ADVERTISEMENT

Are there any statues of Confederates on the UTEP campus?

You really can't make up things like this. I thought it was fake when I first saw the headline.

REPORT: ESPN Removes College Football Announcer From Game Because He's Named 'Robert Lee'

http://www.dailywire.com/news/20094/report-espn-removes-college-football-announcer-emily-zanotti
How is this suprising? ESPN has lost over 14 million viewers and counting trying to shove their liberal views down everyones throat. No one want to hear that crap whether it be conservative or liberal when they put on a sports channel. They want to hear sports.

Reactions: sportsfan5000
How is this suprising? ESPN has lost over 14 million viewers and counting trying to shove their liberal views down everyones throat. No one want to hear that crap whether it be conservative or liberal when they put on a sports channel. They want to hear sports.

The hilarious part about this is Robert Lee is Asian.

100% agree! I also don't want to hear political views at concerts as well. Just play the damn music! I also don't want to hear the one-sided jokes on Late Night TV. I loved Jay Leno because he wasn't one-sided and made fun of everybody.

Stephen F Austin owned slaves.
Francisco Vazquez de Coronado killed many natives.
Thomas Jefferson owned slaves and fathered at least one child with one.
Jim Bowie was a slave trader and smuggler.

All have high schools named after them. I'm sure local alumni will be ecstatic to have those schools renamed.

My old jr high (now a middle school) is named for Lawrence Sullivan Ross, a Confederate general. Even the mascot is the Rebels and was pictured in a uniform of the era. No one is offended because no one really knows who he was. There's also a college nearby named for him (in Jeff Davis County!) as well as a statue on campus at Texas A&M.

I don't like this thread. I think it should be taken down. Just thinking about how much more dangerous and racist the world is now, makes me want to protest this thread

I don't like this thread. I think it should be taken down. Just thinking about how much more dangerous and racist the world is now, makes me want to protest this thread

Can't delete your own threads with the new board software -- sorry.

Magoffin Auditorium is named for James Wiley Magoffin. A confederate and father of Joseph Magoffin, also a Confederate.

Their house is a historically preserved state landmark near downtown.

Magoffin Auditorium is named for James Wiley Magoffin. A confederate and father of Joseph Magoffin, also a Confederate.

Their house is a historically preserved state landmark near downtown.
"Something interesting about the cemetery is that it is the final resting place of a number of Confederate military veterans along with veterans from more recent wars:" Confederates buried in El Paso
6372417387_a535f2d0d5.jpg

6372418657_4431991944.jpg

Most El Pasoan's, even the oldest living ones, are not aware that many southerners moved to El Paso after the civil war/reconstruction to start a whole new life and had connections to the south's slave economy. Many years ago I had lunch with a retired military colonel who had one such family. Heard of the "Fall Mansion" near downtown? The politician was part of "Tea Pot Dome" that was part of the biggest corruption scandal in America in early 20th century. He was corrupt as hell and moved to El Paso to escape scrutiny and back lash.

There's actually a statue of Benito being planned right now.
Nothing against the statues but just so you know, Benito Juarez wasn't exactly the hero many people think he was. Some historians say he wanted to sell Baja California to the United States but never happened. And some say Maximilian had better plans and ideas for the country than Juarez but we know what the "supposed outcome" was.

Nothing against the statues but just so you know, Benito Juarez wasn't exactly the hero many people think he was. Some historians say he wanted to sell Baja California to the United States but never happened. And some say Maximilian had better plans and ideas for the country than Juarez but we know what the "supposed outcome" was.
Benito Mussolini was named after him. (Not that there are any real connections between the two beyond that.)

Juarez was very anti-Catholic and set the stage for many Mexican anti-Catholic policies in the years to come. Given how religious much of the population has been, it's amazing just how anti-Catholic the official government has been over the years, from the PRI to the Cristero War. See also The Power and the Glory by Graham Greene.

Last edited:
I remember reading this a while ago and thought it was interesting (maybe you've seen it, too):

https://www.chapala.com/chapala/September2000.html

He was certainly an important man and he forever ended further European imperial adventures in his country. I don't think he's a saint or agree with much of his agenda, but he won a war to secure his country's independence and I see him as a flawed national hero who's worthy of being remembered with a statue.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT