ADVERTISEMENT

At what point did UTEP lose the race?

nattybry

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 7, 2003
So all this realignment had me reading different articles throughout the years.. What was interesting was, going back to 2011 Utep was actually spoken of as potential future Big 12 expansion teams. Don't get me wrong, I think that was craziness, but the article was not from El Paso it was National Media. Also found other articles implying UTEP as future MWC, AAC member etc... Fast forward to now and we got left behind in CUSA, cause no one wanted us so we had to stay put. So my question is, with all the teams from WAC, MWC, CUSA that have moved onward and upward. What do you think was the point that UTEP failed to make us an expansion option? Or was it just a matter of money and markets?

What do you think was the point that UTEP failed to make us an expansion option? Or was it just a matter of money and markets?

Bob Stull decided at the end of the 2008 football season to make a UTEP a non option. Mike Price just finished his 3rd straight losing season and still kept his job another 4 years after that, all losing seasons too.

Had Bob Stull fired him then, it would have shown we were serious about football. Stull then followed it up, by hiring Sean Kugler.

So all this realignment had me reading different articles throughout the years.. What was interesting was, going back to 2011 Utep was actually spoken of as potential future Big 12 expansion teams. Don't get me wrong, I think that was craziness, but the article was not from El Paso it was National Media. Also found other articles implying UTEP as future MWC, AAC member etc... Fast forward to now and we got left behind in CUSA, cause no one wanted us so we had to stay put. So my question is, with all the teams from WAC, MWC, CUSA that have moved onward and upward. What do you think was the point that UTEP failed to make us an expansion option? Or was it just a matter of money and markets?
I think it's money and market. TVs drive expansion and El Paso just doesn't have enough tuning into football. I also think the severe lack of funding for the football program is another issue. If we had the financial commitment that other schools are showing towards their football program, I think we could convince people that there was a path for upward mobility for us. Right now there's just nothing to show we're heading in the right direction. Maybe if we can string together a few more bowl seasons.

In 98 when the MW left us behind.

I would like to read that article linking UTEP to Big 12.
Like I said I've read different articles throughout the years from long ago to more recent. You're welcome Corona for me doing the research and making it easy on you. Enjoy at your leisure. The bleacher report stupidly talks about UTEP in Big 12 expansion talk, which I said is ridiculous. It's not copying the URL to click on. I'll try again later.

https://www.mwcconnection.com/2013/1/10/3858746/mountain-west-expansion-utep

Last edited:
Like I said I've read different articles throughout the years from long ago to more recent. You're welcome Corona for me doing the research and making it easy on you. Enjoy at your leisure.

Like I said I've read different articles throughout the years from long ago to more recent. You're welcome Corona for me doing the research and making it easy on you. Enjoy at your leisure. The bleacher report stupidly talks about UTEP in Big 12 expansion talk, which I said is ridiculous. It's not copying the URL to click on. I'll try again later.

Thanks for all that work but it looks like we're even. I read all those articles and none of them mention UTEP and the Big 12 in the same conference.

Reactions: denverutep
Thanks for all that work but it looks like we're even. I read all those articles and none of them mention UTEP and the Big 12 in the same conference.
To be fair, the author in the first article, who’s not a national football pundit but rather a contributor for Texas Monthly, did make short mention that he’d LIKE to see UTEP in a regional conference with the likes of UT, A&M, Tech, OU, Nebbie, etc, quoted below.

“Yet still, I have this dream that A&M and Texas officials will meet for coffee, shake hands, and say something like: “Let’s think of our fans and what’s best for them.” I know that’s naive, but if they ever got together, it would take them about five minutes to come up with a brand-new conference that’d be wildly appealing in the Lone Star State. UT and A&M would be in it. So would Oklahoma, Nebraska, and Arkansas. Also Texas Tech, Baylor, Houston, Oklahoma State, TCU, and SMU. (I’d also invite UTSA, UTEP, and North Texas.)”

But to your point, I didn’t see UTEP and the Big12 mentioned together anywhere either.

This might be the article he's talking about:

(Damn, Rivals doesn't want to treat the Bleacher Report link as a normal link, even when just trying to add it as a normal link; it keeps trying to convert it into some "media" format that isn't showing up.)

Here:

Big 12 Expansion: 12 Possibilities for the Big 12 to Get Back to 12

Last edited:
Reactions: nattybry
In 98 when the MW left us behind.

UNLV, SDSU, Wyoming, Colorado St, Air Force, and UNM have been in the MWC since then. Had UTEP been invited to the MWC then, they would likely still be there like these other 6.

UTEP was chosen to join CUSA over LaTech when we joined. So we really weren’t “left behind”. UTEP had “promise” in 2004/05. They just couldn’t keep it going.

Had UTEP not been chosen for CUSA, it’s very likely we would have already been in the MWC or at worst, ended up in CUSA with their last round of expansion.

I already said the bleachers report link didn't go though. I'll try again to link it for you there's actually 2, but I had to go to work and couldn't keep looking

Think broader.

At the turn of the previous century, El Paso was poised to be the great city of the Southwest. That’s why we have such beautiful buildings downtown.

Somehow, El Paso blew it, and Phoenix became that city.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Think broader.

At the turn of the previous century, El Paso was poised to be the great city of the Southwest. That’s why we have such beautiful buildings downtown.

Think broader.

Very true. El Paso took a wrong turn in 70, 80s, 90s and 2000's and similar size cities kept improving the quality of life for their residents and eft us in the rear view for sure! Had the city leaders did more we would've had more to attract and keep people in town. In 1980 El Paso was on track to be at a million by now.

Very true. El Paso took a wrong turn in 70, 80s, 90s and 2000's and similar size cities kept improving the quality of life for their residents and eft us in the rear view for sure! Had the city leaders did more we would've had more to attract and keep people in town. In 1980 El Paso was on track to be at a million by now.
The error happened way before then. I’m not sure what it was.

Think broader.

The issues in Juarez did not help.

The issues in Juarez did not help.
According to Stull the cartel violence during Price's tenure as coach, had a very adverse affect on recruiting. Even though El Paso was not directly affected, stories of multiple killings just across the border were enough for other schools to covince parents to keep their kids away from UTEP.

According to Stull the cartel violence during Price's tenure as coach, had a very adverse affect on recruiting. Even though El Paso was not directly affected, stories of multiple killings just across the border were enough for other schools to covince parents to keep their kids away from UTEP.

Misinformation continues today. People here in Dallas think El Paso is dangerous and drug cartel killings and violence runs rampant in the city. I tell them it's way safer than Dallas and they don't believe me, unless I show them.
That's the misconception all over the country and that's a huge problem to have to overcome when recruiting young men.

Reactions: denverutep
That's the misconception all over the country and that's a huge problem to have to overcome when recruiting young men.
Lived in Dallas (still here), Covington, KY (pretty much a Cincinnati suburb), DC and have traveled to Houston, Miami, Phoenix, and Charlotte. Never heard a peep about violence. I did back in 2016 when it was high but not in the past 4 years.
Must be who you talk to I guess

Funny thing is dallas is one of the most dangerous cities in the country.

Misinformation continues today. People here in Dallas think El Paso is dangerous and drug cartel killings and violence runs rampant in the city. I tell them it's way safer than Dallas and they don't believe me, unless I show them.
Those people are just being ignorant and stereotyping (regarding danger and crime). Of course it happens, but not nearly to the extent of what some think or as compared to some other big Texas cities. Those people don't even care to check...

Those people are just being ignorant and stereotyping (regarding danger and crime). Of course it happens, but not nearly to the extent of what some think or as compared to some other big Texas cities. Those people don't even care to check...
I think it’s hilarious that a Miner fan who lived in Cincinnati and traveled to other places, think people will just discuss El Paso. Does anyone in El Paso discuss Cincinnati, OH?

Last time I left town, I didn’t go and gauge the locals on their thoughts in El Paso. Maybe I am doing it wrong!

"......It dates from the power schools’ subversion of the Supreme Court’s 1984 antitrust ruling in NCAA v. Board of Regents of the University of Oklahoma, which stripped the NCAA of its ability to regulate college football’s TV contracts and team appearances on the air. The ruling was intended to be a corrective to the NCAA’s overbearing exercise of its powers, but it didn’t recognize that there is a legitimate state regulatory interest in curbing the excess profiteering of athletic department scoundrels who are simply using the kids for skim......"

College football was betrayed by the adults who were supposed to protect it

Reactions: MinerInWisconsin
When was the last time UTEP invested in an athletic facility that put the school ahead of the game. I would say it was the construction of the Don Haskins Center, Special Events Center.

The LKD center was an amazing facility, but we had the Iron Mine at the time which was the worst facility in the nation. The LKD Center just caught us up to other schools. The Foster Steven's Center is a good facility. Its really got everything a team needs, but once you get past the lobby is pretty generic.

Reactions: Taco1977
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT