ADVERTISEMENT

A few thoughrs

MinerManiac

MI Hall of Famer
Jun 28, 2001
It was great to see Lil_Train again, and meet alamominer, JCorona, FanatiCoog, and other Miner fans. Certainly the highlight of an otherwise disappointing day.

Why does this team, that shoots so poorly from beyond the arc, love to shoot the three so much? Train and I commented to each other when Vila and Boum each hit their first 3 that maybe it was a good sign. Train worried later that we jinxed them, but nah, they just ended up shooting like they always do.

Does this team have to be down by over 20 before they start playing with heart?

Great defense during our run, and we were scoring inside, which worked. Subbing Vila in for Efe, when the latter was really working hard on D today and blocking out well on the defensive boards, and returning to the outside game, killed our run.

When we had to resort to fouling, why did we continually put Jackson at the line? Stupid.

I wasn't impressed with the UTSA fans. Us Miner fans began a defense chant in the second half. After we did so the Road Runner fans would answer with their own chant when we had the ball. Had we not started anything, the UTSA would have continued to sit on their hands like they did the rest of the game.

At the end if the day, though, their fans went home happy. Like last year, I left the arena depressed and disappointed.

Yeah, I just didn't expect this win, unfortunately. I know some people got excited about the prospect of us "turning a corner" when we came back from so far behind last game, but you don't turn the corner on a season by playing one good half of basketball.

The more telling thing last game was the fact we got so far behind at home to begin with. That's not what happens when a team has turned the corner. This time, the miracle didn't happen, and we lost to a better team...or at least a team that's better coached or certainly more cohesive...

It was great to see Lil_Train again, and meet alamominer, JCorona, FanatiCoog, and other Miner fans. Certainly the highlight of an otherwise disappointing day.

Why does this team, that shoots so poorly from beyond the arc, love to shoot the three so much? Train and I commented to each other when Vila and Boum each hit their first 3 that maybe it was a good sign. Train worried later that we jinxed them, but nah, they just ended up shooting like they always do.

Great defense during our run, and we were scoring inside, which worked. Subbing Vila in for Efe, when the latter was really working hard on D today and blocking out well on the defensive boards, and returning to the outside game, killed our run.

When we had to resort to fouling, why did we continually put Jackson at the line? Stupid.

I wasn't impressed with the UTSA fans. Us Miner fans began a defense chant in the second half. After we did so the Road Runner fans would answer with their own chant when we had the ball. Had we not started anything, the UTSA would have continued to sit on their hands like they did the rest of the game.

At the end if the day, though, their fans went home happy. Like last year, I left the arena depressed and disappointed.
Perfect synopsis Maniac. Even though we came up on the short end, I still left the arena with a big smile from getting the chance to catch up with you all. If Terry would consider hiring us as unpaid assistants, we could have this turned around in no time. :)

Echo unihorn.
Happy that there seemed to be a good representation of Miners at the game . Too bad the boys didn't come through for you. Their overall downward caliber of play is mystifying. Looks like it will be an under .500 season to me. There is no game remaining that I could confidently put in the win column.

Echo unihorn.
Happy that there seemed to be a good representation of Miners at the game . Too bad the boys didn't come through for you. Their overall downward caliber of play is mystifying. Looks like it will be can under .500 season to me. There is no game remaining that I could confidently put in the win column.

We’re kind of a Frankenstein team made of parts that don’t fit together.

Echo unihorn.
Happy that there seemed to be a good representation of Miners at the game . Too bad the boys didn't come through for you. Their overall downward caliber of play is mystifying. Looks like it will be can under .500 season to me. There is no game remaining that I could confidently put in the win column.

I would put Middle Tennessee in the W column.

Reactions: FeralFelidae

1,684 in attendance as per ESPN.

By the way @MinerManiac can get a defense chant started with the best of the best. You made their fans step up their cheering game. Too bad we couldn’t get it closer than six cuz the UTEP section was about to explode.

It helps to have a naturally loud voice (very loud, it annoys the hell out of my wife) and to bring along a four person cheering section who follow your lead. Yes, the UTEP section would have absolutely exploded if we had taken the lead. Too bad it didn't happen.

Echo unihorn.
Happy that there seemed to be a good representation of Miners at the game . Too bad the boys didn't come through for you. Their overall downward caliber of play is mystifying. Looks like it will be an under .500 season to me. There is no game remaining that I could confidently put in the win column.
After making this doom and gloom prediction I looked at the remaining eight scheduled games. We are now 11-8, 2-4. I see us going 2-6 which may or may not even get us in the tournament. 11-8 becomes 13-14 and 2-4 becomes 4-10. Any thoughts on this?

I
After making this doom and gloom prediction I looked at the remaining eight scheduled games. We are now 11-8, 2-4. I see us going 2-6 which may or may not even get us in the tournament. 11-8 becomes 13-14 and 2-4 becomes 4-10. Any thoughts on this?

Jcorona and I arrived at about the same conclusion last night. I think I said 14-13, and I’m pretty sure corona said 13-14. I may be a game off with what he said. The drinks were flowing.:)

I

Jcorona and I arrived at about the same conclusion last night. I think I said 14-13, and I’m pretty sure corona said 13-14. I may be a game off with what he said. The drinks were flowing.:)
What a sad year it's become. How can we get outplayed, outcoached and outrecruited by a school who plays in a high school gym and averages 1,000 per game?

Reactions: picks up
Yea we said best case scenario 17-10 (8-6). That would include defending the Don and splitting the remaining road trips. It’s most likely not going to happen.

Realistically 14-13 (5-9). I don’t see us winning a road game and we will likely lose at home at least one more time. 5 conference wins likely places us in the third pod and we will be fighting for a spot in Frisco. In pod play we probably go 2-2 and earn the #11 seed.

Once it’s all said and done 18-16 and we anxiously wait to see our name during the cbi selection show.

What a sad year it's become. How can we get outplayed, outcoached and outrecruited by a school who plays in a high school gym and averages 1,000 per game?

We’re cursed. Other than that, I don’t know what else it could be. Maybe just years and years of apathy from a President and an AD and that apathy has a momentum to it that will take a few years to completely stop and change direction.

Once it’s all said and done 18-16 and we anxiously wait to see our name during the cbi selection show.

Meh. I won't be anxious about going anywhere other than the NCAA or NIT tourneys. The CBI is like football bowl games - worthless. The school has to pay to play. Screw that nonsense. Use that money to hire a better coach.

Yea we said best case scenario 17-10 (8-6). That would include defending the Don and splitting the remaining road trips. It’s most likely not going to happen.

Realistically 14-13 (5-9). I don’t see us winning a road game and we will likely lose at home at least one more time. 5 conference wins likely places us in the third pod and we will be fighting for a spot in Frisco. In pod play we probably go 2-2 and earn the #11 seed.

Oh yeah. I think I forgot that we talked about best case scenario, probably due to how unlikely it is to happen. Lol.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Meh. I won't be anxious about going anywhere other than the NCAA or NIT tourneys. The CBI is like football bowl games - worthless. The school has to pay to play. Screw that nonsense. Use that money to hire a better coach.

$50,000 isn't going to hire a better coach.

So you wouldn't be happy if UTEP won a bowl game?

The Sun Bowl's payout is $4,550,000. What do you mean teams have to pay to be in bowl games?

I think Senter and Terry would jump at the opportunity to finish the season with 20+ wins.

Reactions: miner1liner
CBI is worthless, if we end up there a quarter of this team probably won’t return. Doesn’t seem like these players enjoy playing on this team. To easy now to transfer, so why stay when your not having fun, or having coaches that improve your game.

Reactions: MINER.JAY
I'm going to wait on the gloom and doom "bottom pod" "missing the CUSA tournament" predictions at least until the Rice game. This is the best chance the Miners have to get that road game monkey off their back and things will look much better if that happens.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT