ADVERTISEMENT

Aggies now conference mates!

Are Miner fans happy Aggies are in the same Conference?

• Yes

Votes: 19 70.4%
  • No

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Not sure yet

Votes: 4 14.8%

• Total voters

nattybry

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 7, 2003
So are we excited that NMSU is now our conference mates and can look forward to the basketball rivalry getting even more intense or we still feel like we're better than the Aggies and don't want them in our conference?

Excited! NMSU and UTEP should always have a close, healthy rivalry. It’s going to be a good thing for both schools and I would think that the majority of fans from each institution will welcome these matchups. Geographically and culturally it makes perfect sense. I love seeing UTEP beat NMSU as much as anyone, but I really believe this will benefit both schools.

Geographically it makes sense. Both schools can now become travel partners. It should help both with the travel costs. Scheduling wise, it'll free up a non-conference spot in football and two in basketball. As someone posted in another thread, I'd like to see UTEP and NMSU be the last game of the football schedule. For basketball, both teams will now play each other around February and March, when both teams will be more well oiled. Should make for more a more exciting basketball rivalry.

As an alum for both schools, it's a dream come true. Folks covered the reasons above, but I think we are stronger together. If we can both somehow get football going consistently and pack some stadiums, it will make both schools look like an attractive MWC option.

Sports writers already talk about how the Battle for I-10 is one of the best rivalries you never knew about, and perhaps now that the games will have more meaning, it'll give us a better national spotlight.

Imagine late November in football, or late February in hoops. Both teams vying for a bowl spot or top seeding in the conference tournament. Those games are really going to mean something.

Ehh. We already play them every year. I hope it gives us better out of conference opportunities in basketball.

I'm still hoping for the MWC in the next round of changes, but like we always say we have to win.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Not sure yet.

Because it'll suck even more if NMSU comes into our conference, competes more than utep does, and then gets invited into a better conference. Theoretically, utep should have higher expectations sharing a conference with nmsu. But it's utep.

I was excited initially.
Nmsus basketball program was in good shape and it looks like their football program is turning around with a good coach. Then their basketball program died and Joe Golding has been very meh for us (let's be fair, we are a basketball first rivalry).

I'm Looking forward to the ESPN game vs NMSU at the Sun Bowl and I'm pretty sure the Basketball matchups will be on ESPN. Country will finally get to see how great of a rivalry this is.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT