAB/MTSU
WKU/Marshall
ODU/Charlotte
UTEP/UTSA
LT/USM
UNT/RICE
FIU/FAU

A UTEP/NMSU road trip would move to #3 maybe even #2 if Charlotte keeps underperforming and ODU is having a down year. Of course it’s dependent on if there is a 16th team added and who they are. If it breaks up the UAB/MTSU road trip then we could become the hardest road trip in the conference.

Reactions: FiliUTEP
It would help Utep a lot if NMSU was in CUSA. I also think if NMSU was in CUSA . NMSU would get the CUSA Basketball Tournament.

It would help Utep a lot if NMSU was in CUSA. I also think if NMSU was in CUSA . NMSU would get the CUSA Basketball Tournament.

I think CUSA is going with a neutral site from now on.

How would it help UTEP if NMSU was in CUSA?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT