ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball rumors

So, just a quick numbers check as of right now. Based on the assumption that Omega HAS had his scholarship removed; by my count, we would have 11 scholarship players currently on the team for next year. This would include Kelvin Jones, Deon Barrett, and Tim Cameron. The story from UTEP regarding Moore's departure yesterday stated "Miners look to fill two vacancies in the starting backcourt heading into the April signing period." To me, this implies that Omega's scholarship is already up for grabs. If this was not the case, then we would only have one slot available for the April signing period. Nothing official out of Floyd, either way, so we will assume Omega is indeed off of his ride for next year.

That said, I don't believe that Moore's departure was that much of a shocker to the staff. Similar to Hunter last year, my understanding is that Moore had already left school to "prepare" for the draft\pro ball. We have heard very little with regard to specific recruiting visits, other than the aborted one from Reinhardt, and the one by Bol. Like last year, it will be interesting to see what the staff comes up with in the late signing period. Based on some the guys we have offered late, I think there is cause for some concern. I would be pleasantly surprised to see one guy signed tomorrow on the start of the late signing period.

Reactions: MinerManiac
Yup good luck!! I am isolating the Moore incident because people were blaming Floyd for that!! There is no way that's on Floyd! And Harris? Again how is that on Floyd? From what I heard it was failing classes and he got a second chance.... Soooo is Tim Floyd supposed to do his homework for him too?? And hunter thought he was better than what he was.... That's floyds fault too?? Ohhh let's not forget the 3 that got booted for gambling, I am pretty sure Floyd said hey guys go gamble it's ok right?

Ohhh by the way the men's basketball team just put 10 on the academic honor roll not too bad, tied for most in the conference....

Reactions: Carlosergio
Yup good luck!! I am isolating the Moore incident because people were blaming Floyd for that!! There is no way that's on Floyd! And Harris? Again how is that on Floyd? From what I heard it was failing classes and he got a second chance.... Soooo is Tim Floyd supposed to do his homework for him too?? And hunter thought he was better than what he was.... That's floyds fault too?? Ohhh let's not forget the 3 that got booted for gambling, I am pretty sure Floyd said hey guys go gamble it's ok right?

Ohhh by the way the men's basketball team just put 10 on the academic honor roll not too bad, tied for most in the conference....

PURPLEFIRE, I can take every single player that Floyd has signed that has failed to either show up, become eligible, or complete his eligibility, and, one by one, make an argument as to why it isn't Floyd's fault that this player did not finish his college career as a Miner. The problem is that there are so many players that fit in this category that a reasonable person will start questioning why there are so many.

While I can't say whether or not you fit into this category, I can guarantee that many who believe that Floyd has been a victim of "bad luck" wouldn't excuse a different coach the way they do Floyd. Moore's departure? They would crucify the coach for not being able to convince a player who had absolutely no shot of being drafted to stay put for at least another year (Barbee, in fact, was able to convince Arnett Moultrie, who was very determined to go pro, to return for his sophomore season). Omega? They would blame the staff for not keeping on top of a key player's academic progress. The three that got booted for gambling? They would crush a coach for recruiting such unscrupulous students.

I have a question for you: don't you get tired of the constant revolving door that has become the UTEP Basketball program? Again, on a individual by individual basis you can excuse each and every one of the departures. But looking at it as a whole? Where there's smoke, there very well might be some fire.

Don't you get tired of never challenging for a conference title? In his sixth year at UTEP, Floyd finished sixth in conference. Now it was a rebuilding year, which schools occasionally have, but what was he rebuilding from? A third place finish, followed by a blowout loss in the NIT. And the year before that, a fourth place finish. Keitha Adams was coming off of a rebuilding year a year ago, but she has NCAA appearances and an NIT Championship appearance to fall back on. What has Floyd done?

Speaking of that, aren't you tired of being blown out in every post season appearance Floyd has made, especially when he has only brought us to second tier (NIT) or third tier (CBI) tournaments?

I desperately want Floyd to succeed here. I was hoping at the start of this past season that he would have something special in place next year. But I was counting on a stellar backcourt returning. Now we know that this isn't going to happen. I had hoped that we would see some development from more than one of our four young bigs this past season, so that we would have hope for a solid frontcourt next season. Now one of those young bigs, Romine, is gone, and no one really cares because he had more work to do than two of the others, Jones and Thomas, do, and they have a ton of work to do until they are competent NCAA frontcourt court players. So we can't count on a solid backcourt next year, we can't count on a solid frontcourt next year, which means that we are again hoping for progress the year after next. So we aren't even counting how many "next years" we're giving Floyd, we're counting how many "years after next" we are giving him.

Finally, can you tell me, after six complete years here, that Floyd has a solid foundation to build upon? Winn is a nice, if undersized, post player. Whom else do we have to build on? Flaggert is a role player. People are split on whether Touchet is too slow and timid or if he is young and heady, but even his supporters can't claim right now that he will be a star. Willms hasn't shown us much in his first two seasons, we haven't seen anything from the aforementioned Jones and Thomas yet, McSwiggan and Kelvin Jones haven't played a second of college ball yet, and neither have Barrett or Cameron. How long do you give Floyd to field a good team? I've stopped holding my breath.

I don't know if Floyd deserves all the beating, my opinion is to point my finger at Stull and his miserable campaign as AD. That is my opinion on the situation.

I'm always willing to put the blame on Stull because he is the mastermind who has been to loyal to Price and Floyd. He has turned off the fan base and it is showing by the declining attendance. There comes a time when the AD needs to be held accountable.

Reactions: Minerforlife
I'm always willing to put the blame on Stull because he is the mastermind who has been to loyal to Price and Floyd. He has turned off the fan base and it is showing by the declining attendance. There comes a time when the AD needs to be held accountable.

This is like watching a bad sequal all thats changed is the sport. Its unfathomable and inexcusable for Stull to make the same mistake twice.

So, just a quick numbers check as of right now. Based on the assumption that Omega HAS had his scholarship removed; by my count, we would have 11 scholarship players currently on the team for next year. This would include Kelvin Jones, Deon Barrett, and Tim Cameron. The story from UTEP regarding Moore's departure yesterday stated "Miners look to fill two vacancies in the starting backcourt heading into the April signing period." To me, this implies that Omega's scholarship is already up for grabs. If this was not the case, then we would only have one slot available for the April signing period. Nothing official out of Floyd, either way, so we will assume Omega is indeed off of his ride for next year.

That said, I don't believe that Moore's departure was that much of a shocker to the staff. Similar to Hunter last year, my understanding is that Moore had already left school to "prepare" for the draft\pro ball. We have heard very little with regard to specific recruiting visits, other than the aborted one from Reinhardt, and the one by Bol. Like last year, it will be interesting to see what the staff comes up with in the late signing period. Based on some the guys we have offered late, I think there is cause for some concern. I would be pleasantly surprised to see one guy signed tomorrow on the start of the late signing period.
Floyd was referring to Morris he said that!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT