ADVERTISEMENT

Aaron Jones

Next man up. That sucks for Jones, but running back is the one of the few posistions on the field im not worried about. Travon Hughes is every bit the player Jones is and now that he will be getting more carries he will become a star. Lafussa is a good short yardage back. Hopefully this will be the impetus for opening up the offense.

On a play that made no sense at that point of the game. Basketball anyone? Kugler can preach next man up all he wants, but there is no other Jones, and his offensive philosophy and coordinator suck. Point being, that even with Jones, this offense is a nightmare. It will beat some teams, but it causes more problems against the teams that can score and move. Saw it last year. This offense is not built to play catch-up. Not with Leftwich, Metz or Simpson. Repeat of the David Lee era in the making. Maybe I'm pissed and frustrated at the moment, but just calling it like I see it.

I think there is good depth at the RB position and I hope Jones heals up. But like we've all said, they have to open the offense up and take some pressure off these backs.

Reactions: Tribalwarriorx
I feel bad for Jones. He's the pride of UTEP football and El Paso.

However, this is not how I wanted Kugler to get off the hook for his out-n-out hard headedness and refusal to implement a passing game to supplement the run. This kind of gets him off the hook, but hey, God has his own ways and means.

I dont think this gets him off the hook at all. If we lose to NMSU it wont be because Jones isnt playing. Everybody knew jones would miss games this season. Thats been the knock against him at UTEP. Thats why the NFL scouts ranked him the 51st best back in the junior class. Our running backs are more than capable of getting the job done. If we lose to NMSU or many CUSA games its on Kugler we have the talent to win. A loss Saturday would be inexcusable.

If im aaron jones id get the medical red shirt and transfer. To a bigger school.

I dont think this gets him off the hook at all. If we lose to NMSU it wont be because Jones isnt playing. Everybody knew jones would miss games this season. Thats been the knock against him at UTEP. Thats why the NFL scouts ranked him the 51st best back in the junior class. Our running backs are more than capable of getting the job done. If we lose to NMSU or many CUSA games its on Kugler we have the talent to win. A loss Saturday would be inexcusable.

You just answered my concern with more evidence. You're right, they have Jones low on the NFL ranks because he is injury prone. Even more reason that Kugler should have moved sooner rather than later.

That's a big loss, hoping for a speedy recovery. Basketball and football have had their fair share of bad luck lately.

Their plan for Jones is to run him like he's Hershel Walker or Ron Dayne, or even someone with that type of size. He's not. Slamming him into the middle of the line on first down, second down, then doing a check down to him on third was going to be problematic. Jones is a very good RB, but he's not a guy who's going to carry it via run or pass 35-40 times a game and hold up for the entire season.

I'm more worried about the defense right now. Kugler's offensive philosophy makes much more sense if the defense can hold.

Reactions: develman
Next man up. That sucks for Jones, but running back is the one of the few posistions on the field im not worried about. Travon Hughes is every bit the player Jones is and now that he will be getting more carries he will become a star. Lafussa is a good short yardage back. Hopefully this will be the impetus for opening up the offense.

Isn't Lafussa listed as the "next man up" on the depth chart? Nice...a short yardage back as our primary running back. I guess it makes sense seeing that we will only get short yardage all game anyway....

Isn't Lafussa listed as the "next man up" on the depth chart? Nice...a short yardage back as our primary running back. I guess it makes sense seeing that we will only get short yardage all game anyway....
There is no primary back anymore this year.

Where's David Hamm? He looked fairly good in a small sample size last year. I assume he's redshirting. If so, any thought to pulling it? I doubt it if they're moving Dowell from safety.

Where's David Hamm? He looked fairly good in a small sample size last year. I assume he's redshirting. If so, any thought to pulling it? I doubt it if they're moving Dowell from safety.
I believe Hamm was dismissed from the team. Wishing Jones a speedy recovery.

I haven't said much lately, but I'm tired of this offense, we should switch to the single wing. I know one thing and that's when it's third and 6, you throw it 7 yards.

Reactions: UTEPDefense
I believe Hamm was dismissed from the team. Wishing Jones a speedy recovery.
Yes, Hamm was dismissed from the team and enrolled at McNeese St, a member of the Southland Conference with schools like SHSU and IW. McNeese beat IW 43-6 last Saturday and Hamm rushed 8 times for 61 yards and 1 TD.

Reactions: UTEPDefense

Probably the one position UTEP couldn't afford to lose with Miners philosophy being run, run, run. AJ is the real deal and now with him out the season looks bleak. Plus DC needs to stop blitzing so much and leaving DB's on an island. Protect your DB's don't expose them

Probably the one position UTEP couldn't afford to lose with Miners philosophy being run, run, run. AJ is the real deal and now with him out the season looks bleak. Plus DC needs to stop blitzing so much and leaving DB's on an island. Protect your DB's don't expose them
Seems like the DC is as hard headed as Kugler. He wants to attack, disrupt with blitzes even if he doesn't have a secondary that can constantly cover 1 on 1. Similar to the 2013 season. We need our experienced DB's to get healthy and then maybe the scheme will work. Hopefully that is this week.

You make a good point if the defense doesnt get better, we could have Leonard Fournette at running back and we would still get killed. For all the talk about the offense the defense has been historically bad. Going forward there are six teams we will be able to maul up front. At the end of the season our rushing yards will be equal to last year we have a good stable of backs. Hopefully this will force the offense to open up, and be more dynamic. This season is going to hinge on the defense. We will find out alot this week a loss would be apocalyptic.

One thing we'll know for sure this weekend.

1. What the modified game plan will look like going forward.
2. If UTEP actually has a passing game. I guessing we can expect more passes to the TE.
3. How much longer the Left at QB experience continues. There was a blurb I read somewhere where coaches weren't happy with his reads or his continual check downs.
4. How this team recovers from Tech. In reality, no one really cares about Arkansas, but Tech was and is a different animal. That was flat out embarrassing.

Reactions: El Paso Chihuahuas

4. How this team recovers from Tech. In reality, no one really cares about Arkansas, but Tech was and is a different animal. That was flat out embarrassing.

You ALWAYS care when your team doesn't compete, particularly on the national stage. Arkansas folded it up after 2.5 quarters, could have named the score. Tech just ran their offense, only with backups. Monumental beatdowns in both games against middle of the pack teams. This team - and staff - has a LOT more questions than answers at this point...

You ALWAYS care when your team doesn't compete, particularly on the national stage. Arkansas folded it up after 2.5 quarters, could have named the score. Tech just ran their offense, only with backups. Monumental beatdowns in both games against middle of the pack teams. This team - and staff - has a LOT more questions than answers at this point...

No one cared about Arkansas. Sure everyone wanted UTEP to compete, but given the show of hands that week, I can't remember one post where someone thought UTEP would actually beat Ark. The word that week was getting out of there with no injuries. Tech, on the other hand was completely different. There WAS an expectation that 'Tep would beat Tech. Toss in the fact that at some point 'Tep just laid down and rolled over against the The Red Raiders, made it that much more embarrassing. Kugler and his staff do have a lot of questions to answer. We'll find out how they answer those questions tonight.

1. What the modified game plan will look like going forward.
2. If UTEP actually has a passing game. I guessing we can expect more passes to the TE.
3. How much longer the Left at QB experience continues. There was a blurb I read somewhere where coaches weren't happy with his reads or his continual check downs.
It's showtime for Higgins tonight. This is week 3 and we are playing against a very bad defense that allowed Georgia State to put up big numbers passing last week. This offseason we have heard how the passing game is going to be better than last year. Tonight we should see all this "hard work" that was put into the passing game. If its the same old predictable run oriented offense tonight with the same pathetic passing game, Higgins needs to be demoted or fired tomorrow.

As cautious an approach Kuglar uses on the passing game, I don't see him airing it out if the weather stays wet and the run is successful, as it should be tonight. Hope I'm wrong.

He is going to have to pass tonight regardless of weather. NMSU is going to stack the sh%$ our the box tonight against the run and make us beat them by passing. None of our RB's can take over the game like Jones can, and NMSU knows that. Like I said, it is showtime for Higgins tonight..its time for him to perform. If not then he needs to go. If his offense sucks tonight, Stull will probably sign Higgins to a contract extension.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT