ADVERTISEMENT

A little devil's advocacy for Dimel's 3rd year

MinerInWisconsin

MI Miner Maniac
Nov 28, 2001
This will be difficult because the evidence for an improving football team is virtually non-existent.

The truth looks to be that Dimel will get at least a 3rd year whether we like it or not so here is the best I can do to play devil's advocate:

1. His time at Wyoming has been trashed a bit on this board since he took over a Cowboy team that had gone 10-2 the year before he arrived. Tiller, the Wyoming coach, left to take the Purdue job and took his staff with him. The team that won those 10 games lost tons of seniors as Dimel arrived. The program at Wyoming was hurt by the fact that even with 10 wins, there was no bowl invitation. The athletic department staff stated that that would be used against them in the recruiting wars, "even if you win 10 games at Wyoming, no bowl wants you" was the fear and it was used according to the Wyoming folks. So in retrospect, Dimel's 3 straight winning seasons at Wyoming were something of a success that can be pointed to.

2. His time at Houston is another story. The coach he replaced, Kim Helton, was there for 7 years and had 5 losing seasons. One trip to the Liberty Bowl. Fired after his second winning season, 7-4. Dimel then claimed the program was in worse shape that he was told and obviously things did not go well. His last season was 5-7 and he had some very good recruiting classes. Would his 4th year have been a good one? We will never know but things were trending up.

3. His time at UTEP has been horrible to say the least. Starting off with a loss to fcs team NAU set the tone. Some very competitive games his first season with the win over Rice on the road and games vs NMSU, UTSA, UNT and LT that were close enough to go either way. Looked like he was making things a bit better. Then this year happened. It's true that the first recruiting class was not that great and that's partially the fault of the new early signing period. Maybe a good recruiting class this year, his redshirt program and a few good transfers will help for next season and we will see some progress.

Ok, that's all I got. Let me have it with your insults and bashing. I feel I deserve it. I'm old enough that I will forget what you said shortly after you say it, so it won't matter much.

I agree with what you are saying Wisconsin, but it doesnt explain the poor decision making, clock management or play calls this year. I think that is what is more concerning at this point. It also doesn't explain the QB debacle. Why didn't Hardison start against NMSU?? UTEP desperately needs to win some games and bring some excitement, not keep being told it will take 4-5 years. In his 3rd year there will be absolutely no excuse for any of the above issues (better recruiting or not).

I think even if Nick Saben was coach he wouldve had hard time. Hed probably win 3 games. I blame Sean Kugler.

Kugler should be sued for what he did here for his year as head coach. They were unprepared, the recruiting class was a joke, and for his alleged off the field antics. Stull should have fired him with cause. Dimel's first Spring Practice resembled The Texas State Armadillos.

Kugler should be sued for what he did here for his year as head coach. They were unprepared, the recruiting class was a joke, and for his alleged off the field antics. Stull should have fired him with cause. Dimel's first Spring Practice resembled The Texas State Armadillos.

"alleged off the field antics"? do tell (I don't live in EP)

Reactions: minerfan_14

Kugler still won multiple games every year except for the one he quit in mid-season. Yes, Aaron Jones had something to do with that, but the defense still had to defense, special teams still needed to special team and so on. Yes, Kugler sucked, but even he won some games and a Dismel is even worse!!!

Reactions: Autograph Boy
This will be difficult because the evidence for an improving football team is virtually non-existent.

The truth looks to be that Dimel will get at least a 3rd year whether we like it or not so here is the best I can do to play devil's advocate:

1. His time at Wyoming has been trashed a bit on this board since he took over a Cowboy team that had gone 10-2 the year before he arrived. Tiller, the Wyoming coach, left to take the Purdue job and took his staff with him. The team that won those 10 games lost tons of seniors as Dimel arrived. The program at Wyoming was hurt by the fact that even with 10 wins, there was no bowl invitation. The athletic department staff stated that that would be used against them in the recruiting wars, "even if you win 10 games at Wyoming, no bowl wants you" was the fear and it was used according to the Wyoming folks. So in retrospect, Dimel's 3 straight winning seasons at Wyoming were something of a success that can be pointed to.

2. His time at Houston is another story. The coach he replaced, Kim Helton, was there for 7 years and had 5 losing seasons. One trip to the Liberty Bowl. Fired after his second winning season, 7-4. Dimel then claimed the program was in worse shape that he was told and obviously things did not go well. His last season was 5-7 and he had some very good recruiting classes. Would his 4th year have been a good one? We will never know but things were trending up.

3. His time at UTEP has been horrible to say the least. Starting off with a loss to fcs team NAU set the tone. Some very competitive games his first season with the win over Rice on the road and games vs NMSU, UTSA, UNT and LT that were close enough to go either way. Looked like he was making things a bit better. Then this year happened. It's true that the first recruiting class was not that great and that's partially the fault of the new early signing period. Maybe a good recruiting class this year, his redshirt program and a few good transfers will help for next season and we will see some progress.

Ok, that's all I got. Let me have it with your insults and bashing. I feel I deserve it. I'm old enough that I will forget what you said shortly after you say it, so it won't matter much.
No bashing Wis. He has great talent next year. No if's, and's or but's about it. None of this I need a full four year from high school to college senior recruiting cycle for success. X's abd O's can be implemented within three years. You have transfers now who hang out on the corner with "Have one year of eligibility as a transfer. Will play for any FBS, FCS school" portal.

Hhmm well when you put it like this it sounds like the common denominator is Dimel and his unfortunate luck to always step on shit.

"alleged off the field antics"? do tell (I don't live in EP)
His uncouth behavior? The media loved it and ate it up, so to speak. There were rumors here and there that he may have been unprofessional to people but reports are he ran a clean and tight ship; he just couldn't win games and was not prepared to coach a FBS team (not my words, Stull's).

Saying on live radio that you don't need mercurial fans is not necessarily the smartest thing to say because the truth is you need those fans can help pay bills but then again, he has been in the six figure salary bracket for a while and back in the NFL so whom am I to say what he says is stupid or not.

His damage was to the program that he left burning and the irony was that is what he accused his predecessor of exactly doing.

Reactions: UTEPMiners8106
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT