ADVERTISEMENT

Arkansas coach discusses recruiting rankings

MinerInWisconsin

MI Miner Maniac
Nov 28, 2001
Since the fb recruiting classes at UTEP are always low, I thought this was interesting since it comes from a very successful coach that is rebuilding an SEC team.

“We can definitely get our hands on different players, guys that maybe the outside world thinks are at a different level, but when we watch them, they fit our demeanor,” Bielema said.

"The part that becomes relevant is where is the school you're at?" he said. "What I've witnessed and laughed at is, when you get a new coach in one of these perennial places and he kisses all the you-know-what of these recruiting services, all of a sudden they go from a 25 ranking to a 5 ranking. Five years later, he gets fired."

This post was edited on 2/9 7:17 AM by MinerInWisconsin

recruiting rankings

Yep. Notre Dame is a good example

Consistently in the top 20 recruiting and haven't been a threat AND have coaches fired every 4 to 5 years as well because the coach pissed off some huge Chicago Catholic booster from the class of who gives a damn...lol
wink.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 2/9 10:13 AM by utep2step

ND recruiting history.

Re: Yep. Notre Dame is a good example

Great article and good thread...hope the "why aren't we signing any big names and why aren't our lazy coaches recruiting Houston?" posters read this and understand.

Re: Yep. Notre Dame is a good example

Don't kid yourself, Bielma knows how to play the "poor me" game. He gets plenty of good football players. Not Alabama/LSU good, but good enough to have the #23 ranked class this year, good enough to stomp a mud hole on Strong's Longhorns in last year's Houston Bowl, and good enough to likely contend for the SEC West next season.

And Notre Dame's classes are perennially over-ranked, over-matched, and under-coached.

So no one here would trade the number 1 recruiting class for ours ? Give me a break . Don't get me wrong I like what Kugler is doing but , one 7-6 season is not a trend(and it's only 7-6) , as The Wolf (Pulp Fiction ) said "Well, let's not start sucking each other's d***s quite yet gentlemen ". In other words the jury's still out on whether recruiting "nobodys" will work in the long run .

But please don't tell me that you wouldn't take a top 20 class over ours .

The point is that a top rated recruiting class does not necessarily equal a great team, develman. Your point about not trading a top twenty class for ours is moot, for we'll never have one anyway. Not gonna happen. That's la la land conjecture. You can look at it as only 7-6. I look at it as 7-6, one year after 2-10 and a projected bottom of the barrel finish. Something's working in Kug's corner of the world.

After all these years...Still can't believe with the huge size advantage Bielema's Badgers had on offense he couldn't beat the smaller yet evidently tougher TCU H-Frogs (I credit Patterson - the TCU HC). Wisconsin could be one decent QB from competing in the big game with the massive size their O-Line recruits year in, year out.
Wonder if Bielema finds the formula in Sooee land.

That is completely true!

Kugler is getting kids that fit what HE wants or believes will help his program. History has taught us two things when it comes to recruiting:

1. Having a highly rated recruiting class doesn't equal wins.
2. Recruiting a bunch of 5 and 4 Star kids, doesn't equal impact players. In fact, the NFL as well as various sports news outlets have reported over a dozen times about how little impact these type of kids have 3-4 years down the road.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT