ADVERTISEMENT

After the shock.... pros and cons for Dimel

MinerInWisconsin

MI Miner Maniac
Nov 28, 2001
I still am not happy about this hire because like most of you, I wanted a Keeler or Houston or Gilbert as the next coach. Someone that would bring in that high octane offense we want at UTEP. But after all of our histrionics about this hire, we have who we have. Dimel is our coach and even though I said I would not watch the Miners (last night) I will watch and listen to his presser today and since I am a long suffering Miner fan, like most of you, I will follow the Miners next season, hoping for the best. Attendance will not rise because of this hire but winning, if that's the outcome, will bring the fans back.

Con - most of us perceive his offense at K St as boring. Similar to what Kugler had and we sure didn't like that. Also, he has an overall losing record as a head coach. Not inspiring at all.

Pro - He had success as a HC at Wyoming, another hard place to recruit to. He has been involved in a lot of success at K St as an OC and is considered a good recruiter. The following is from an article linked in another thread and he sounds much more like an OC of balance and not just the run game. We will find out next season.

"Dimel will always strive for balance.

“No one is going to sit there and let K-State run the football on them,” Dimel said. “I’m not being conceited, but if you ask who is the best run-scheming offense in the country we would be top five with anyone. So they are going to come up with all kinds of extravagant schemes to stop our run game. They aren’t going to sit back and say, ‘OK, run the ball, K-State.’

“We would rip them apart, because we have got so many quarterback angles and ways that we attack people. So if you don’t have speed at receiver, they are going to take away the run. They are going to make our receivers beat them one on one. That is what they did to us last year.”

Reactions: Tucson_Miner
Its been 20 years since he was a successful head coach. He won 8 games in 3 years at Houston, which is a lot easier to recruit to. He might turn out to be a good coach, but almost everyone is disappointed right now.

Good post. I agree. Let's hope for the best. Sure would like to see some winning around here. Not that it really matters in our day to day life. But we are fans/alumni and want the best outcomes for our school. This doesn't feel like one of those. As I slept on it. It doesn't sting as bad anymore. I remember when Kstate had that big qb. He was impressive. Can UTEP snag a solid qb for next season? Will they run some option?

Im cautiously optimistic, at this point nothing left but to give the new guy a chance. More telling on the future offensive style will be his asst. coaching hires.

I still am not happy about this hire because like most of you, I wanted a Keeler or Houston or Gilbert as the next coach. Someone that would bring in that high octane offense we want at UTEP. But after all of our histrionics about this hire, we have who we have. Dimel is our coach and even though I said I would not watch the Miners (last night) I will watch and listen to his presser today and since I am a long suffering Miner fan, like most of you, I will follow the Miners next season, hoping for the best. Attendance will not rise because of this hire but winning, if that's the outcome, will bring the fans back.

Con - most of us perceive his offense at K St as boring. Similar to what Kugler had and we sure didn't like that. Also, he has an overall losing record as a head coach. Not inspiring at all.

Pro - He had success as a HC at Wyoming, another hard place to recruit to. He has been involved in a lot of success at K St as an OC and is considered a good recruiter. The following is from an article linked in another thread and he sounds much more like an OC of balance and not just the run game. We will find out next season.

"Dimel will always strive for balance.

“No one is going to sit there and let K-State run the football on them,” Dimel said. “I’m not being conceited, but if you ask who is the best run-scheming offense in the country we would be top five with anyone. So they are going to come up with all kinds of extravagant schemes to stop our run game. They aren’t going to sit back and say, ‘OK, run the ball, K-State.’

“We would rip them apart, because we have got so many quarterback angles and ways that we attack people. So if you don’t have speed at receiver, they are going to take away the run. They are going to make our receivers beat them one on one. That is what they did to us last year.”

MR.com stated he has good juco recruiting ties in Texas. JUCO places where UTEP had no chance of landing a recruit. Ok?! So he has Blinn CC ties (Blinn is a TAMU feeder school) that has great talent. I'm sure he has some Coffeyville JC in Kansas as well. Kug did land Tanner Stallings from there but will UTEP get much more? Those Big XII schools will roast UTEP like they did when Price tried recruiting Big XII towns. Kug was no threat at all to them.

I would say another con is that programs he has coached regressed during his first season. He took over a Wyoming team that finished 10-2 the previous season and led them to a 7-6 record. He took over a UH team that had finished 7-4 and led them to a 3-8 record.

I assume this will be the first time in his HC career that a team will show improvements in the w/l column after taking over.

I would say another con is that programs he has coached regressed during his first season. He took over a Wyoming team that finished 10-2 the previous season and led them to a 7-6 record. He took over a UH team that had finished 7-4 and led them to a 3-8 record.

I assume this will be the first time in his HC career that a team will show improvements in the w/l column after taking over.

Yup. And for that he will get a contract extension.

Gawd damn Stull! His hand is all over this! I want to punch the guy!

Reactions: jdubb66
(coming from a guy that has watched him for 15+ years)

Pros:
He will strive for balance to keep defense on their toes (more on this in cons).
He won't be coaching his son so he won't call too many plays for him inside the 10 yard-line (real sore spot for our fans and the team itself)
He DOES have HC experience...mixed results of course
He does have some connections at Jucos and in TX (I wouldn't overstate this though)
He's been around a lot of good coaches over his lifetime (Snyder's tree alone, but not limited to that either).
He isn't going to take your run-based roster and expect them to throw the ball 50 times a game so the transition may not be as rough as it could have been
The QB run game is a pro and con, but it does afford you another blocker if you don't overdo it (more in cons). In theory it is an equalizer though.
He's fairly well connected in coaching circles and can probably assemble a group with good football IQ (but may not win the press conference either)

Cons:
He is older and certainly not the sexy hire.
He was involved in recruiting but I can't say he's been lauded for those efforts.
He became extremely predictable at KSU. Sometimes it worked and he was just "setting up" the long-play (play action etc.), but sometimes it felt like he was just being stubborn. One thing I'll say is I think he was using Bill Snyder's playbook so maybe his personal one is a little different. One thing for sure: If you see him go 5 wideouts but doing QB draws it is the Snyder playbook.
He had a tendency to go with shotgun, slow-developing run plays on 3rd and 4th and short and we'd get tackled in the backfield...drove us especially crazy this year.
This is both pro and con, but he seems to be more about martial arts blocking vs. drive blocking. Its all redirection and sometimes that just doesn't work well if you're up against superb athletes.
The QB run game has pretty much meant that we haven't had a QB finish a season remotely healthy in a decade. We sometimes run the most in the biggest games with the QB and giving them 20-30 carries...not joking.
The play calling wasn't ever very consistent. It often seemed a guy would run the ball 3 times for 30 yards, then not get his name called again that game or even the next. It was puzzling.
If he uses the same playbook as KSU, he RARELY throws over the middle, preferring extremely long-developing routes. When you get the protection required, it is great but we generally don't handle blitzes all that well because we tend to keep extra blockers in and we don't have dump off routes.

MR.com stated he has good juco recruiting ties in Texas. JUCO places where UTEP had no chance of landing a recruit. Ok?! So he has Blinn CC ties (Blinn is a TAMU feeder school) that has great talent. I'm sure he has some Coffeyville JC in Kansas as well. Kug did land Tanner Stallings from there but will UTEP get much more? Those Big XII schools will roast UTEP like they did when Price tried recruiting Big XII towns. Kug was no threat at all to them.
Here's the deal on KS Jucos. The SEC (and others now) plant tons of over-signed kids there. Example: Tennessee signs 30 kids under Butch Jones and sticks all the non-qualifiers at their placement school. This is one of the reasons Snyder isn't dominating like he used to. # 1, KSU can't get those kids anymore because they are essentially spoken for (provided they even make it out in terms of grades). #2, it eats up a roster spot (KS JC's only allow so many out of state kids).

I would argue that there are plenty of 2nd level kids (don't take that the wrong way) that would seriously consider UTEP out of those JC's, but maybe I'm wrong.

(coming from a guy that has watched him for 15+ years)

Pros:
He will strive for balance to keep defense on their toes (more on this in cons).
He won't be coaching his son so he won't call too many plays for him inside the 10 yard-line (real sore spot for our fans and the team itself)
He DOES have HC experience...mixed results of course
He does have some connections at Jucos and in TX (I wouldn't overstate this though)
He's been around a lot of good coaches over his lifetime (Snyder's tree alone, but not limited to that either).
He isn't going to take your run-based roster and expect them to throw the ball 50 times a game so the transition may not be as rough as it could have been
The QB run game is a pro and con, but it does afford you another blocker if you don't overdo it (more in cons). In theory it is an equalizer though.
He's fairly well connected in coaching circles and can probably assemble a group with good football IQ (but may not win the press conference either)

Cons:
He is older and certainly not the sexy hire.
He was involved in recruiting but I can't say he's been lauded for those efforts.
He became extremely predictable at KSU. Sometimes it worked and he was just "setting up" the long-play (play action etc.), but sometimes it felt like he was just being stubborn. One thing I'll say is I think he was using Bill Snyder's playbook so maybe his personal one is a little different. One thing for sure: If you see him go 5 wideouts but doing QB draws it is the Snyder playbook.
He had a tendency to go with shotgun, slow-developing run plays on 3rd and 4th and short and we'd get tackled in the backfield...drove us especially crazy this year.
This is both pro and con, but he seems to be more about martial arts blocking vs. drive blocking. Its all redirection and sometimes that just doesn't work well if you're up against superb athletes.
The QB run game has pretty much meant that we haven't had a QB finish a season remotely healthy in a decade. We sometimes run the most in the biggest games with the QB and giving them 20-30 carries...not joking.
The play calling wasn't ever very consistent. It often seemed a guy would run the ball 3 times for 30 yards, then not get his name called again that game or even the next. It was puzzling.
If he uses the same playbook as KSU, he RARELY throws over the middle, preferring extremely long-developing routes. When you get the protection required, it is great but we generally don't handle blitzes all that well because we tend to keep extra blockers in and we don't have dump off routes.

Older!? Shit, he’s a spring chicken compared to Snyder.

Reactions: waggcat
Here's the deal on KS Jucos. The SEC (and others now) plant tons of over-signed kids there. Example: Tennessee signs 30 kids under Butch Jones and sticks all the non-qualifiers at their placement school. This is one of the reasons Snyder isn't dominating like he used to. # 1, KSU can't get those kids anymore because they are essentially spoken for (provided they even make it out in terms of grades). #2, it eats up a roster spot (KS JC's only allow so many out of state kids).

I would argue that there are plenty of 2nd level kids (don't take that the wrong way) that would seriously consider UTEP out of those JC's, but maybe I'm wrong.

If he can quickly pull even second-level JUCOs to UTEP, that’d be a great start.

Should be easy to show improvement when we didn’t win a single game last season. Not super happy with the hire.

In Kansas the Jayhawk Conference changed the rule and schools can take all out of state kids if they want. It's a big reason schools like Independence are now nationally ranked. He does at least have tie in the conference so hopefully he can get some players. I also hope he gets back to Houston and North Texas this summer with camps. I truly hope this is a good hire and do wish him luck. I also hope he welcomes back the alumni to the program and builds the program back with the alumni players involved.

In Kansas the Jayhawk Conference changed the rule and schools can take all out of state kids if they want. It's a big reason schools like Independence are now nationally ranked. He does at least have tie in the conference so hopefully he can get some players. I also hope he gets back to Houston and North Texas this summer with camps. I truly hope this is a good hire and do wish him luck. I also hope he welcomes back the alumni to the program and builds the program back with the alumni players involved.
Correct, but they literally just changed this last fall so this hasn't quite impacted things...yet.....but it will. That conference (the Jayhawk conference) is littered with guys that have offers from schools in your conference or the MWC. I think it Dimel can exploit his contacts to get that 2nd level of JC player, it'll help a ton. KSU did hit the TX jucos a lot harder many years ago, but we still occasionally pull kids from there. We hit the CA jucos more than people think, but I'm not sure on Dimel's personal ties out there. Seems we mostly had other coaches cover the region.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT