Over Total: 8-3-1

UCLA
Record: 9-3, 6-3 Pac-12
SP+ Offense: 3
SP+ Defense: 83
FPI: +8.5
Against The Spread: 6-6
Over Total: 9-3

Sun Bowl Fan Fiesta cancelled this year due to Migrant crisis state of emergency.

Convention Center is now being used to house immigrants
This is excellent news for the few UCLA and Pitt fans that decided to travel here. One less thing for them to do because we’re welcoming to poor Hondurans and Venezuelans. Surely, they will be saying positive things about El Paso after that!

Last edited:
Looks like a good crowd and party like usual. DTR looking like #12 from UTEP out there ruining two decent bowl parlays I have, UCLA been good to me all year too :(

Reactions: unihorn
george-costanza-was-that-wrong.gif

It was a pig-headed thing to say.

That said, asylum is legal under current law. I don’t like it — rather see a ramped up worker permit program.

Congress sets immigration policy way more than the president. This situation is a bipartisan failure.

I didn't watch the Sun Bowl today, I was driving home to San Antonio from the DFW area while the game was on. As such, I don't know how well attended the game was, nor how the fans responded to what was apparently a great game. I did get this text from my oldest brother, who now lives in Albuquerque, I have no idea as to the accuracy of his observations:

Stands at the Sun Bowl are less than half full. Embarrassing and pitiful. It is a good game with two good teams.

This was my response:

El Paso used to really support the Sun Bowl. It's too bad that this seems to be a thing of the past. I can think of multiple possible reasons:

1. There are WAY too many bowl games these days. Thirty years ago you had to be a good team to make a bowl. Now FBS is the equivalent of "every kid gets a trophy" with their bowl games. The fact that schools like UTEP and NMSU get so excited every time they make a bowl game says more about how pathetic those programs are rather than about the prestige of making a bowl game these days.
2. Given the aforementioned volume of bowl games these days, El Pasoans no longer feel the prestige of our city hosting a bowl game.
3. El Pasoans are tired of seeing other bowls, bowls which are much newer and/or used to be considered lesser bowls than the Sun, lap the Sun Bowl in pecking order when it comes to selecting teams.
4. With the creation of first the BCS, and now the playoff, no one really cares about the other bowls anymore. Even traditional New Years Day bowls that aren't participating in the playoffs draw much less attention than they used to.

Given the above, it looks like El Pasoans looked at the Sun Bowl and, despite the fact that it was good match up between two teams with good records a solid football histories, responded with a collective "meh."

So two questions for this board:

1. Were my brother's observations accurate?
2. If so, do you think my response is correct, or is there another reason for the reduced support for the Sun Bowl.

Now I wouldn't be surprised if my brother was wrong about the size of the crowd. He is quite the pessimist.

I didn't watch the Sun Bowl today, I was driving home to San Antonio from the DFW area while the game was on. As such, I don't know how well attended the game was, nor how the fans responded to what was apparently a great game. I did get this text from my oldest brother, who now lives in Albuquerque, I have no idea as to the accuracy of his observations:

Stands at the Sun Bowl are less than half full. Embarrassing and pitiful. It is a good game with two good teams.

This was my response:

El Paso used to really support the Sun Bowl. It's too bad that this seems to be a thing of the past. I can think of multiple possible reasons:

1. There are WAY too many bowl games these days. Thirty years ago you had to be a good team to make a bowl. Now FBS is the equivalent of "every kid gets a trophy" with their bowl games. The fact that schools like UTEP and NMSU get so excited every time they make a bowl game says more about how pathetic those programs are rather than about the prestige of making a bowl game these days.
2. Given the aforementioned volume of bowl games these days, El Pasoans no longer feel the prestige of our city hosting a bowl game.
3. El Pasoans are tired of seeing other bowls, bowls which are much newer and/or used to be considered lesser bowls than the Sun, lap the Sun Bowl in pecking order when it comes to selecting teams.
4. With the creation of first the BCS, and now the playoff, no one really cares about the other bowls anymore. Even traditional New Years Day bowls that aren't participating in the playoffs draw much less attention than they used to.

Given the above, it looks like El Pasoans looked at the Sun Bowl and, despite the fact that it was good match up between two teams with good records a solid football histories, responded with a collective "meh."

So two questions for this board:

1. Were my brother's observations accurate?
2. If so, do you think my response is correct, or is there another reason for the reduced support for the Sun Bowl.

Now I wouldn't be surprised if my brother was wrong about the size of the crowd. He is quite the pessimist.
I just looked at the box score, and it said that the attendance was 41K, which is pretty good. It looks like my brother was being his usual, negative self.

Reactions: unihorn
I just looked at the box score, and it said that the attendance was 41K, which is pretty good. It looks like my brother was being his usual, negative self.
When did he send it to you? The shots they showed during the intro and right before kick, yes, it did look like a decently attended Miner game, but it was a really good looking crowd in the 2nd half.

Reactions: Lil_Train
It was a pig-headed thing to say.

That said, asylum is legal under current law. I don’t like it — rather see a ramped up worker permit program.

Congress sets immigration policy way more than the president. This situation is a bipartisan failure.

This guy was broadcasting another game and giving a score update on the Sun Bowl. He’s a straight AHole.

Imagine if the game was in Chicago and he said, “The Bears and Packers are meeting in the nations murder capital.”

Or the Titans visit the Ravens, should be a lot of high school dropouts in attendance.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT