ADVERTISEMENT

Attention Recruits, trying to help you out

TenaciousD

Rookie
Jun 28, 2001
El Paso, TX
Feel free to use this template when tweeting, I'd rather you just be honest:

"I am fully committed to (Insert University name here), but in 2 years it will be in my best interest to enter the transfer portal and explore my options"

"At that time, I will be committed to (Insert University name here), but am grateful to Coach (Insert 1st college head coach name) and to all the (insert 1st college mascot name here) fan's who showed me love and support".

#Let'sGo
#(Insert 2nd college attended mascot name here)

**Reminder - Keep this handy because you probably will be attending 3 or more colleges.

How did it get this way?
Because the NCAA and the Universities allow it. It shouldn't be like this, there should be rules made with the focus of college kids staying with the school they first committed with, only transfer under certain special circumstances. There should also be a rule in which they cannot be drafted by the NBA until after their senior year, that way they are forced to graduate and finish school.

Reactions: Rocketsr
I've always thought there should be free transfers in the NCAA but my idea was you only get 1 Free Ride. The first time you transfer youre paying half and the next time you're on your own.

And the University receiving the transfer still has to count that player towards their scholarship limits.

Because the NCAA and the Universities allow it. It shouldn't be like this, there should be rules made with the focus of college kids staying with the school they first committed with, only transfer under certain special circumstances. There should also be a rule in which they cannot be drafted by the NBA until after their senior year, that way they are forced to graduate and finish school.

Coaches are just as bad as players. They will jump ship and leave player hanging. So it goes both ways.

If I made the rules:

Immediately eligible at new school if your previous coach left.

Immediately eligible if coach decides not to re-new your scholarship.

Immediately eligible if you “need” to transfer for “family reasons”. Must have documentation and new school. New school must be within 2 hour drive of family member. Only exceptions would be Wyoming, Hawaii, and other schools with no close neighbors.

Other than that, gotta sit out a year.

I've always thought there should be free transfers in the NCAA but my idea was you only get 1 Free Ride. The first time you transfer youre paying half and the next time you're on your own.

And the University receiving the transfer still has to count that player towards their scholarship limits.

Everyone complains about players transfering, but few complain about the fact that scholarships aren't guaranteed. The latter allows a coach like Floyd to dump players left and right for new ones if they don't show him enough during their freshman year. As long as scholarships are not guaranteed then players should be allowed to transfer to other schools. Personally I would like for scholarships to be guaranteed, and players requires to sit a year if they transfer, unless the head coach that recruited them leaves.

As far as players leaving early to the NBA, what legal right does anyone have to stop them? If a tech company wants to hire a hot shot sophomore Engineering major are you going to tell them they can't?

Maybe because we live in a free country and these schools and the NCAA don't own the players. If they want to pay them and hammer out contracts with terms regarding transferring well, that would be different.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Maybe because we live in a free country and these schools and the NCAA don't own the players. If they want to pay them and hammer out contracts with terms regarding transferring well, that would be different.

If the players have a problem with it, they can play in D2, NAIA, or JC. Or they could, you know, earn a scholarship academically instead of solely athletic accomplishments.

Why would they have a problem? With what exactly would they have a problem with? They're already players playing in D2, NAIA, and JC's. What's your point?

I would have gladly played basketball for a free education.

Reactions: Cube Jack
Everyone complains about players transfering, but few complain about the fact that scholarships aren't guaranteed. The latter allows a coach like Floyd to dump players left and right for new ones if they don't show him enough during their freshman year. As long as scholarships are not guaranteed then players should be allowed to transfer to other schools. Personally I would like for scholarships to be guaranteed, and players requires to sit a year if they transfer, unless the head coach that recruited them leaves.

As far as players leaving early to the NBA, what legal right does anyone have to stop them? If a tech company wants to hire a hot shot sophomore Engineering major are you going to tell them they can't?
Certain conferences like the Big Ten do guarantee scholarships. Northwestern had an ex-player (Vassar) occupying a scholarship spot because the coach refused to play him, but they couldn't pull his scholarship without cause. So they basically had him sweeping floors and stuff (stupid coach should have at least used him as a body during practice, since he was taking a scholarship slot), then he graduated and transferred and played his last year. I don't blame Vassar at all; a Northwestern degree is very expensive, so he stood his ground and refused to be run off by the coach. Easiest scholarship ever!

Why would you think this would happen? The NCAA is ceding power to players every day. Because without players, there is no NCAA.
It’s a two way street. Without the NCAA, without college athletics, without pro sports leagues, without owners, there’s nowhere for athletes to play. Not unless you plan on watching them play on playground courts and park fields. You really think people and TV networks will pay money to watch that?

It’s a two way street. Without the NCAA, without college athletics, without pro sports leagues, without owners, there’s nowhere for athletes to play. Not unless you plan on watching them play on playground courts and park fields. You really think people and TV networks will pay money to watch that?
I know they don't pay to watch the owners.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
I am about done with pro sports and their players thinking each one of them is worth 40 million a year... their salaries at most should max out at 10

I love watching the NFL, but I've been priced out of going to a game. Used to go once or twice a year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT