ADVERTISEMENT

Are UTEP Football coaches being Lazy?

FiliUTEP

MI Miner Maniac
Feb 1, 2010
Are they going after players people have heard about? Its not good when UTSA is recruiting better . I could understand they want to go after some players that are under the radar players. But if they want to go another level and beat teams like Texas Tech and Arkansas they going to have to go after some better recruits.

The coaches arent lazy when they recruit kids from nine different states. Football is about finding kids keeping them in school and developing. Kugler has a system so far its worked. To my knowledge all of Kugler's recruits are still on the roster no one has washed out or been kicked off the team which is pretty remarkable.All of Kuglers classes have been ranked last, however so far he has hot on far more than he has missed on.

I think it would be way lazier and easier to recruit a ton of kids from DFW Houston and San Antonio. They would get alot of leftovers and the publications would rank the class higher, but they wouldnt be better fits for Kugler's system.

Do you wanna go back to Coach Price era.
I like what Coach Kug is doing, his philosophy is working. He knows what he is doing.

Go Miners...

Why not recruit Florida?

I like the class but I think they should try and set some pipeline in the state of Florida. Tons of talent comes out of Florida every year, and while yes most go to FSU,Florida, and or Miami, it isn't as picked as Texas and California. Marshall hits Florida hard in recruiting, and they must be doing something right because Marshall has a very good program.

The reason CUSA has FAU and FIU is to have a Florida presence. Overall, I like Kugs nationwide approach and I think the class is as good as any he has had but not recruting Florida while sharing a conference with 2 schools in that state is a mistake.

Someone complained in an earlier thread about not recruiting the Houston area too. I don't know. Kuglar's team went from 2 wins to 7, so his philosophy shows success so far.

I didn't mean to accuse you of complaining Nugget, just pointed out the previous thread.

Originally posted by Minerforlife:

I think it would be way lazier and easier to recruit a ton of kids from DFW Houston and San Antonio. They would get alot of leftovers and the publications would rank the class higher, but they wouldnt be better fits for Kugler's system.
Absolutely correct. Why sould UTEP recruit the Houston, Golden Triangle, San Antonio, Metroplex areas when they could go to Pittsburgh and Buffalo. Makes no sense whatsoever...

I know rankings shouldn't mean anything but they do. If Michigan or Alabama or big schools were ranked last in rankings the coaches would be fired and Fans would be upset. Utep fans should also be upset also. If Kugler wants to recruite the Midwest an eastcoast then that's fine ,a s long has he is getting the best players then go for it. But he isn't even doing that . The only thing that is helping him is that he is winning.

Not to mention that Kugler's team this year had the highest Football GPA in, well, ever. And as someone else mentioned, no one washed out this year. This fact makes me very happy.

Originally posted by LaserCoog:

Absolutely correct. Why sould UTEP recruit the Houston, Golden Triangle, San Antonio, Metroplex areas when they could go to Pittsburgh and Buffalo. Makes no sense whatsoever...
Its one thing if you are going to get the best players out of Texas, its another to get the scraps. The DFW Houston and San Antonio metroplexes are probably the three most recruited areas in the country. Texas is the best state for recruits but the attention and noteriery of the top recruits also artificially inflate the ratings of two and three star recruits. If you look at the measurables and stats of our recruits they measure up with those 2-3 star Texas recruits our rivals recruited. The difference is ours dont get the recognition because they dont play in recruit rich states.

It makes sense to open up pipelines in other areas of the country and develop relationship in areas that arent dominated by other schools. Kugler has a system and it works. He goes all over the country to get what he wants. He's not going to be beholden to state of Texas because Dave Cambell's thinks he should be.

My only issue with the recruiting is the lack of diversity. We seem to be recruiting mostly OL's and DL's. That's not a bad thing, but at some point we'll need a passing attack to compliment the run. When we play the better teams who can just stack the box without fear of being burned in 1 on 1 coverage against our receivers, it's not good.

Either way, i'm a believer in Kug so far. He has greatly exceeded my expectations so i'll just sit back and let him do his thing...

I don't understand, one day after signing day and people are complaining because we're not signing big names (when have we, besides transfers?) and recruiting the big Texas cities. Two recruiting classes and Kuglar's team improved by 5 games! Plus, it usually takes 3-4 years for your entire class to show results on the field. I think Kuglar is doing just fine. With 22 offers, you've got to walk a fine line and cannot afford many misses. Man, I just don't understand the point.

Originally posted by LaserCoog:

I guess improving by 5 wins makes no sense either.

Originally posted by USAFminersfan:
My only issue with the recruiting is the lack of diversity. We seem to be recruiting mostly OL's and DL's. That's not a bad thing, but at some point we'll need a passing attack to compliment the run. When we play the better teams who can just stack the box without fear of being burned in 1 on 1 coverage against our receivers, it's not good.

Either way, i'm a believer in Kug so far. He has greatly exceeded my expectations so i'll just sit back and let him do his thing...
Kugler was quoted that he's not an idiot and he knows he needs to be more balanced on offense and thats why he recruited a juco WR who is known to be a deep threat. In Kugler I trust

Originally posted by FiliUTEP:

I know rankings shouldn't mean anything but they do. If Michigan or Alabama or big schools were ranked last in rankings the coaches would be fired and Fans would be upset. Utep fans should also be upset also. If Kugler wants to recruite the Midwest an eastcoast then that's fine ,a s long has he is getting the best players then go for it. But he isn't even doing that . The only thing that is helping him is that he is winning.
Coaches are fired because of Ws and Ls, not recruiting class rankings. If CSK continues winning, I don't care if he gets his whole recruiting class are unranked prospects from Meoqui, Chihuahua. He's getting kids that fit his system. That's probably why he didn't go hard after the kid that went to Colorado. Name one coach who was fired because his recruiting class was ranked too low. Some of us figured out a while ago that when the name schools offer a kid, stars are automatically added next to their name. When a kid commits to schools like UTEP, they lose stars. Recruiting rankings are only important to fans who want to go on message boards and get into pissing contests over their recruiting rankings.

This post was edited on 2/5 8:39 PM by HookemMiners

Our class is straight up what Kugs is about. Coach has said he has made linemen a priority every year. He is bringing in size...something we've lacked on the D-line. He's also said he wants to add a quality RB every year.

He's addressing a need at wideout w/ two juco receivers. Also don't forget about Sinegal from Andress who grayshirted this year.

And, we have a legitimate QB prospect in Kavika Johnson who may compete for the job next year.

I like what Coach is doing.

So Kugler's Staff searched the country and brought in kids for Official Visits from 9 different states and you are questioning if they are lazy?

This post is on the same level as the guy who said that we need to e-mail Tim Floyd and instruct him to have Hooper Vint go out and "dominate" the basketball game. Apparently, it's just that easy? There are some people in this thread who just don't get it and they don't see the big picture. Kugler has a plan, he stated this plan from the beginning, he has continued to stick to every detail of his plan, his plan is working with a Winning Season, Bowl Game and a Top 50 Defense.

Oh and BTW, UTEP only lost 2 Verbal Commits to other schools during this past Recruiting Class, who were those 2 Recruits? They were both kids who committed to UTEP until an East Texas Program, closer to their home's, gave them an offer. Kugler and his Staff do recruit east Texas, but so does everybody else, and history has proven that it is almost impossible to get enough kids from east Texas to come out to El Paso and fully supply/sustain our entire Program. Therefore we also have to look/recruit elsewhere as well, which is exactly what Kugler has done.

Finally, in the 9 year Mike Price era, UTEP recruited a ton of players out of the Houston area. In fact, UTEP basically isolated its recruiting to only Texas and California during that time. So you saw this theory in action for 9 years and how did it work? Mike Price never had a season in his 9 years here where he won more games in a season against D1 teams(7 wins) than what Kugler has done in just 2 years. People forget that in Mike Price's only 2 winning seasons, that he only won 7 games in each of those years against D1 teams(we had an additional win against a 1AA team in each of those 2 years, which got us up to the 8 wins).

Agree - in Kug I trust, more important to get players that fit your system, than getting spoiled 4/5 star recruits...

So then...

Not only are we winning now, but now you want to have more stars attached to those players we are winning with...gotcha. SMH

Bring back the Amen chant!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT