ADVERTISEMENT

Asarco

nattybry

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 7, 2003
Old Asarco site back on the market and can be used for Arena or Soccer Stadium! Courts been going on for years now for Arena. Cut your losses City of EP and build it here. If that's not viable however, hope maybe the Locos can build a stadium here. Great spot between the two border cities.

Old Asarco site back on the market and can be used for Arena or Soccer Stadium! Courts been going on for years now for Arena. Cut your losses City of EP and build it here. If that's not viable however, hope maybe the Locos can build a stadium here. Great spot between the two border cities.
I still like the arena downtown to complete revitalization, but this could be an awesome idea. Make an area like Texas live between the arena and the soccer field. Make the soccer field big enough to lure MLS. Make an area amenable and accessible to college students as well.

Another option is some kind of big tourist attraction.

I just hope it doesn't end up being sold to a bunch of hotel chains.

Reactions: nattybry
The area was offered to Amazon for the proposed corporate offices and from what I have read.

Now that you opened this discussion, I am waiting for the proposal to offer the land for Dallas Cowboys training facilities.

CspjP15VMAA35CS.jpg

Yeah, outlet mall, hotels, a Walmart, are probably most likely for that area. Maybe Apartments and/or Track Housing.

What should be there?

Its such a prominent location as people drive through the city. So a tourist a attraction, a park, arena, etc...

Its so close to Mexico that some type of Mexico themed attraction. Maybe like a 'Little Mexico.' Kindof like Little Havana in Miami or like a Chinatown.

I genuinely don't know the answer, but are there any remaining hazardous materials at the site since it was, you know, ASARCO ground zero? Or has it all been cleaned up?

Reactions: FarWestTexas
I genuinely don't know the answer, but are there any remaining hazardous materials at the site since it was, you know, ASARCO ground zero? Or has it all been cleaned up?
Me neither, but I dont think it would be legal to sell without appropriate cleanup. Not sure why the deal was cancelled though. I can't see the EP times article.

I think it was done in 2017-18. No residential properties though

UT System only wants the piece north of I-10 for UTEP, so the deal fell apart.

Not suitable I think for tract housing but I can see Garden, condo or townhouse style development.

"highest and best use" is the first question to ask as you look at the land through the lens of it being raw. Then break it down through the five factors of production . "Legal" is left out sometimes but you can't do diddly if zoning or the judge says "hold on there fellas!" as we passionately know thru the whole damn downtown arena deal.

factors_of_production_summary.png

Yeah, outlet mall, hotels, a Walmart, are probably most likely for that area. Maybe Apartments and/or Track Housing.

What should be there?

Its such a prominent location as people drive through the city. So a tourist a attraction, a park, arena, etc...

Its so close to Mexico that some type of Mexico themed attraction. Maybe like a 'Little Mexico.' Kindof like Little Havana in Miami or like a Chinatown.
It can't be housing of any kind. It has to be commercial or entertainment, etc..

Reactions: kickballpro

Oh great so people can see the slums of Juarez . Sun Bowl already gives that to the tour

Actually there’s people in other parts of America that would pay to see the slums but not have to cross over.

Let’s build a scenic view there with those binoculars that charge .75.

Actually there’s people in other parts of America that would pay to see the slums but not have to cross over.

Let’s build a scenic view there with those binoculars that charge .75.

Getting shot at with a stray bullet free of charge.

Get to see people trying to crossover
$10 charge

$20 tube ride across the river

Reactions: nattybry
Getting shot at with a stray bullet free of charge.

Get to see people trying to crossover
$10 charge

$20 tube ride across the river

Glad to know you're a trust fund baby who's never had to work your ass off for anything. Some of us are descendants of people just like those you're insulting. Try not being such an asshole, will ya?

Glad to know you're a trust fund baby who's never had to work your ass off for anything. Some of us are descendants of people just like those you're insulting. Try not being such an asshole, will ya?

My parents are from Juarez I grew up there. How is it insulting if its true?? All the things I stated are true. Is what I'm saying false??

My parents are from Juarez I grew up there. How is it insulting if its true?? All the things I stated are true. Is what I'm saying false??
Again, what does it have to do with building something nice for El Paso in this area? Are we supposed to just leave it alone so that people don't see the slums of Juarez? There's nothing we can do about that.

Reactions: FiliUTEP
Again, what does it have to do with building something nice for El Paso in this area? Are we supposed to just leave it alone so that people don't see the slums of Juarez? There's nothing we can do about that.

It’s not really that nice if you can see slums. Do you think high end buyers are asking real estate agents for $300,000 homes with nice views of Juarez slums?

Yes I wish the Sun Bowl was in another location. When seeing the Sun Bowl game have you ever seen CBS show the slums??

I think the best use of the west parcel would be industrial. Maybe a BNSF or Southern Pacific railroad yard, or maybe a port of entry.

It makes total sense to me that the UT System only wants the parcel east of I-10 for future UTEP expansion.

I know that. Just saying, if you can see slums, it’s not really “that nice” or “desirable”
Well that'sdifferent. I dont think people want to live there. I'm talking about a sports related or other attraction.

The land is more accessible and maybe cheaper? Plenty of space to build something nice for the city. Maybe I'm just used to it, but I really don't care about what it looks like across the border. I just care about making our city better.

In Austin the airport is next to the landfill. No one seems to care that the first thing you see when you fly into the city is trash.

What about placing a Kalahari there?

Reactions: picks up
Well that'sdifferent. I dont think people want to live there. I'm talking about a sports related or other attraction.

The land is more accessible and maybe cheaper? Plenty of space to build something nice for the city. Maybe I'm just used to it, but I really don't care about what it looks like across the border. I just care about making our city better.

Sure, but perception is reality. Cheesecake Factory wouldn’t put one of their restaurants near Bowie or Riverside.

Hopefully something gets built there. In these times, it definitely won’t be a soccer stadium or the “downtown” arena.

Google it

I did. It’s a replacement for their first one. So you have to build elsewhere. Guess it was the best deal or where the land is available. Being next to a landfill, was their best/only option.

Not the same thing as someone CHOOSING to see Juarez slums for their shopping mall.

I did. It’s a replacement for their first one. So you have to build elsewhere. Guess it was the best deal or where the land is available. Being next to a landfill, was their best/only option.

Not the same thing as someone CHOOSING to see Juarez slums for their shopping mall.
You’re right they choose to build the airport next to tons and tons of shit.

I've heard a rumor that all that smoke coming out of there went right to the Mesita elementary area. That people living in the area got cancer.

True, and Parkinson’s too. I breathed that shit from 3rd to 7th grade— had terrible asthma.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT