ADVERTISEMENT

3 wins for football team?

NoNCAAWinsSince1992

MI Miner Maniac
Nov 12, 2019

They have a real chance at going 3-1 before they even hit CUSA play. Not saying they will, but NMSU, Bethune, and UNM are winnable games.

• Wow
Reactions: JCorona

They have a real chance at going 3-1 before they even hit CUSA play. Not saying they will, but NMSU, Bethune, and UNM are winnable games.
Depends on how well the team is prepared to play. I wouldn't necessarily count NMSU as a win. Despite being among the worst programs in all of FBS, beating NMSU is always a dogfight. And a lost to Bethune-Cookman would be to Dimel what losing to Cal-Poly was to Gary Nord in 2003. Unlike basketball, I'm keeping my expectations on this upcoming football season real low.

Last edited:
Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
I want to say that The Miners should get 4-6 wins. Hankins at RB, some good WRs, Praise on the DL, but it’s UTEP and once they get beat up they’ll probably fold like a cheap suit. I listed to the AJ Hotchkins interview on Sports talk and he said that UTEP won’t win 3 games because their culture is so messed up. I can agree with that. He blames Dimel but this goes way deeper than the HC.,

I see 6 wins from the following:

NMSU, Bethune-Cookman, UNM, ODU, LT, UNT and Rice. I hope Senter is ready to pull the plug on Dimel if they lose to either NMSU or B-C or fail to win 5 or more. No extensions unless they go bowling and even then no more than 1 additional year. Its time to do or die for Dimel.

I see 6 wins from the following:

NMSU, Bethune-Cookman, UNM, ODU, LT, UNT and Rice. I hope Senter is ready to pull the plug on Dimel if they lose to either NMSU or B-C or fail to win 5 or more. No extensions unless they go bowling and even then no more than 1 additional year. Its time to do or die for Dimel.
It’s tough to imagine Dimel gets another big extension. The only way I would be comfortable locking him up another 3+ years is if he got UTEP into a bowl and they won but that’s highly unlikely.

Getting to a bowl is not a reason to extend Dismel. Just being average doesn’t excite me. If they were to win 8 games or Conference they I could accept an extension.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Six wins and a bowl game would warrant a one year extension in my opinion. Eight wins and a bowl game should be rewarded with a two year extension. I think both are unlikely unfortunately due to Dimel’s offensive scheme which is terribly outdated and simply doesn’t put enough points on the scoreboard with an average defense at best. I would be much more excited about the upcoming season if Dimel had relinquished his play calling duties to the new OC. My crystal ball says four wins with Dimel’s dismissal at season’s end. Dimel is too stubborn and too set in his offensive ways to adapt his personnel with different skill sets.

Last edited:
Until the teams shows improvement no prediction above 1 win from me.
I don't know if you watched last season, but they did show improvement and if games weren't cancelled would've went Bowling and almost still went if they had won last game against N.Texas. I'm not saying we're gonna be world beaters, but I expect 4+ wins

While I understand the dis trust in Dimel and Utep Football as a whole, trust me. I feel like some of you who are saying 1 win or whatever, really didn't pay attention to the vast improvement last year. In basically every game, only 2 home games, Defensive Line was a Beast at times, offensive improvement and a win a way from 4-4 with all the drama of Covid and home games gett'n cancelled. I'll take bets from any of you who say they won't win at least 3!

Reactions: MineroFanatico
While I understand the dis trust in Dimel and Utep Football as a whole, trust me. I feel like some of you who are saying 1 win or whatever, really didn't pay attention to the vast improvement last year. In basically every game, only 2 home games, Defensive Line was a Beast at times, offensive improvement and a win a way from 4-4 with all the drama of Covid and home games gett'n cancelled. I'll take bets from any of you who say they won't win at least 3!
Both home games, they scraped by 2 FCS teams. They got totally blown out by Texas and UTSA. Though they did have 3 close road losses in CUSA play, they still lost. Dimel still has 1 conference win in 3 seasons in a horrible FBS conference.

The only game that I thought was “impressive” was the win versus ULM, but again, they were probably the worst FBS team last season. I think 4 wins should be the worst case scenario, but that shouldn’t let Dimel keeps his job. If he loses to NMSU or BCU, all bets are off and he should be fired after a loss to them. I can accept a loss to New Mexico, but they better start performing better immediately after that game.

Both home games, they scraped by 2 FCS teams. They got totally blown out by Texas and UTSA. Though they did have 3 close road losses in CUSA play, they still lost. Dimel still has 1 conference win in 3 seasons in a horrible FBS conference.

The only game that I thought was “impressive” was the win versus ULM, but again, they were probably the worst FBS team last season. I think 4 wins should be the worst case scenario, but that shouldn’t let Dimel keeps his job. If he loses to NMSU or BCU, all bets are off and he should be fired after a loss to them. I can accept a loss to New Mexico, but they better start performing better immediately after that game.
They played in front of almost empty stadiums in conference. Those road games were basically mano a mano and we lost. LT was decimated when we played them. The only improvement was our starters beating some of their 2/3rd string guys. Even then couldn't put it all together to win the game. By his third year Dimel should have shown enough improvement to beat at least 2 fbs teams. I wouldn't be at all surprised with another losing year.

The disappointing aspect about last year was that the offense was absolutely anemic outside the ULM game and fourth quarters against the fcs schools. Hardison regressed throughout the season. He did nothing to cement himself as the starter. There should have been a competition in the spring. Honestly the offense looked best against UNT. Dimel's offense requires a qb to make plays with their legs. Brownholtz can do it and the offense looked coherent and efficient with him under center. He can't throw four picks but his decision making can be improved. Outside of of the ULM game the offense was awful and Hardison was bad. He can throw it 60 yards, but he really struggles with accuracy and foot work. We have the best running back group in CUSA. Our relievers are as good as anybody in the conference. We have a veteran oline. We need a d1 tight end but that's been missing since Plinke left. However, this team will not win unless we get better production at QB. Hardison should be on a very short leash. However, I doubt he will be.

I don't trust Dimael at all, but this an easy schedule. If we lose either of the first two games the Dimel era is over. The conference schedule is very manageable. All of the West schools are pretty much even. Lots of parity. UAB will come back to the pack and UTSA will be the team that's better than everyone else. Honestly in year four this should be at very least a 7 win team. Any win total under six should cost Dimel his job. Six wins should get Dimel to year five of his contract but no extension.

Last edited:
The disappointing aspect about last year was that the offense was absolutely anemic outside the ULM game and fourth quarters against the fcs schools. Hardison regressed throughout the season. He did nothing to cement himself as the starter. There should have been a competition in the spring. Honestly the offense looked best against UNT. Dimel's offense requires a qb to make plays with their legs. Brownholtz can do it and the offense looked coherent and efficient with him under center. He can't throw four picks but his decision making can be improved. Outside of of the ULM game the offense was awful and Hardison was bad. He can throw it 60 yards, but he really struggles with accuracy and foot work. We have the best running back group in CUSA. Our relievers are as good as anybody in the conference. We have a veteran oline. We need a d1 tight end but that's been missing since Plinke left. However, this team will not win unless we get better production at QB. Hardison should be on a very short leash. However, I doubt he will be.

I don't trust Dimael at all, but this an easy schedule. If we lose either of the first two games the Dimel era is over. The conference schedule is very manageable. All of the West schools are pretty much even. Lots of parity. UAB will come back to the pack and UTSA will be the team that's better than everyone else. Honestly in year four this should be at very least a 7 win team. Any win total under six should cost Dimel his job. Six wins should get Dimel to year five of his contract but no extension.
Hardison had a 54.27 completion percentage and threw 5 TDs and 5 Ints while throwing for 202.71 ypg and a 117.44 Rtg. Brownholtz, had a 48.65 completion % and threw 2 TDs and 4 Ints while throwing for 31.88 ypg and a 102.76 Rtg. I don’t know if I trust either guy but Brownholtz did little to make anyone think the job should be up for grabs by throwing 4 picks vs UNT. This isn’t exactly a Montana/Young situation at UTEP. We just need a QB who isn’t a complete train wreck. Conventional wisdom says you make a situation bad when you keep switching between 2 good QBs, imagine the disaster if you can’t pick between 2 bad ones?

Hardison had a 54.27 completion percentage and threw 5 TDs and 5 Ints while throwing for 202.71 ypg and a 117.44 Rtg. Brownholtz, had a 48.65 completion % and threw 2 TDs and 4 Ints while throwing for 31.88 ypg and a 102.76 Rtg. I don’t know if I trust either guy but Brownholtz did little to make anyone think the job should be up for grabs by throwing 4 picks vs UNT. This isn’t exactly a Montana/Young situation at UTEP. We just need a QB who isn’t a complete train wreck. Conventional wisdom says you make a situation bad when you keep switching between 2 good QBs, imagine the disaster if you can’t pick between 2 bad ones?

I agree. The only difference is that with Dimel's offense you need a running qb. The offense looked better against UNT than any other game in the Dimel era. If Brownholtz is in I would cater the offense to his skill set. The four picks are bad, but in his defense he didn't have very many reps in practice. I think his arm is every bit as strong as Hardisons. Hardison looked great against ULM and put up numbers in garbage time against Charlotte. Those five quarters padded his stats. I thought as the season went on he regressed. If Brownholtz is in you can run alot of read option dumb down the passing tree if needed and run alot of RPO's and win six games with the talent we have. Unless Hardison improves his accuracy significantly I don't see us winning six games with him under center. Like you said we really just need pedestrian play at qb. I hope Hardison steps up.

I think they played well at la tech n decent at NTexas. Didn't say they're by no means a top CUSA Teams! I said they should be expected to win more than 3 this year and I'd say they win 4 or more. I'd say 5-7 6-6 if things break in their favor.

I agree. The only difference is that with Dimel's offense you need a running qb. The offense looked better against UNT than any other game in the Dimel era. If Brownholtz is in I would cater the offense to his skill set. The four picks are bad, but in his defense he didn't have very many reps in practice. I think his arm is every bit as strong as Hardisons. Hardison looked great against ULM and put up numbers in garbage time against Charlotte. Those five quarters padded his stats. I thought as the season went on he regressed. If Brownholtz is in you can run alot of read option dumb down the passing tree if needed and run alot of RPO's and win six games with the talent we have. Unless Hardison improves his accuracy significantly I don't see us winning six games with him under center. Like you said we really just need pedestrian play at qb. I hope Hardison steps up.
Agree as well. Dimel also signed JC QB Hurley, who was unfortunately hurt for the Spring game. I'm not confident Hurley can be a D1 guy looking at his JC passing percentages, but he does look like a guy who is a legit running threat. I don't see Hurley as a camp body signing like Bravo, etc. Bottom line, I just don't see Hardison as a fit for Dimel's offense.

To be fair Brownholtz didn't find out he was playing till the morning they were leaving for the game. He had no reps with the first team all week and very few reps with the second team. If you weren't a starter last season, you weren't getting many reps in practice. Not sure why they did it that way since covid was a threat to bench anyone and everyone.

Agree as well. Dimel also signed JC QB Hurley, who was unfortunately hurt for the Spring game. I'm not confident Hurley can be a D1 guy looking at his JC passing percentages, but he does look like a guy who is a legit running threat. I don't see Hurley as a camp body signing like Bravo, etc. Bottom line, I just don't see Hardison as a fit for Dimel's offense.
Well for whatever reason either way that's Dimels guy and will get the first shot and his job to lose.

Reactions: Lil_Train
I get what you’re saying. I’m just not a big fan of the RPO offense. I feel Hardison is the better pure passer (not by much) but since he can’t run that limits the offense in a good way. That’s more opportunities to use the RBs instead of letting the QB run with the ball which to me seems like a waste of a down. If I had my choice I’d let Hankins, Awatt, Wadley etc run the ball over any QB on the roster.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT