ADVERTISEMENT

2021 UTEP Basketball LINEUP/SCORERS

miner1liner

MI Hall of Famer
Feb 10, 2014
Just trying to get a little jib jab going on this dead board.
1) Now that it appears that no more recruits are enroute, who are your projected starters?
2) I posed this question once before with no responses. Who will be our next scorers after Souli? With BW gone who will be the main go to guys?

Reactions: axingfools1
1) Now that it appears that no more recruits are enroute, who are your projected starters?
2) I posed this question once before with no responses. Who will be our next scorers after Souli? With BW gone who will be the main go to guys?
Starters maybe Verhoeven, Sibley, Kennedy, Bi enemy, Boum, with Saterfield, Agnew, Maring all getting good playing time.

After Boum, scorers could be Saterfield, Maring and Sibley.

Last edited:
Starters maybe Verhoeven, Sibley, Kennedy, Bi enemy, Boum, with Saterfield, Agnew, Maring all getting good playing time.

After Boum, scorers could be Saterfield, Maring and Sinley.
Agree with your starters. I think Agnew picks up the pace scoring from off the bench. Maybe Saterfield and Maring too, but I'm really hoping Sibley can balance the scoring (with Boum) from the starting positions.

I'm not expecting drastic changes from Tydus or JB. Kennedy could be the X-factor if he continues to improve his shooting and gets more aggressive to the rim.

What do the think Golding/staff need to go after this cycle based on our current team right now?

Agree with your starters. I think Agnew picks up the pace scoring from off the bench. Maybe Saterfield and Maring too, but I'm really hoping Sibley can balance the scoring (with Boum) from the starting positions.

I'm not expecting drastic changes from Tydus or JB. Kennedy could be the X-factor if he continues to improve his shooting and gets more aggressive to the rim.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that Verhoeven surprises us all. 10ppg with 6rpg. I think he will continue to be a really solid contributor and one of our top 2 or 3 defenders.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that Verhoeven surprises us all. 10ppg with 6rpg. I think he will continue to be a really solid contributor and one of our top 2 or 3 defenders.
10/8 with 2 blocks would be awesome, but Sibley and Kennedy better bring it.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
One question? Was Golding not making an all out effort to get a big or two or was unable to recruit one?

One question? Was Golding not making an all out effort to get a big or two or was unable to recruit one?
He did say they wanted to recruit more bigs and transfers are still signing with schools so it's still possible. Time is running out.

Just pointing out Golding is still actively recruiting transfer players, and not necessarily just big men. I think there is still a good chance he adds at least one more guy.
After rereading the post I realized it was a tweet. I thought it was a post. I misunderstood the context. My apologies

OK .Here's my prognostication. Maybe not at the start, but after the dust settles I think it will be Boum, Bieniemy, Verhoeven, Sibley and Saterfield with the obvious backups.
And then Kennedy transfers, but oh well that's life in college sports now.

I like Verhoeven. I like his loyalty to UTEP and I like that he probably has far more in the tank than what Terry could tap from him.

With that said, I’m hoping Maring, after adjusting to the level of commitment that is required at the D1 level, can be the 10 points and 10 boards a game guy that we need down low.

Unless he has really developed under Golding, Verhoeven is limited in his versatility on the offensive end. Love him as a backup, or as a 2nd big on the floor. Definitely like his defensive abilities too.

...and now Coach is making it tougher to pick a lineup with the addition of Kevin Kalu. No rest.

OK .Here's my prognostication. Maybe not at the start, but after the dust settles I think it will be Boum, Bieniemy, Verhoeven, Sibley and Saterfield with the obvious backups.

What's ur obsession with Saterfield??? Are you his agent or related to him??

What's ur obsession with Saterfield??? Are you his agent or related to him??
You questioned me before about my impressions of Saterfield. I told you then & I'll tell you again. He was the leading scorer at Ranger where they went to the Final Four. He averaged 18ppg, shot 52% from the field, 80% FT and 47% from three. He was named to the All Tournament Team, was All NJCAA. Those numbers can't be ignored especially when you consider how enimic we were last year among the returnees and now BW is gone. Of all our candidates to me he seems to have the most impressive stats by far.
My hopes for his potential have some basis. May l ask you "once again" why you are an apparent doubter?
Do you have any alternate positive ideas or just looking for a dispute?

You questioned me before about my impressions of Saterfield. I told you then & I'll tell you again. He was the leading scorer at Ranger where they went to the Final Four. He averaged 18ppg, shot 52% from the field, 80% FT and 47% from three. He was named to the All Tournament Team, was All NJCAA. Those numbers can't be ignored especially when you consider how enimic we were last year among the returnees and now BW is gone. Of all our candidates to me he seems to have the most impressive stats by far.
My hopes for his potential have some basis. May l ask you "once again" why you are an apparent doubter?
Do you have any alternate positive ideas or just looking for a dispute?

I'd be willing to bet you unless there is a injury with the returning players that he wont start this season.

...and now Coach is making it tougher to pick a lineup with the addition of Kevin Kalu. No rest.
It depends how he adjusts to the big jump in competition to D1 mid major but local writers in the city appear to like his work ethic and energy but honestly I do not expect a bunch of playing time this year and it so late in the game not to mention school starts in a few days. Tea leaves reading tells me there must have been qualifying issues now cleared up and/or Golding losing out on a big man transfer.

"The senior has been a menace for opposing defenses and made his presence felt with a number of dunks. Kalu used his athletic ability to sky over players for rebounds and hustled for loose balls.

“I just wanted to come into the game with energy, like how they came into our gym with energy,” Kalu said. “I told myself that I was going to dunk everything and basically play into my strengths.”

It’s the same type of intensity that he brings to workouts — hitting the speed ladder during the offseason, going to the gym to shoot and working on his leaping ability."

Reactions: MinerInWisconsin
It depends how he adjusts to the big jump in competition to D1 mid major but local writers in the city appear to like his work ethic and energy but honestly I do not expect a bunch of playing time this year and it so late in the game not to mention school starts in a few days. Tea leaves reading tells me there must have been qualifying issues now cleared up and/or Golding losing out on a big man transfer.
I think you're right that he won't get a ton of playing time but he has a lot of potential and the right coaching staff to bring him along and turn him into a force in a year or two.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
I think you're right that he won't get a ton of playing time but he has a lot of potential and the right coaching staff to bring him along and turn him into a force in a year or two.
Definitely agree. I am a lover of those east coast basketball catholic leagues. They don't get the pub like they did in the 80's and 90's but they would dominate Texas 6A leagues (like Dallas Jesuit).

I'd be willing to bet you unless there is a injury with the returning players that he wont start this season.
I am not the coach. The coach hasn't requested my input. I do feel that he will review last year's results. He will see that we were 12-12, only averaged 70ppg, one game we had 33 points, only had two double digit scorers( now BW is gone), other returnees probably barely shot 40%, etc..If he wants to win I hope he is approaching the challenge with the idea that part of the solution is to try something new and different. Last year's idea certainly wasn't a winner. Why would he be content with the status quo? I think he even said early on that "all" players start the year even with no credence given to who did what last year.

I am not the coach. The coach hasn't requested my input. I do feel that he will review last year's results. He will see that we were 12-12, only averaged 70ppg, one game we had 33 points, only had two double digit scorers( now BW is gone), other returnees probably barely shot 40%, etc..If he wants to win I hope he is approaching the challenge with the idea that part of the solution is to try something new and different. Last year's idea certainly wasn't a winner. Why would he be content with the status quo? I think he even said early on that "all" players start the year even with no credence given to who did what last year.
Good thoughts and coach also said he thinks Verhoeven can improve his offensive output. It's going to be interesting to see how everything works out.

Interesting indeed!
With nothing but videos for us to see on the newbies; not seeing them at daily practice sessions, etc.,it's tough to genuinly evaluate their assets and liabilities from our living room, but I can see countless lineup possibilities.

I'm still holding on that JB, Boum, Kennedy, Sibley and Tydus start, but I also feel that Golding will have no qualms with making adjustments. His philosophy is nothing new (play D, make layups and hit 3s), but I dont see him 'playing favorites' if things break down.

I won't be surprised at all if the starting 5 is different or if somebody like Saterfield breaks through and is there in the end. Actually we need 1-2 guys to break through.

Last edited:
Reactions: miner1liner
I think we could see a bunch of combos this year if we actually go 10 deep (from 4 guards with Sibley or Kennedy at the 4 to a big lineup with Sibley at the 3). We could also see only 7-8 players deep as the season progresses (KK could red shirt to stagger bigs).

PG JB, Boum, Giffa?
SG Boum, Agnew, Saterfield
SG Kennedy, Saterfield, Agnew
SF Kennedy, Sibley, Saterfield
PF Sibley, Maring, KK, Kennedy
C Tydus, Maring, Onyema

Last edited:
now that we know the team?? Who is starting 5??? Hollins might have thrown wrench to the starting 5??Sibley has to start right?? I dont think he would transfer to Utep to come off the bench?? Hollins might be the 6th man. My starters are.....

PG JB
SG Boum
SF Kennedy
PF Sibley
C Tydus

6th Man Hollins
7th Agnew

Reactions: axingfools1
now that we know the team?? Who is starting 5??? Hollins might have thrown wrench to the starting 5??Sibley has to start right?? I dont think he would transfer to Utep to come off the bench?? Hollins might be the 6th man. My starters are.....

PG JB
SG Boum
SF Kennedy
PF Sibley
C Tydus

6th Man Hollins
7th Agnew
Add Satterfield and Maring and I think we go at least 8 deep. Of course there are a lot of unknowns right now, but I agree that Hollins may see a lot of playing time backing up/pushing 3-4. Who knows he may have a break out year in CUSA. That would be nice!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT