ADVERTISEMENT

Are we next to give up on our mascot? I am surprised nobody has brought up this issue

http://www.walkthroughindia.com/wild-world/12-wild-animals-and-wildlife-of-bhutan-kingdom/

Not sure about this but I don't recall the Texas College of Mines & Metallurgy being built over any Native American sites in the current area of UTEP. Although I'm pretty sure indigenous tribal units probably passed through the area hunting and gathering as they went along the Rio. Miners makes sense for the time being, but if it comes to a vote for a change let mine be the Monks or Trans Indentalists as an homage to the grand Bhutanese architecture on campus patterned after the Himalayan monasteries the wife of the first President of the University chose. Or an animal native to Bhutan. Back house repairs. Go Miners!! Beat the Aggies!!

Reactions: minerfan_14
Their mascot (49ers) goes to a specific time, place and event in history. UTEP's mascot is related to the industry and the economic driver of the region. Apples and oranges to me.....also California lives in a different world..
Well said.

Bring back "Dynamite" the donkey!

Reactions: utep-piggy
“As our diversity grew and more voices were heard, we came to know that the 1849 California gold rush was a time in history when the indigenous peoples of California endured subjugation, violence and threats of genocide,” President Jane Close Conoley said in a statement. “Today, the spirit of inclusivity is reflected in our students, faculty, staff, alumni and community. Today’s Beach is not connected to that era.”

LiberalLoudaMiner said she was offended by our mascot. I am just offended by how the team is playing instead.

Reactions: Dmanminer
Well said.

Bring back "Dynamite" the donkey!
Funny thing, my father-in-law's family took care of that donkey during off season. They had a ranch by Ysleta High. The house is still there but the land was "sold" for development. They did name the street for his stepfather.

No way would a donkey on the sideline be approved today unfortunately

No way would a donkey on the sideline be approved today unfortunately

Really? Why not? I mean, the Longhorns have a cow on their sideline, Colorado state has a ram, Navy has a goat. Even the NFL allows Jerry Jones on the sidelines. If an ass is good enough for the NFL with millions watching -- including children -- then why not an ass at a little school out in west Texas?

Really? Why not? I mean, the Longhorns have a cow on their sideline, Colorado state has a ram, Navy has a goat. Even the NFL allows Jerry Jones on the sidelines. If an ass is good enough for the NFL with millions watching -- including children -- then why not an ass at a little school out in west Texas?
x86uj.jpg

Reactions: utep-piggy
We're not UT or Navy. Locally our political culture is different.

Also, I doubt it'd be as easy to find someone to care for the animal.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT