ADVERTISEMENT

2021-22 What We Lost and What We Got

groundrounds

MI Regular
Dec 3, 2017
The Mountains of New Mexico
We lost Williams, Odigie, Sjolund, Vila, Vulakic and Hess. So far we have gained Giffa, Maring, Saterfield and Sibley.
I think Jamari Sibley is an instant impact player.s. Sibley is 6'8” 200 lbs., extremely agile with a chip on his shoulder. He was a 4 star, top 100 recruit for Georgetown so he has skill and a big upside. He also practiced and played against some very talented Big East bigs for an entire season. But, being an inside banger might not be his best role. We'll see.
To fully understand Sibley you have to understand more about coach Patrick Ewing and the Goergetown environment last season. Georgetown was picked last in the Big East and that put a lot of pressure on Ewing who is a hard core competitor. He ruffled some feathers on the team which caused the “Great Defection” and many players transferred, but Sibley stayed. However, Sibley didn't play the first several games and after that, only sparingly. There was some criticism in the press on the subject.
It's possible that Jamorko Pickett who started every game, 6.3 rpg, 29 blocks and Qudus Wahab who started 25 games with 8.2 rpg and second leading scorer were all that Ewing needed at forward.
Then, about mid season the Hoyas started to click and went from the bottom of the league to peaking for the conference tourney and intimately won it. The Hoyas smothering defense was credited for their winning streak.
Next, another look at what we got and what we lost.

Last edited:
Are we sure we're reading this correctly? I understand that July 1 is the deadline for athletes to declare for transfer if they play spring sports. It isn't a deadline to decide where to transfer.

I think the elephant in the room is the coaches.
Another coach might have:
1. Helped Williams get helped out of double teams. I think he'll really thrive at TT as long as they have a good coach.
2. Executed end of game strategy. We lost too many games because we panicked and didn't have a plan at the end.
3. (Add your observation here)
And we have a better stable of assistants.

A few more hours. Time to hit a home run! Hope I have to rewrite my little article!
While it is the last day to enter the transfer portal, I’m pretty sure it’s not the last day for a team to draw a player from it.

No way Kofi Cockburn would’ve entered the portal just today if today was the last day for him to be picked up by somebody.

Somebody please correct me if I’m wrong.

Cockburn and Cisse will be huge gets for somebody. Bagley is still available too

Last edited:
I think Saterfield and Sibley will have immediate impacts and play Big Minutes. Not sure yet on the other 2, but hopefully Maring can help down low. Williams was the only loss that mattered.

Expect that 2nd year players will step up, as they often do. This is not a given with new coaching but having played together even for a year should improve overall team play. We have some good parts outside but inside we need a lot. Good news is I do not believe Golding's focus as an inside oriented team is as strong as Terry's was.

I think Saterfield and Sibley will have immediate impacts and play Big Minutes. Not sure yet on the other 2, but hopefully Maring can help down low. Williams was the only loss that mattered.

Golding had said Maring is a work in progress. I wouldn't expect much from him.

Reactions: axingfools1
Golding said early that all players enter on an even level. No credence given to last seasons starters.
My own opinion, but since we struggled so mightily to score last year I think newcomers like Saterfield, Sibley and Giffa plus White have to get large opportunities. Look at shooting percentages for Bieniemy, Kennedy and Agnew and we must do better. I've said it before...more output from others = more productive output from Boum as well.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT