ADVERTISEMENT

All CUSA Pre Season Team

I can’t fault the rankings as of right now. The Miners are an unknown right now. They ranked Dimmel as the 2nd worst coach in the conference which I don’t agree with just because of the changes he’s made in a couple of months.

To my everlasting chagrin, the 2017 polls picking us last were dead on. So were my Miners ... dead on arrival.
The good thing is that in CUSA changes can occur very quickly. Two years ago UNT was fresh off a 1-11 season. FAU off a 3-9 season. Last season they played in the CUSA championship game and combined for 20 wins. On the flip side two years ago this same publication was filled with WKU players. #1 in CUSA fresh off a CUSA championship team. A coaching change later and now they are tied for last place. The WKU fan base doesn’t expect more than 3-4 wins this coming up season.

The good thing is that in CUSA changes can occur very quickly. Two years ago UNT was fresh off a 1-11 season. FAU off a 3-9 season. Last season they played in the CUSA championship game and combined for 20 wins. On the flip side two years ago this same publication was filled with WKU players. #1 in CUSA fresh off a CUSA championship team. A coaching change later and now they are tied for last place. The WKU fan base doesn’t expect more than 3-4 wins this coming up season.
WKU is in total rebuild mold. Brohm was a great coach who booked if for Purdue (and just got another nice pay raise) and now they lost their great qb, White. UAB is never, ever no matter the circumstances, a gimmee for UTEP as is Rice. NMSU has Rogers and Rose III coming back. Rose will rack up numbers at the SB. Upside, their defense struggled last year even against a vanilla, one dimensional UTEP team until the TO bug bit UTEP bad. MTSU. Last time they were here it was one of the most exciting games in the last five years because UTEP became bowl eligible. MTSU is always good. La Tech....they own us in football. This is a rivalry Dimel has to change the psychology going into. UNT....exact opposite. We still own UNT and I expect to Dimel to go back to what UTEP does to UNT; come away with a win. Golden Fried Eagles has to be one of the dirtiest, slobber knocking, unheralded CUSA rivalries (football and basketball). No matter the score, these two teams lay the wood on each other. I know El Pasoan's will not forget the out of bounds cheap shot they put on Jones last time they were here. I think Kug really popped a vein in that one.

NMSU has Rogers and Rose III coming back. Rose will rack up numbers at the SB.

All of that extra practice that Larry Rose is currently getting at the Tennessee Titans mini camp and the pro experience that Tyler Rogers is currently gaining in the Canadian Football League is really going to help them when they come to play us in the Sun Bowl next year.

Reactions: Rot and JCorona
WKU is in total rebuild mold. Brohm was a great coach who booked if for Purdue (and just got another nice pay raise) and now they lost their great qb, White. UAB is never, ever no matter the circumstances, a gimmee for UTEP as is Rice. NMSU has Rogers and Rose III coming back. Rose will rack up numbers at the SB. Upside, their defense struggled last year even against a vanilla, one dimensional UTEP team until the TO bug bit UTEP bad. MTSU. Last time they were here it was one of the most exciting games in the last five years because UTEP became bowl eligible. MTSU is always good. La Tech....they own us in football. This is a rivalry Dimel has to change the psychology going into. UNT....exact opposite. We still own UNT and I expect to Dimel to go back to what UTEP does to UNT; come away with a win. Golden Fried Eagles has to be one of the dirtiest, slobber knocking, unheralded CUSA rivalries (football and basketball). No matter the score, these two teams lay the wood on each other. I know El Pasoan's will not forget the out of bounds cheap shot they put on Jones last time they were here. I think Kug really popped a vein in that one.

sounds like a solid 6 win season and maybe more ... UTEP matters

I would be hard pressed to think that UTEP finishes last in the conference. I think they brought in some good pieces and upgraded the QB position along with the transfers on Defense should get this team a couple of wins. I’m not ready to jump on the six win hype train but I think 3 - 4 sounds reasonable based on blind faith.

Reactions: UTEPDefense
I would be hard pressed to think that UTEP finishes last in the conference. I think they brought in some good pieces and upgraded the QB position along with the transfers on Defense should get this team a couple of wins. I’m not ready to jump on the six win hype train but I think 3 - 4 sounds reasonable based on blind faith.

c'mon man you can feel 6 wins ... show your UTEP pride ...

What makes you say that? No sane UTEP fan predicts that.

Any post that is one sentence, plus has UTEP matters or From Hollywood at the end should not be questioned. Hollywood Miner always predicts great results. After these last 8 years, he has no reason to change his “bold” predictions.

Reactions: El Paso 1
c'mon man you can feel 6 wins ... show your UTEP pride ...

If you think six wins is doable, more power to you. 0 wins to 6 is a massive turnaround but I don’t know if UTEP has that type of talent on the roster, or if it’s a year away.

If you follow any players on twitter they sound confident which I think is a good thing. But UNLV And Tennessee will tell us everything we need to know about this team. If they can steal that game in Las Vegas and they can keep the Tennessee game close and get out of there without any major injuries then we may be on to something.

If you think six wins is doable, more power to you. 0 wins to 6 is a massive turnaround but I don’t know if UTEP has that type of talent on the roster, or if it’s a year away.

If you follow any players on twitter they sound confident which I think is a good thing. But UNLV And Tennessee will tell us everything we need to know about this team. If they can steal that game in Las Vegas and they can keep the Tennessee game close and get out of there without any major injuries then we may be on to something.
I think the NMSU and UNLV games will tell us everything we need to know. That is assuming we beat NAU. When has a UTEP ever kept it close on the road vs a P5 team? I fully expect to lose by 5+ TDs to Tennessee.

Any post that is one sentence, plus has UTEP matters or From Hollywood at the end should not be questioned. Hollywood Miner always predicts great results. After these last 8 years, he has no reason to change his “bold” predictions.

It's easy to be a cheerleader and never be accountable for your predictions.

Reactions: ShovelMan66
Did you not catch the TROLL part? I may be annoying, but I'm not a troll. :p

And hey dude, I've owned my past mistakes/screen names. I don't deny it. You and your little brother? uh no....

Reactions: Cube Jack
It's even easier to be trolls with numerous screen names and never own it.

Fan are fanatics. We believe in our teams going into a season. Blind faith. Homerism.

I am all for being optimistic, but I think you should have some realistic expectations as well. I only say that because every football/basketball season people are saying “10 wins” “Bowl Win” “NCAA Tournament” and a lot of that is fueled by blind faith and homerism. And then by the third week of the season people are ready to commit suicide because their expectations were so high. When in reality we should have been real and admitted that there is work that needs to be done.

I want this team to prove everyone wrong, but this team has a lot of question marks. And we will find out soon enough if the problems UTEP had were schematic or if they were due to a severe lack of talent. If UTEP does get 3-4 wins and looks competitive I will be very excited because that is a step in the right direction and if they can keep the momentum going then we will be winning bowl games soon enough.

Did you not catch the TROLL part? I may be annoying, but I'm not a troll. :p

And hey dude, I've owned my past mistakes/screen names. I don't deny it. You and your little brother? uh no....

I’m only a “troll” because my opinion is different than most and can objectively talk about the Miners. Do you kick people out of your bar for wearing NMSU gear? Would kick them out for making fun of UTEP? I bet you don’t.

No , bruh, you're a troll because you aren't really a UTEP fan. That's cool you're an aggie, but no reason to come here several times a day to remind us of what/who you are. Be honest and own it....THAT was my point. You horribly fail at your BS that you are a Miner fan that's a realist. I'M a realist. I get it we've sucked like forever. I KNOW our problems....but I STILL bleed orange. You and your mini you just wanna argue to raise post count for whatever reason. You both come here to debate and try to get under skin. I get you....don't know why you continue when we ALL know you're an ass, but whatevs.....Stupid...

Reactions: miner661
No , bruh, you're a troll because you aren't really a UTEP fan. That's cool you're an aggie, but no reason to come here several times a day to remind us of what/who you are. Be honest and own it....THAT was my point. You horribly fail at your BS that you are a Miner fan that's a realist. I'M a realist. I get it we've sucked like forever. I KNOW our problems....but I STILL bleed orange. You and your mini you just wanna argue to raise post count for whatever reason. You both come here to debate and try to get under skin. I get you....don't know why you continue when we ALL know you're an ass, but whatevs.....Stupid...

A homer is not a realist.

I am a realist. I know UTEP football and basketball suck right now, but I am optimistic about the future. I am not going to say we are going to win 6 games next year because I realistically don't think it will happen.

Debating is what a message board is all about. If everybody agreed on here it would be VERY boring.

You're welcome to say I am not a fan. That's ok. I know who I root for, I know what college I graduated from, and that's all that matters.

Yeah, I come here to raise my post count. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I think the NMSU and UNLV games will tell us everything we need to know. That is assuming we beat NAU. When has a UTEP ever kept it close on the road vs a P5 team? I fully expect to lose by 5+ TDs to Tennessee.

I agree that that Tennessee game will probably be a blood bath. Especially playing on the road in front of 100,000 plus. And I don’t expect to take anything away from that game either. The 2000 team took an ass whooping at Oklahoma and won their conference. The 2004 team lost big at ASU and had a great season as well. I just want to see them come out of that game with their confidence and health intact. Is that a bad way to look at a game?

If we win three or four games I won’t be happy, but do understand it’s going to take time. I just want to see effort and excitement from the team. I expect to see a offense that can score more tan 12 points a game. I expect to see a field goal kicker that can make more than half of their attempts. I expect to see a defense than can get at least a sack a game and put some pressure on q.b.
If these expectations are accomplished, I will renew my season tickets. If not my seat we be up for sale.

Reactions: UTEPfan1966
If we win three or four games I won’t be happy, but do understand it’s going to take time. I just want to see effort and excitement from the team. I expect to see a offense that can score more tan 12 points a game. I expect to see a field goal kicker that can make more than half of their attempts. I expect to see a defense than can get at least a sack a game and put some pressure on q.b.
If these expectations are accomplished, I will renew my season tickets. If not my seat we be up for sale.

So how many wins this year will make you happy?

One thing I learned by being a UTEP fan is to never expect anything.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT