ADVERTISEMENT

After watching leftwich HS video, I think UTEP will be just fine

utep2step

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 10, 2001
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1069962/highlights/37603374/v2

I think fans are being too harsh. He was Pennsylvania 4A player of the year. The ball doesn't have the zip like Shower's passes did, but damn his throws in high school were soft and put right in the receivers bread basket. He runs sweeps very well and hits gaps and takes hits that remind me of that pesky Rice qb Chase Clement that drove UTEP defense nuts because he was small and hard to bring down.

I think were giving this "his dad is on the staff" reasoning to much pub and not discernment.

Well, you are watching a "highlight" video.

I'm sure the kid can throw the ball, but it's a much higher standard at this level. He needs to be able to make the correct reads and accurate passes every down. That's what makes a kid a legit d1 qb.

I'm no coach and I wasn't at the camps to watch these kids duke it out. The only thing I do know is the kid appeared to be the least statistically effective QB during drills. I know kug is a stand up guy, but to think that Mack's father being a coach didn't influence his recruitment or chances of being the starter is a bit naive...

What was in be in one scrimmage 4-18 or something like that? That's against Uteps defense not Arkansas !! That's not very comforting! I hope he proves me wrong

Reactions: El Paso Chihuahuas
Its hard to judge. Remember when everyone wanted Waters to take the bench.
Look at him now. He is about to make the cowboys team. I am sure Coach Kug
knows what he is doing. One of the problems is that our offense is not
there yet. The Offense will need one or two more years.

GO Miners...

http://www.elpasotimes.com/sports/ci_24520191/el-paso-times

I remember reading this article a couple of years ago...might shed some light on Kugler's decision. I don't know how many D1 offers Simpson/Johnson/Metz had, but regardless they are all here and hope they all do well. As for Leftwich, he seems to be a kid with a lot of character and work ethic...we'll see how that translates on the field. Go Miners!

Give him a few games because it won't be fair to judge him against a top 25 sec team, that's just unrealistic

You're doing a pre-fab excuse for him. You judge a QB for the games they play in. Who they're playing is actually irrelevant. If a QB manages his offense and doesn't create turnovers (via ints) - that's what you evaluate them on. You don't evaluate him for the OL blocking, RBs hitting the right hole or WRs dropping in the chest passes. I'm sure the staff has a game plan in place that they feel confident in and Left should be confident in it. The plan should work well with his strengths and the strength of the team itself. If he goes out and lays an egg with multiple ints, fumbled snaps, poor reads, it's not because it's "Arkansas," it's because he played a horrible game.

At the end of the day, these are football players. The only difference is the logo on the helmet.

You're doing a pre-fab excuse for him. You judge a QB for the games they play in. Who they're playing is actually irrelevant. If a QB manages his offense and doesn't create turnovers (via ints) - that's what you evaluate them on. You don't evaluate him for the OL blocking, RBs hitting the right hole or WRs dropping in the chest passes. I'm sure the staff has a game plan in place that they feel confident in and Left should be confident in it. The plan should work well with his strengths and the strength of the team itself. If he goes out and lays an egg with multiple ints, fumbled snaps, poor reads, it's not because it's "Arkansas," it's because he played a horrible game.

At the end of the day, these are football players. The only difference is the logo on the helmet.

Wait, are you including NMSU in that bunch?

I just watched Obama's highlight video. I think some of you owe him an apology.

It's all on Golden and where they line him up from what I hear from Kugler in the news and read online. The two JUCO's Kugler brought in appear to be not as good as billed during their recruitment (one is nursing a foot). White is expected to have a solid year. Hogs coach is focused on Golden according to his press conference.

I just watched Obama's highlight video. I think some of you owe him an apology.

CN57ks7WIAE6GDe.png

"If I can get an Iran deal, UTEP can beat Arkansas"

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT