ADVERTISEMENT

2019 College Football Hot Seat Rankings: Evaluating job security of all 130 FBS coaches

The only person in the athletic department on any kind of hot seat this year is Senter. That's because Wilson didnt hire him. The AD is the highest public profile hire a president makes. Wilson will look for any reason to bring in her own person. All CEO's want their own people.

Last edited:
The only person in the athletic department on any kind of hot seat this year is Senter. That's because Wilson didnt hire him. The AD is the highest public profile here a president makes. Wilson will look for any reason to bring in her own person. All CEO's want their own people.
I think all of our athletic departments have to make significant improvements this upcoming season. Under Senter we are horrible all around. Two years ago we were the highest rated team from CUSA in the Directors Cup. This past year we were not even good enough to be ranked last in conference. We don’t have enough points to even make last place in CUSA.

The only person in the athletic department on any kind of hot seat this year is Senter. That's because Wilson didnt hire him. The AD is the highest public profile hire a president makes. Wilson will look for any reason to bring in her own person. All CEO's want their own people.

I’m all for it. Senter always struck me as being a steady presence...someone that can manage and hold things together. He never struck me as being innovative or creative...which are probably going to prove to be necessary attributes in order to pull us out of the dumpster and rebuild UTEP athletics. I’m not saying axe the guy but it’s time to shit or get off the pot, imo.

I’m all for it. Senter always struck me as being a steady presence...someone that can manage and hold things together. He never struck me as being innovative or creative...which are probably going to prove to be necessary attributes in order to pull us out of the dumpster and rebuild UTEP athletics. I’m not saying axe the guy but it’s time to shit or get off the pot, imo.

Agreed — football and basketball better improve significantly this year.

Good lord, people! Short leash much? Senter has been here like 3 years? He inherited a shit show and you guys think he should be on the hot seat already? He had to fill the 2 biggest spots in his department AND the 2 clowns that left totally left us in a mess. So, your thinking is IF both programs don't show significant improvement, Senter should be fired?
Yeah, that makes sense. After all, we are the Texas Longhorns. :eek:

I think Senter should be on the short leash. I think he's a good guy, at least he's not bitter and defeatist like Stull.

However, the more I think about it. Senter was Natalicios last sports related mistake. I don't think an ole' ball coach is the right person for the job anymore. Sports are filled with analytics geeks now, UTEP Athletics is stuck in an 80s mindset and won't get better unless it catches up with the times.

I think Senter should be on the short leash. I think he's a good guy, at least he's not bitter and defeatist like Stull.

However, the more I think about it. Senter was Natalicios last sports related mistake. I don't think an ole' ball coach is the right person for the job anymore. Sports are filled with analytics geeks now, UTEP Athletics is stuck in an 80s mindset and won't get better unless it catches up with the times.

I’d take our 80s performance.

Good lord, people! Short leash much? Senter has been here like 3 years? He inherited a shit show and you guys think he should be on the hot seat already? He had to fill the 2 biggest spots in his department AND the 2 clowns that left totally left us in a mess. So, your thinking is IF both programs don't show significant improvement, Senter should be fired?

You beat me to it. Senter is barely in his 3rd year as AD. The first two things he needed to do when he took the job was hire a football coach and men's basketball coach. Floyd and Kugler left their programs in shambles.

Between the two new coaches, Terry is the one that's under pressure to win now. He's already purged all of Floyd's recruits. He has a stacked roster that's eligible to play, sans the most recent recruits who have to sit out this season. I expect improvement from the UTEP men's basketball program this year. I expect the team to have a winning season, and to make a deep run in the CUSA Tournament. I don't necessarily expect the team to make the NCAA Tournament this season, but at least get an invite to the NIT. Anything less I would consider the season a failure.

As for Dimel, I expect to see marginal improvement this coming season as well. I don't expect UTEP to qualify for a bowl game. However, I do expect the team to win at least 4 games. I'll give him 2 to 3 more years to turn the program around.

You beat me to it. Senter is barely in his 3rd year as AD. The first two things he needed to do when he took the job was hire a football coach and men's basketball coach. Floyd and Kugler left their programs in shambles.

Between the two new coaches, Terry is the one that's under pressure to win now. He's already purged all of Floyd's recruits. He has a stacked roster that's eligible to play, sans the most recent recruits who have to sit out this season. I expect improvement from the UTEP men's basketball program this year. I expect the team to have a winning season, and to make a deep run in the CUSA Tournament. I don't necessarily expect the team to make the NCAA Tournament this season, but at least get an invite to the NIT. Anything less I would consider the season a failure.

As for Dimel, I expect to see marginal improvement this coming season as well. I don't expect UTEP to qualify for a bowl game. However, I do expect the team to win at least 4 games. I'll give him 2 to 3 more years to turn the program around.

It’s all about recruiting. You give Dimel 4-5 years ONLY if you believe he’s stacking the roster with good talent.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Senter has only been here for 1 full football season and 1.5 basketball seasons. He needs more time than that with his coaches (especially in football).

We should be in the NCAA tournament in basketball at least once in the next 2 years and have an obvious upward trajectory in football.

That being said, I don't think Senter will be here to hire any new coaches for basketball or football unless we are replacing a winner.

Reactions: ZonaMiner
Senter has been at UTEP 1 year 7 months and as mentioned above had had only 1 season in football and 1 in BB. And its not like he inherited a bowl caliber football program and NCAA Tourney caliber mens BB team when he got here. Bob Stull left him with a disaster. Senter isn't on the hot seat yet . If the football team wins less than 3 games and the basketball team isn't very good next season, then his seat will get a little bit warm.

As for Wilson wanting her own AD, nobody really knows. It is still yet to be determined if she is much different than Natalicio when it comes to athletics. IMO, after watching her intro conference a few months ago, I don't think she will be much different than Natalicio when it comes to athletics.

Last edited:
I just hope Wilson cares about Athletics as much as academics. I truly believe after Haskins passed Natalicio could care less about basketball or football.

I don't think Natalicio gave a crap about athletics even when Haskins was coaching. She just lucked out she had a Hall of Fame coach that ended up coaching at UTEP for 38 years, otherwise she would have cared less if our BB program was as successful as our football program.

Reactions: Lil_Train
I would like to think that she cares about sports since Paul Foster was on the selection committee that approved her hire.

0f9285e2-00c7-442e-aeff-cee1cca483de_1.43e5d5da143907b8c3329525d9a44a08.jpeg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT