ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Football National Signing Day thread.

UTEPDefense

MI Hall of Famer
Oct 8, 2002
Here is the link to the updated list:

I believe that everyone appears to be accounted for so far, except for Joseph.

Overall, with everybody having less scholarships to hand out this year, there should have theoretically been more 3 star type of guys available to sign. So in theory, the overall recruiting class is a little underwhelming when viewed that way.

So far there have been no surprise signings.

I do think that Ballard is one of the best looking players that Dimel has signed during his entire time here. So at least we have that. He had 1 SEC offer and by comparison, I like him much better as a WR than the AJ Carter guy that some people on this board got excited about a couple of years ago(before he flipped to Utah State).

I also think that I am probably higher on Smith than the general consensus of this board. On the flip side, I am probably a little lower on Longino than the consensus, but you need to sign 1 HS QB each year and I have no problem him being the choice.

Joseph(if he signs) gives me Praise Amaewhule vibes, as a DE with good measurables. He looks like a legit 6'5" guy who can move and might turn into a good player if he can develop. He will need to learn to play with his hand on the ground and also has very little video of him working off blocks. But then there are some play on his HUDL, where if you would have only showed me those plays and told me that he was a 3 star guy with 20+ D1 offers from schools like SMU, Tulsa, etc., I would have believed it.

Neil looks to be the replacement for Lowe. With the addition/return of Neil(who started 15 games at a K State), N'Yang, and Barnes, our secondary is suddenly experienced again.

Out of the El Paso kids, only Immediato is listed as a signee. So the nonsense of some of the local guys like Blas Campeon issuing commitment statements as if they were offered scholarships, with some of the local media then also portraying it that way, looks to be confirmed as just PWO's.

With such a small recruiting class, hopefully after this year the scholarships will finally balance out and we can start signing full regular classes, without the need to blueshirt guys starting next season. Dimel claims this was a 4 year balancing process of having to borrow future scholarships each of the past 3 years, which had a target goal of finally balancing out after this year. Hopefully, at least that part of the program build is now complete.

Last edited:
I like this class overall. Nearly all are 3 stars on 247 and high 2 stars on rivals. Also I like the idea of a little ballyhoo for the walkons since good teams normally have a good walkon program.

The one thing I'm shocked about is we didn't sign a tight end. That's been a weak spot since Plinke left. We haven't had a d1 level tight end in years. I'm shocked they didn't try to bring one in.

Ballard is a great get. Finally we have 6'5 receiver who can win jump balls. We have a good crop of receivers but they are all 6' or under. It's nice to finally have that big target we've been lacking. I expect him to play right away.

I completely agree with you on Smith. I think he's going to contribute right away. I think he's going to play the role we hoped Walter Dawn would. I'm high on Smith. He's going to be the star of this class nobody saw coming.

I'm really happy they only signed one kid from El Paso. They're finally learning. Immediato certainly has a d1 body. I haven't seen any film on him to see his footwork or technique to have an opinion on him.

Ballard is a great get. Finally we have 6'5 receiver who can win jump balls. We have a good crop of receivers but they are all 6' or under. It's nice to finally have that big target we've been lacking. I expect him to play right away.

Last true "big" wr that UTEP had was Reggie Barrett. UTEP has had good wr's like Higgins, but I'm talking big body, speed, big hands and tall and went on and played for Lions and Seahawks I think.

As for who was the best last big WR that we have had, I would vote for Jayson Boyd at the end of the 2004 season. He was the 6'4" former Oregon State WR, who played most of 2004 with a bad hamstring/groin injury. He finally got fully healed and in shape for the final 3 games that season where he was outstanding.

Over the final 3 games, he scored a TD in every game and he led our team in receiving for every game as well. For those games, he averaged almost 120 yards receiving per game, including 140 yards and a TD in the bowl game against Colorado. During that season ending stretch, he was the best WR on our team that also had Johnnie Lee Higgins and Chris Francies who both played in the NFL.

Joseph took a minute but he has signed.

I think I'm intrigued by the early signee in Hurley because I dont think he plays QB. So he may be that TE or LB?

Joseph took a minute but he has signed.

I think I'm intrigued by the early signee in Hurley because I dont think he plays QB. So he may be that TE or LB?
When Hurley signed in December, Dimel said he needed another dual threat QB and that would allow Hardison to run more. He said Hardison can run but they had to be protective of him this past season. Now with Hurley on board he claims they can do more with the offense. So it looks like Hurley will fight for the backup spot with Brownholtz.

Reactions: kickballpro
When Hurley signed in December, Dimel said he needed another dual threat QB and that would allow Hardison to run more. He said Hardison can run but they had to be protective of him this past season. Now with Hurley on board he claims they can do more with the offense. So it looks like Hurley will fight for the backup spot with Brownholtz.

I heard it, but didn't believe it.

And now we have a Kansas State Transfer

Reactions: MinerInWisconsin
As for who was the best last big WR that we have had, I would vote for Jayson Boyd at the end of the 2004 season. He was the 6'4" former Oregon State WR, who played most of 2004 with a bad hamstring/groin injury. He finally got fully healed and in shape for the final 3 games that season where he was outstanding.

Over the final 3 games, he scored a TD in every game and he led our team in receiving for every game as well. For those games, he averaged almost 120 yards receiving per game, including 140 yards and a TD in the bowl game against Colorado. During that season ending stretch, he was the best WR on our team that also had Johnnie Lee Higgins and Chris Francies who both played in the NFL.
Boyd was tall but Barrett was almost built like Gronk.

Good one, for arguments sake I raise you Ian Hamilton in 2014.

Averaged 21.4 yards per catch his senior year on 27 grabs and had the second most receiving yards in the Kugler era from a WR. Only 3 career TD’s but was clearly under utilitlized and made an NFL training mini camp invite, he had crazy talent but yeah...that offense in 2014 was about Aaron Jones and The OL.

Boyd was a beast and almost broke through with the Raiders in the NFL.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Its funny when a Coach doesn't have very many 3 star players, they talk about how they don't pay attention to the stars next to their name. They look for character, diamonds in the rough, and guys that are good Football Players that fit their system.

As soon as guys with stars next to their names sign........."We signed a bunch of 3 star recruits."

Just saw the CUSA team rankings for the 2021 recruiting class. Guess who ranked 3rd and take a guess who finished dead last.

Just saw the CUSA team rankings for the 2021 recruiting class. Guess who ranked 3rd and take a guess who finished dead last.
Best recruiting classes the last few years, highest paid coaches, better facilities, and guess who has more cusa championships? Not unt. That’s right you have the same as UTEP. How pathetic.

Noticed in the EP Times article on UTEP's signing day that all seniors are expected back except linebackers Van Hook and Forester. Since both were starters and no new linebackers were recruited, that leaves a hole in the defense. It was also mentioned that Dimel expects to bring 3 more JC transfers in May. Hopefully a LB or 2 will be among them.

Best recruiting classes the last few years, highest paid coaches, better facilities, and guess who has more cusa championships? Not unt. That’s right you have the same as UTEP. How pathetic.
Very true. Also unt fb managed a 2 point win over UTEP this season at their place with UTEP missing their entire defensive backfield and their starting qb. I'm looking forward to a UTEP win over unt next season at their place. How embarrassing for unt and their great recruiting class. I wonder if untfan will visit this board then.

Most of the big shore places were closed now and there were hardly any lights except the shadowy, moving glow of a ferryboat across the Sound. And as they moon rose higher the inessential houses began to melt away until gradually I became aware of the old island here that flowered once for Dutch sailer' eyes -- a fresh, green breast of the new world. Its vanished trees, the trees that had made way for Gatsby's house, had once pandered in whispers to the last and greatest of all human dreams; for a transitory enchanted moment man must have held his breath in the presence of this continent, compelled into an aesthetic contemplation he neither understood nor desired, face to face for the last time in history with something commensurate to his capacity for wonder.

Against UNT we played #17 alot at LB Breon Hayward. He 16 total tackles and looked great. Tyrice Knight started that game. Plus we recruited a few guys last year.

My two sleepers at LB are Elijah Robinson and Xavier Simmons. Simmons is super fast, if he's bulked up by fall, that kid is going to be a problem. Fastest LB I saw a practices by far!

No championships yet but we are laying a strong foundation with a strong commitment to athletics. Beautiful modern stadium, indoor practice facility, and we can afford to pay our head coach a million plus dollars. The championships will come. Can the same be said for UTEP?

No championships yet but we are laying a strong foundation with a strong commitment to athletics. Beautiful modern stadium, indoor practice facility, and we can afford to pay our head coach a million plus dollars. The championships will come. Can the same be said for UTEP?

I follow and cultivate my own curiosity. I think curiosity is one of the top two or three human characteristics. It's something that I really like about myself. [...] I want to understand stuff! I want to understand people! Following my curiosity so frequently leads me to better life decisions and better business decisions but also - just feeling better! You're never going to feel bad about your whole life if you loved people and you were curious. I mean, that's kind of all I want!

Noticed in the EP Times article on UTEP's signing day that all seniors are expected back except linebackers Van Hook and Forester. Since both were starters and no new linebackers were recruited, that leaves a hole in the defense. It was also mentioned that Dimel expects to bring 3 more JC transfers in May. Hopefully a LB or 2 will be among them.
That's a safe bet.

This class is solid. Its a D1 group of kids. The only reason its not ranked higher is because there aren't very many kids.

A year from now, whoever the Coach is, will be able to sign around 25 players.

What is interesting, is all those players that entered the transfer portal, either went unsigned, to a lower level, or returned. (Duron Lowe being the exception as he went to Liberty.)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT