ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball rumors

As long as they don't hire an agent, players can now enter the draft, go through the NBA Draft Combine and one team workout, and then pull back out of the draft if they choose. This allows a player to get in front of NBA people, get feedback, and then make a decision.

Players have to declare by April 24th, and have until May 25th to pull out of the draft if they want to return to college.
Sounds like that is what Moore is doing. Hopefully that is what he's doing. He's good, but no way nba ready.

With one, and possibly two, year(s) of eligibility remaining, it would make much more sense for him to return to UTEP and at least give it one more year. If he has any draft stock, he'd stand a better chance of improving it with another year of college ball. I also remember making these same statements a year ago about Hunter. Problem for Moore? He's certainly no Vince Hunter, and even he failed to be drafted. He's hurting both himself and UTEP by leaving. He's wise not to hire an agent.

Basketball student-athletes may enter a professional league’s draft once during their college career without jeopardizing their eligibility as long as they are not drafted by a professional team and as long as they declare their intention to resume playing for their college team before the first day of the spring signing period, typically in April.

http://www.ncaa.org/remaining-eligible-professional-draft-inquirieshttp://www.ncaa.org/remaining-eligible-professional-draft-inquiries

If Moore does kick the NBA tires as described here, and then ends up coming back, next season is likely his last year at UTEP.

Romine and Harris are not players I'll lose sleep over. Good luck to Romine as he transfers but he was going to have a hard time finding playing time at UTEP. As for Omega if he doesn't understand he's a student athlete and continues to under preform in the classroom it's best to cut ties. Good way to send a message to the rest of the team. If there's disciplinary issues with him get him out before he influences other players. Time is running out for Floyd, he needs to right the ship.

GO MINERS!

clint_ew.gif

Reactions: FeralFelidae
Credit to WestTxNA3 for the correct info. Looks like the Coaching Staff is trying to find a replacement for Omega. If they can find one, then he is gone. Whether or not Omega gets his scholarship back will be determined by who the Staff is able to find and get to sign.

Floyd's entire tenure here as Head Coach has been filled with 3 things: 1.) Disapointing news regarding departures and/or non-qualifiers. 2.) Constant rebuilding. 3.). No Post Season success. Plain and simple; Floyd has not been able to do what the 3 previous Head Coaches before him were able to do here.

I know that Kugler isn't perfect, but the continuous 7 years of constant turnover from our Basketball Program really makes me appreciate the way that Kugler is building his Program even more. I go back and look at Kugler's Recruiting Classes and the amount of kids that he has retained and kept eligible is outstanding, not to mention the Record High APR Scores that his kids have produced. I really feel that we are going to start seeing the benefits of that continuity, high character recruiting, and proper Program-Building soon. So at least we have football, UTEP has never really been a basketball school anyways right?(Insert yellow eyes-rolling smiley face here).

Last edited:
Can anyone remember the last time we had a nice, quiet, drama-free offseason? 2009?

I understand the frustration with the turnover and such. I am too. But as said, Lee Moore has decided to go pro, not Tim Floyd has decided Lee Moore should go pro. Could anyone here have predicted this when Moore signed? Neither could have Floyd. This is on Moore, 100%. Wish him the best on foreign land, because at best, that's where he's going to be making his money. No way he makes an NBA roster next year. As for Omega, by his 3rd year he should be leading by example. He knows what it takes to prepare for and compete at this level. Keeping the school guessing as to whether he's going to be eligible again is inexcusable at this point. If he'd rather have his own agenda and be the prima dona, by all means show him the door.

I know no one put a gun to Moore's head and forced him to go pro. My question is are we seeing a pattern? Players that could potentially end up on an nba roster would rather skip school and travel out of the country. Why can't Floyd convince them that staying until they graduate will increase their chance of getting into the NBA.

Most kids want to play professional ball in the states. Not halfway across the world. I could understand one or two kids here and there declaring early but this is more than just a few random players.

This is how crazy some of you have gotten!! There is absolutely no way to put this on Floyd at all, and yet there are soooo many trying to it's crazy!! There is nothing Floyd can do here!

everything points back to the coaching staff. bad relationships, bad recruiting, poor organization, disgruntled locker room.
I can go with the recruiting, but where is the proof of the bad relationships (don't include the Hamilton fiasco, that was one flakey family) and disgruntled locker room?

I can go with the recruiting, but where is the proof of the bad relationships (don't include the Hamilton fiasco, that was one flakey family) and disgruntled locker room?
When you have 3rd tier CC recruits come in for visits then they commit to schools like NIU, its indicative to me that they are getting negative information from other players here. No offense to NIU...

I understand the frustration with the turnover and such. I am too. But as said, Lee Moore has decided to go pro, not Tim Floyd has decided Lee Moore should go pro. Could anyone here have predicted this when Moore signed? Neither could have Floyd. This is on Moore, 100%. Wish him the best on foreign land, because at best, that's where he's going to be making his money. No way he makes an NBA roster next year. As for Omega, by his 3rd year he should be leading by example. He knows what it takes to prepare for and compete at this level. Keeping the school guessing as to whether he's going to be eligible again is inexcusable at this point. If he'd rather have his own agenda and be the prima dona, by all means show him the door.

This is how crazy some of you have gotten!! There is absolutely no way to put this on Floyd at all, and yet there are soooo many trying to it's crazy!! There is nothing Floyd can do here!

If Moore's departure, and Omega's potential departure, were isolated incidents, I'm sure that pretty much everyone on here would be pointing to the players as the complete problem, and not pointing their fingers at Floyd, The problem is that, when you look a the very large number of Floyd's recruits who have signed and never played in a game, or have suited up but never completed their eligibility, a very disturbing pattern emerges. Floyd and his staff are either not signing the right type of player, or the players have their issues with the staff. lieb's joke about the revolving door on the locker room is apropos.

This is not the end of the exodus. Other players won't be back as well. When you have guys leaving early like Hunter, who was a borderline NBA talent, that's one thing. But when guys are leaving early to go play in China? You are welcome to your opinion that all is well with our hoops program. I think the evidence strongly suggests that's not the case.

Edit: I will even agree that Moore leaving could have been driven by a bunch of factors. His family's financial situation, etc... It just becomes frustrating when so many player leave/arrive every off season.

Last edited:
Another thing that upsets me about the departures, is that Floyd stripped a great kid of a scholarship in Caldwell.

Maybe Moore wants to go to China and play for a coach who won't take away playing time for sneezing in practice. (Johnson said Winn was suspended a half for making a face in practice.)

Maybe we sign JaCardo Hawkins, Roman Silva, and Perris Hicks. That'll bring the fans back.

As of now, I just don't see next year's team winning the conference tourney and getting an NCAA bid which is the only way I see Floyd keeping his job. Floyd would have to have some pretty big rabbits under his sleeve to salvage the 2016-17 season. I'll be the jerk who starts this, but who replaces Floyd after next year? Retreads Tony Barbee or worse Billy Gillispie, or maybe take a chance on Greg Foster or out of left field Tim Hardaway?

How is that so??? Please explain!! How is it Tim floyds fault that lee Moore is turning pro? I'd love to hear that

How is that so??? Please explain!! How is it Tim floyds fault that lee Moore is turning pro? I'd love to hear that

It would fall on deaf ears, or blind eyes in this case, so taking the time wouldn't even be worth it. It's funny that you isolate situations rather than look objectively at the whole. If you can't figure this one out on your own, you are hopeless. But to each their own.

I do not think Tim Floyd is the ONLY reason he is turning pro, but there is absolutely an issue internally with the program. You can judge that by the good, young talent that we get usually leaves prematurely to go pro and get out of UTEP. I truly believe Vince Hunter would of stayed one, maybe two more years to develop as a complete player if there was not an issue in the locker room. I don't know if Floyd deserves all the beating, my opinion is to point my finger at Stull and his miserable campaign as AD. That is my opinion on the situation.

You CANNOT develop a consistent winning program without developing talent and giving players experience. You just can't do it. Even Kentucky who gets all the best players every year can't do it. They need at least some of their players to come back and get 2 or 3 years experience. This is the 4th or 5th year in a row we are starting from scratch. How much more of this will it take before somebody at UTEP admin figures it out?

I trust Floyd had a conversation with Moore to set expectations about how long he'd play if he came.

If their understanding was one year, that's on Floyd.

If their understanding was two years, but Moore decided he'd seen enough, that's on Floyd.

If their understanding was two years, but Moore and/or his family got into an unforeseen financial pinch, that's less on Floyd, although recruits who value getting a degree often stick better.

We'll likely never know...

I trust Floyd had a conversation with Moore to set expectations about how long he'd play if he came.

If their understanding was two years, but Moore decided he'd seen enough, that's on Floyd.

If their understanding was two years, but Moore and/or his family got into an unforeseen financial pinch, that's less on Floyd, although recruits who value getting a degree often stick better.

Again, this isn't just about Moore. Moore happens to be one of many that have come and done a 180 back out through the turnstile. The continuity just isn't there from year to year. If Moore was an isolated situation I don't think there would be much discontent about his departure, but him leaving early is not an isolated situation. At some point accountability has to come out in this picture. In my opinion that accountability falls squarely on the man running the (bb) show, CTF.

Last edited:
Again, this isn't just about Moore. Moore happens to be one of many that have come and done a 180 back out through the turnstile. The continuity just isn't there from year to year. If Moore was an isolated situation I don't think there would be much discontent about his departure, but him leaving early is not an isolated situation. At some point accountability has to come out bro the picture. In my opinion that accountability falls squarely on the man running the (bb) show, CTF.

I agree -- was attempting to respond to Purplefire.

Conversations? Understandings? Good grief, horn, do you REALLY believe that or are you just making stuff like this up as you go along?

And bottom line, is Moore REALLY the point? For whatever reason, despite having a tradition and a fan base second to none in the conference, despite having facilities second to none in the conference, despite having recruiting, staff, and salary budgets second to none in the conference, CTF cannot win basketball games, cannot win titles, and cannot get this program to the NIT, much less the Dance. And that in a one-bid conference that is weaker today than it was when he took over the program.

Isn't that really the point?

Reactions: Minerforlife
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT