ADVERTISEMENT

Alex Fernandes Transfer

Don't blame him and I hope he can earn some playing time there. I'm surprised that Brownholtz hasn't transferred out yet. Torrez may want to stay at home town UTEP for the long haul but it looks like some injuries would have to happen for him to see the playing field.

Don't blame him and I hope he can earn some playing time there. I'm surprised that Brownholtz hasn't transferred out yet. Torrez may want to stay at home town UTEP for the long haul but it looks like some injuries would have to happen for him to see the playing field.
I did not know this about Brownholtz?

" ....father, Scott, was a two-year letterwinner at the University of Georgia at the center position … uncle, Billy Volek, played in the NFL for nine seasons (five with the San Diego Chargers and four with the Tennessee Titans) … trained with former UTEP quarterback Jordan Palmer … born in Sacramento, Calif. … business major."

Ok, it's in his blood and training. KL has the accuracy of Mr. Magoo at times. Can Brownholtz not run at all (does he have the legs) in this RPO offense?

Reactions: MinerInWisconsin
I always get Fernandez and Torrez mixed up. Which of the two was apparently the best qb on our roster according to @Minerforlife?

I always get Fernandez and Torrez mixed up. Which of the two was apparently the best qb on our roster according to @Minerforlife?

I thought Fernandes was hands down the best passing qb on the roster. His mechanics, footwork and arm strength was the best. After watching last year it was apparent he wouldn't fit in the run heavy Dimel offense.

Reactions: JCorona
I did not know this about Brownholtz?

" ....father, Scott, was a two-year letterwinner at the University of Georgia at the center position … uncle, Billy Volek, played in the NFL for nine seasons (five with the San Diego Chargers and four with the Tennessee Titans) … trained with former UTEP quarterback Jordan Palmer … born in Sacramento, Calif. … business major."

Ok, it's in his blood and training. KL has the accuracy of Mr. Magoo at times. Can Brownholtz not run at all (does he have the legs) in this RPO offense?
RPO offense? What the hell? jk

His HS senior hudl highlights show that he can run well enough although he will never be mistaken for a gazelle. He sure seems to have good footwork and escapability, can make all the throws.

http://www.hudl.com/profile/3111100/Calvin-Brownholtz

The QB purge Bigwood rightly pointed out at UTEP is more than a festering sore left by Sean Kugler. The off-season flush can be felt nation-wide.

Fresh talent -- at all positions -- will arrive with each new recruiting class. This is a real must for a program that has won once in two seasons.

History lesson: Going into Camp Ruidoso last season, remember, UTEP had seven QBs. Of those, we know Ryan Metz has graduated and a couple other throw-ins have cut out. Let's see how many QBs remain through spring ball.

Addition by subtraction.

Last edited:
Reactions: UTEPDefense
The QB purge Bigwood rightly pointed out at UTEP is more than a festering sore left by Sean Kugler. The off-season flush can be felt nation-wide.

Fresh talent -- at all positions -- will arrive with each new recruiting class. This is a real must for a program that has won once in two seasons.

History lesson: Going into Camp Ruidoso last season, remember, UTEP had seven QBs. Of those, let's see how many remain through spring ball.

Addition by subtraction.

If he brings Paul Johnson in during the Spring to teach the coaches how to install the option I will understand the direction of the offense. Right now it's hard to see the direction the offense is trying to go. The QBs on the roster cant consistently hit five yard outs. I like Goodwin I think he can be very good. However, it's hard to pin your hope's on a true freshman.

Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05
If he brings Paul Johnson in during the Spring to teach the coaches how to install the option I will understand the direction of the offense. Right now it's hard to see the direction the offense is trying to go. The QBs on the roster cant consistently hit five yard outs. I like Goodwin I think he can be very good. However, it's hard to pin your hope's on a true freshman.
I get it bro. You aren't a fan of Dimel. At the same time, you aren't Nick Saban either.

Did you write "Paul Johnson"? Did you mention the option?

You know, don't you, that for UTEP to regain anything close to former status -- and maintain it -- the Miners need to go to a "boring" triple option attack. For boring see Army-West Point, Georgia Tech, Navy and others using this approach to punch above their fighting weight.

Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05
I'm fully convinced, only way UTEP wins in this day in age is either an air raid, or a triple option.

Gimme the air raid, but these line up with a TE offense is not working, we line up trips with a TE in the slot who runs a lazy drag or five yard out, I agree with Minerforlife hard to tell what direction this Dimel offense is heading.

"I'm fully convinced, only way UTEP wins in this day in age is either an air raid, or a triple option."

I line up with Bigwood. And I've already written that I think the triple option ground attack is the way to go: control clock, save your defense, create mayhem and compete favorably, all with 2- and 3-star athletes.

Alex Fernandes' name came up today. I'd forgotten all about him. Turns out A&M didn't really work out for him either and now he's out of football.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT