ADVERTISEMENT

Arkansas vs. UTEP

Nov 28, 2009
Line opens up as Arkansas being a 34.5 favorite.

I read somewhere that UTEP has 9 preseason All-Conference players. I know you guys went 7-6 last year, but I am assuming that your team is bringing back a good portion of your depth chart from last year right?

Anyway I just thought that opening line was a bit much.

I would like your thoughts on the opening game and also the season as a whole. What do you think your record will be this year? thanks

QB situation is still up for grabs with limited or no live fire experience for any of them, and a totally run oriented offense that saw a struggling passing game, I'm surprised it's not 50.5. Coach Kugler brought in some big hogs (no pun intended) and supposedly two WR's (one was a JUCO All-American who will play slot back, i.e.- what you see in Beesly and Welker do for NFL) who are supposed to open up the passing game. Will see at fall camp who the starting qb will be?

However, our defense has become our offense at times. Our Defensive coordinator is making a name for himself and we almost lost him to Texas Tech last year. Our tackling and hitting has improved by leaps and bounds and UTEP slobber knocked Utah State in their bowl game, but our offense couldn't do crap so UTEP D basically got tired late in the fourth. Only guarantee for this game is that someone on the Arkansas offensive side will get their bell rung good.

O. 'm always intrigued by the mid major teams and how they develop talent. Obviously teams in the mid majors are at a disadvantage most the time but it really pays off when you have a solid coaching staff and a really good strength and conditioning coach. how long have y'all had your current coaching staff?

This will be Kugler's third year. Our DC is also on his third year and has transformed this unit into a very physical group. UTEP is a blue collar team that will fight till the end.
What can you tell us about the razorbacks?

I read somewhere that UTEP has 9 preseason All-Conference players. I know you guys went 7-6 last year, but I am assuming that your team is bringing back a good portion of your depth chart from last year right?

I would like your thoughts on the opening game and also the season as a whole. What do you think your record will be this year? thanks

The spread is about right, if you will cover, all depends on when you call off the dogs. 59-17 sounds about right to me. All we want is the big fat paycheck, and no injuries.

This will be Kugler's third year. Our DC is also on his third year and has transformed this unit into a very physical group. UTEP is a blue collar team that will fight till the end.
What can you tell us about the razorbacks?

What I can tell you about the Razorbacks is they are very humble and hungry team. We have taken our lumps the last 2 years when we face the likes of Alabama, LSU and the best to East had to offer etc etc. When you lose I think 17 conference games in a row you become greatful for the success that you do have. Bielema has recruited well in his first three classes and moreover has developed this team. We have a O-line with at least 3 players that will get drafted the next 2 years. A running backfield with two 1000 yard rushers returning. All- Conference TE in Hunter Henry and good overall depth at TE. WR is our weakness on Offense. Our D-line is probably the best it has been since we have been in the SEC in terms of depth and overall talent, but we will miss Trey Flowers early on. Our LB corp is our achilles. The current staff has had to perform a total overhaul here. There is NOT ONE scholarship player a tLB that was a holdover from previous staff and this is only Bret Bielma's third year. Secondary is solid. We have good young talent there.

Most Razorback fans expect 8-10 wins this year(including bowl game). I think anything less than 8 regular season wins would be a disappointment.

My guess is 45 - 17 hogs. How many points is that? Take the Miners +34.5. Miners will hang in there for about 2.5 quarters. Hogs will pull the starters about mid 4th. Miners will score a late TD or two.

QB situation is still up for grabs with limited or no live fire experience for any of them, and a totally run oriented offense that saw a struggling passing game, I'm surprised it's not 50.5. Coach Kugler brought in some big hogs (no pun intended) and supposedly two WR's (one was a JUCO All-American who will play slot back, i.e.- what you see in Beesly and Welker do for NFL) who are supposed to open up the passing game. Will see at fall camp who the starting qb will be?

Kugler needs the offense to be as close to 50-50% on the run and pass. If they continue with the 98% run and 2% pass imbalance, Arkansas and every other team will just stack the box. Hopefully they've adjusted for this upcoming season. I'm excited to see how the offensive schemes have developed.

My guess is 45 - 17 hogs. How many points is that? Take the Miners +34.5. Miners will hang in there for about 2.5 quarters. Hogs will pull the starters about mid 4th. Miners will score a late TD or two.

I like what Bielema has done with the Razorbacks. He's made them a very physical football team with a run first mentality. I actually don't see the score being that high though, but just the same it could be. Their defense largely runs a cover two the majority of the time. UTEP's defense is very physical and on that end, UTEP should be ok. My guess is they'll just pound the ball and ultimately their bigs will wear our bigs down and there you go.

What is key is what our offense can and cannot do. If we don't move the ball, then UTEPs defense will probably be exhausted come midway thru the 3rd, if not earlier. Frankly, I don't see us trying to go at them run, run, run. The offense needs short to intermediate passing routes and to keep Arkansas defense off-balance and honest.

I'm looking forward to this game to see how much progress the program has made - or not.

I expect we win 8-9 games. The loss at qb is not nearly as big a deal for us as most schools. We are replacing a guy who threw for 1800 yds and 12 tds. After yall our schedule is very managable. Tech will be winnable and our other two non conference games are cupcakes. In conference our two toughest games, la tech and rice, are at home. Ten wins wouldnt suprise me right now im thinking 9-3.

UTEP's running game will do well in CUSA, our defense makes a lot of big plays.
Against the NFL farm system A.K.A SEC teams, we will have trouble opening holes for the running game, which will cause the defense to be on the field the whole game. The defense might compete for a quarter or two, until they tire and UTEP gets into its depth chart and has trouble keeping the team in the game. Same story every year against the big boys. Opening line is fair.

Like every team, we have our trolls, like you all do. His name is Bob and for whatever reason, he lost what little brains he had left when UTEP lost in the NIT and thinks UTEP can find a better coach, even if Floyd wins 20+ games per year.

Like every team, we have our trolls, like you all do. His name is Bob and for whatever reason, he lost what little brains he had left when UTEP lost in the NIT and thinks UTEP can find a better coach, even if Floyd wins 20+ games per year.
We can find a better coach. The young up and coming assistant route has worked very well for UTEP in a much tougher conference. The combination of the cream puffs we play in the non-conference schedule and the weak CUSA pretty much guarantees 20 plus wins a year now. Its not like winning 20+ games in the old WAC when Haskins was coaching like you make it seem.

And, desantos, our Troll, Bob, uses many names. So don't be surprised if several of his personalities join the conversation. (hint: it's already happening)

Anyway, this will be a great game for us to judge the progress made by our newest coach. Unfortunately it will be the first game of the season and it'll be at your house. We'll be replacing some key positions.

Too bad this game couldn't happen a little later in the season.

We can find a better coach. The young up and coming assistant route has worked very well for UTEP in a much tougher conference. The combination of the cream puffs we play in the non-conference schedule and the weak CUSA pretty much guarantees 20 plus wins a year now. Its not like winning 20+ games in the old WAC when Haskins was coaching like you make it seem.

Exactly. Winning 20 games isn't a huge accomplishment.

Reactions: STCarlosEP
We had a good year last year considering we only won 1 game the previous year. Showing improvement is always a good thing. But we lost to every team that had a winning record and our 2 best victories were against teams with .500 records. the other victories were against very bad teams. I guess you could say we had an easy road to get to a bowl game last year but the important thing is we did it ,and beat all the teams we should have beaten last year. So credit to Kugler. Too bad we can't say the same for our basketball team who can't take advantage of the easy road to the NCAA Tourney and still can't beat the teams they should beat.

Kugler has done a great job turning the football team from a finesse team into a physical team. Players have to be tough both physically and mentally to play for Kugler and i think thats is why we have shown the improvement. I love his no nonsense approach. Our strength is our defense. They bailed us out a lot last year. We are a one dimensional offense though. We run the ball 98% of the time. Our play calling is very predictable on offense. Our passing game is very weak. Last year La. tech and Utah State stopped our run game and we got blown out pretty bad. So hopefully the passing game has improved this year. This game will probably be close in the first quarter but Arkansas is just too much for us to handle. If our passing game has not improved from last year then Arkansas beats us easily by the 34.5 points cause Arkansas will just stack the box and eliminate the run game. They are too big and have too much depth.

With that being said....my expectations for this years team are to beat some teams with winning records and make another bowl game. That is where the bar should be set.

Last edited:
The troll alert system they have in place is pretty impressive, one posts some crap, then the other two are not far behind! :D

How the hell did this turn into a basketball thread. Kugler has the football program poised for a big season. Let the dumpster fire that is the basketball program smolder in the corner until football is over. Sit back and enjoy the ride the football team is about to take us on.

I know everyone on here is impressed with kugler ( it's funny how kugler kicks a kid out and it's because he is being tough but if Floyd kicks a player out he has lost touch with the kids these days but that's for another time) but honestly I am way more impressed with the defensive coordinator! He has turned a team that couldn't tackle a high school team to a team that can actually be respected and possibly feared in the future

you may have lost 17 conference games in a row, but it was to the SEC, not the CUSA.

the happy news is that this should be a run oriented offense for the Miners, which will kill a lot of the clock, which in turn will deprive Arkansas of the time to kill us. the offense won't be that good, according to posters here, but I would rather run the ball and shorten the game than continually killing the clock with incomplete passes. Rice doesn't have a lot of talent but they have shown how a running game can be very competitive in this league.

regardless of which schemes are used, we simply don't have the talent of an Arkansas. jdubb's prediction is not really a prediction. its a rerun. we've seen it a lot in the past. I expect the same. but if my shipment arrives from Colorado on time, I may actually take the points. only because its early in the season and my galactic stupidity hasn't yet grasped reality. that usually arrives by week #2.

MF

the happy news is that this should be a run oriented offense for the Miners, which will kill a lot of the clock, which in turn will deprive Arkansas of the time to kill us. the offense won't be that good, according to posters here, but I would rather run the ball and shorten the game than continually killing the clock with incomplete passes. Rice doesn't have a lot of talent but they have shown how a running game can be very competitive in this league.

MF
Back to football.

Totally disagree. What you're proposing by running the ball to "kill" the clock, isn't going to work for several reasons. First, you're implying that UTEPs OL is going to control the LOS. I don't forecast UTEP's OL doing that. Not even close. The Miners OL is going to get some movement from Ark's DL, but the keyword is some. Your proposal means it's going three and out, followed by punting the ball back to the Razorbacks - which will ultimately exhaust the defense. If you think UTEP's OL is going to control the LOS for four quarters against Ark, then either UTEP is playing in the wrong conference or Ark is going to have a really bad season. I'm not selling UTEP short, but I am a realist. Some movement, yes, but controlling the LOS? I'll take a pass on that.

Speaking of a pass. That's exactly what UTEP is going to have to do. Utilizing a smart pass game and route tree, from the Spread (or shotgun for you gun enthusiasts lol) formation is vital to keeping Ark's offense off the field as well as UTEP's defense rested. The absolute key is the QB making smart reads and moving the ball by keeping Ark off balance via the pass and run game.

UTEP can't afford three and outs or turnovers (or moronic penalties either).

Lastly, if you're envisioning UTEP running it to "kill" the clock, then please share how you'd combat Ark stacking the box to stop the run.

tribal, if we can't control the LOS for runs, how are we going to do that for pass protection?

to answer your question, we aren't going to combat Ark from stacking the box. the game is played in two dimensions: time and distance. we usually get killed when we play games where we continue to give ourselves the most distance to travel and/or when we give our opponents more time than they need. do you remember the ECU game from yesteryear? or was it UCF?

playing a game where we hope to pass against a team with considerably bigger and faster players only results in a lot of three and outs. then we get to watch our special teams put our defense into untenable positions. sound familiar?

tribal, if we can't control the LOS for runs, how are we going to do that for pass protection?

to answer your question, we aren't going to combat Ark from stacking the box. the game is played in two dimensions: time and distance. we usually get killed when we play games where we continue to give ourselves the most distance to travel and/or when we give our opponents more time than they need. do you remember the ECU game from yesteryear? or was it UCF?

playing a game where we hope to pass against a team with considerably bigger and faster players only results in a lot of three and outs. then we get to watch our special teams put our defense into untenable positions. sound familiar?

The Ark DL is by far the biggest and most physical the Miners will play all season. It will take a mixture of runs, quick release short passes, etc. to move the ball and have a chance to stay in the game. Ark finished very strong last season, clobbered the Longhorns in their bowl game and have a lot of players back. This is their year to finish at or near the top in the SEC west. UTEP will have it's hands full, no doubt.

That is one of the beauty marks and design of the spread (besides it being fairly simple to run). It negates the effects of a strong pass rush and because the defense is spread out (including the DL) it creates natural running lanes. UTEPs OC (or Kugler for that matter) can't get caught into trying to force the run in addition to running when they expect you to run. The key is a good mix and keeping Ark's defense off balance.

The last part of your statement implies UTEP doesn't have any WRs. I disagree. There were several that made names for themselves this past spring that will be key in competing against Ark.

Remember I said using a smart pass game and route tree? That means not trying to send all of the WRs on fly routes. Or sending three deep and one underneath, like they did in several games last season. UTEPs QB isn't going to have that type of time. How UTEP "kills" the clock against a bigger, faster opponent is outsmarting them. Quick routes. Crossing routes (since they like to sit in cover two a lot) and do it from the gun. Zone blocking schemes and quick hit run plays. Varying the tempo of the offense will help tire Arks defense as well. UTEP is not going to beat Ark by trying to be more physical. They have to be smarter.

In Sun Tzu's book, The Art of War, one of his keys to defeating an opponent is to be where they are not. You don't win by "going into" the strength of your opponent. You force them to move to yours. What's UTEPs? Not doing what they expect us to do - run it, run it, run it. Ark expects us to run, so we pass. But we pass smartly and we pass to set up the run.

I understand your thinking. All I'm asking is for you to twist that perspective to the right just a bit and understand the strategy they'll need to utilize for this game (and any game there after). It can't be Jones up the middle on 1st and 2nd down and it can't be a Jet sweep to Golden on third, followed by the same set of plays the next series.

Exactly. Winning 20 games isn't a huge accomplishment.

See what I mean. Blurt crap with no support. Even if the 4th place CUSA finisher beat the 2nd place Big XII finisher doesn't make a difference.

Bob, don't confuse Floyd's body of work for CUSA's crappy ass commish body of work for his failure to get the conference more leverage. That's his job and what he's paid to do. Winning 20 at the D1 level may not seem like a big deal, but it really is. Just take your ordinary corporate chain store manager who has to beat last year's percentage's, year after year. Every one of them bitch that its hard to do....even if the economy is chugging along. Damn son.....

Reactions: Tribalwarriorx
The Ark DL is by far the biggest and most physical the Miners will play all season. It will take a mixture of runs, quick release short passes, etc. to move the ball and have a chance to stay in the game. Ark finished very strong last season, clobbered the Longhorns in their bowl game and have a lot of players back. This is their year to finish at or near the top in the SEC west. UTEP will have it's hands full, no doubt.

Totally agree. UTEPs OC has had all spring and three months for the summer to design an offensive scheme that'll work against Ark.

It was both. However, ECU came here and snuck out a win with a few seconds left. Last time UCF was here we slobber knocked them all over the place. I think the kicker even made a 60 yard FG it was so lopsided.

That is one of the beauty marks and design of the spread (besides it being fairly simple to run). It negates the effects of a strong pass rush and because the defense is spread out (including the DL) it creates natural running lanes. UTEPs OC (or Kugler for that matter) can't get caught into trying to force the run in addition to running when they expect you to run. The key is a good mix and keeping Ark's defense off balance.

The last part of your statement implies UTEP doesn't have any WRs. I disagree. There were several that made names for themselves this past spring that will be key in competing against Ark.

Remember I said using a smart pass game and route tree? That means not trying to send all of the WRs on fly routes. Or sending three deep and one underneath, like they did in several games last season. UTEPs QB isn't going to have that type of time. How UTEP "kills" the clock against a bigger, faster opponent is outsmarting them. Quick routes. Crossing routes (since they like to sit in cover two a lot) and do it from the gun. Zone blocking schemes and quick hit run plays. Varying the tempo of the offense will help tire Arks defense as well. UTEP is not going to beat Ark by trying to be more physical. They have to be smarter.

In Sun Tzu's book, The Art of War, one of his keys to defeating an opponent is to be where they are not. You don't win by "going into" the strength of your opponent. You force them to move to yours. What's UTEPs? Not doing what they expect us to do - run it, run it, run it. Ark expects us to run, so we pass. But we pass smartly and we pass to set up the run.

I understand your thinking. All I'm asking is for you to twist that perspective to the right just a bit and understand the strategy they'll need to utilize for this game (and any game there after). It can't be Jones up the middle on 1st and 2nd down and it can't be a Jet sweep to Golden on third, followed by the same set of plays the next series.

The spread, with mixtures of play action, pro-set work well, but the spread by itself has to have very, very good lineman with very long arms and exceptional lateral movement in open field. Getting players like that to UTEP is not a huge task, but the last UTEP player who could move quickly and laterally and put any opponent on their back, including db's, was Trey Darilek (who last played for the Jaguars). UTEP has had some numerous good lineman since then but no one like Darilek.

I like what Kugler's doing. Getting big old hogs who push the pile in any direction and let the rb squirt through the hole. Only one defensive line I didn't see get pushed at by UTEP's O-line and that was KSU's first team d-line. KSU started putting in the 2nd and 3rd string d-line and UTEP shoved them around; even gave Showers time to throw some deep passes. Even Bill Snyder was pissed at the second and third team against UTEP "They didn't show up to play...". No, Coach Kugler's made that much progress.

Oldham out of Minnesota West CC is supposed Kugler's answer for the deep routes. Oldham says that's his shtick and what he brings to UTEP. At 6' 4"...I surely hope so.

Last edited:
Probably have their Google email alerts set on for each other.[/QUOTE
It's such a coincidence that when one of them is here they all are. Hmmm, that might be a clue.

Great insight by 2step, tribal, MIWisc, MFight. Thanks!

Last edited:
See what I mean. Blurt crap with no support. Even if the 4th place CUSA finisher beat the 2nd place Big XII finisher doesn't make a difference.

Bob, don't confuse Floyd's body of work for CUSA's crappy ass commish body of work for his failure to get the conference more leverage. That's his job and what he's paid to do. Winning 20 at the D1 level may not seem like a big deal, but it really is. Just take your ordinary corporate chain store manager who has to beat last year's percentage's, year after year. Every one of them bitch that its hard to do....even if the economy is chugging along. Damn son.....

One game doesn't make a difference. Remember when Florida Gulf Coast beat Georgetown and made the Sweet 16? I don't recall any networks banging on the Atlantic Sun's door waiting to give them more money to broadcast games. FGCU is still in that conference. If their Sweet 16 run didn't make any difference, why would UAB's sole victory over Iowa St make one?

Why is it the commish's fault UTEP and everyone outside of ODU sucked out of conference? Gardner-Webb and NJIT won 20 games last year too. BFD. Does that ordinary chain store manager compete to get in a Top 68 tournament and win more money and exposure for his business? No, he just competes to keep his job. Floyd doesn't have his boss down his throat to get results. Floyd's boss sees morons like yourself who are satisfied with 20 wins and will buy tickets no matter what trash teams UTEP beats. You expect nothing, so you get nothing in return. Except for those great wins over FAU, Princeton, and UAB. Hooooooray!

Reactions: Epsilon00
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT