ADVERTISEMENT

BB Halftime/T.O. Entertainment suggestions..

Maximus Miner

Rookie
Jul 1, 2005
I really did enjoy Elia's performance on Tuesday during halftime. Wow she is gorgeous as well. Too bad the attendance was low for the battle of I-10. Anyway I thought maybe the Athletic Dept. Should look into these ideas for the rest of the basketball games this season during halftime and timeouts.

1. Have students/fans compete for cash prizes/trips..etc. We hardly see that anymore
2. Bring back Pizza and Burrito Man. (who could forget that one incident with Burrito Man)
3. Bring back the Blimp that drops money (but no 1 dollar bills lol)
4. Have Quick Change return. They're always entertaining.
5. Get more local singers or even bands to perform (all types of music would be welcome to get the crowd going)
6. One more thing and I don't want to be mean but sorry I don't want to see the five male gold diggers dance. They can stay with the group and do the other usual stuff but please no more of that!

I know there is only so much you can do in 10 minutes but you could spread all this out for the remaining home schedule. This has got to be better than what we've seen these last few years.

Last edited:
Not bad ideas, but a few issues come up. Remember these promotions are all paid for by sponsors. Pizza Man was a Peter Piper Pizza promotion from back in my early student days. We all know Papa John's is now a major sponsor and does that half-off deal whenever UTEP wins. Also, I don't know if you remember, but Pizza Man used to carry actual pizzas and would get totally mugged by fans when he tried to run up the stairs to give pizzas to people in higher rows. Eventually he began throwing frisbees instead and EVERY time he ran out fans upset that they weren't chosen would boo and some would chant "Pizza Hut".

The Blockbuster Blimp used to drop free movie rentals, which is obsolete today. I imagine a cash grab would cause a riot.

I remember the days of the long distance shots for money and prizes. I guess that's feasible as long as there's a sponsor who will foot the bill.

Most of what you're suggesting would involve marketing more so than the athletic department (though they're in the same office area). I'd like to see more singers, which isn't EASY but not impossible, myself.

As far as the golddiggers, I know Edwin is graduating so there's one gone next year. Christian is the one everyone knows and I think he'll be back next season. In my student days I became used to the traditional drill/dance teams where there were no men in the programs. Times have changed.

I like your suggestions though. Usually I just hear/read a lot of complaining and griping with no solutions offered. Of course, a lot of the promotions are arranged months in advance so I don't think a whole lot can change in the next few weeks.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Good stuff from both of you, Maximus and Cube.

I'm of the belief that you gotta spend money to make money (increase attendance). This athletic department is letting things slowly go down the drain. It is a critical time and the department needs to be more innovative and take a few calculated risks to reverse the direction we are headed in. If that means increasing marketing efforts to make the whole game experience more enjoyable, then it should be done, imo.

This may be a moot point anyway, if the Miners aren't competitive though.

It is akward when the male Gold Diggers are doing these female dance routines with all the hip and booty shaking. Why can't they just alter the routine for them since they're males? I've never once seen a male cheerleader do the girl routine, ie being held up in the air by someone or with pom poms.

I think the guys are cool, they have a lot of enthusiasm. To be honest I hated on it at first a couple years ago but those guys steal the show.

Overall I just think marketing is lazy or had their budget slashed. Not sure since I dont work there. Id guess lazy plays a large role though

Reactions: UTEP05
As far as the golddiggers, I know Edwin is graduating so there's one gone next year. Christian is the one everyone knows and I think he'll be back next season. In my student days I became used to the traditional drill/dance teams where there were no men in the programs. Times have changed.

You seem to know a lot of about them.

I know it's not very PC to say, but I really don't care. The golddiggers should only be females. I realize that the guys probably are better overall dancers, but honestly, that's not what the general public wants to see. When you think dancers, you sure as heck aren't thinking MALE dancers. Just sayin...

How about passing out instructions on what to do, how, and when.....like how many people know to do the picks up when we shoot free throws? Who knows that when we STAND FOR DEFENSE, that means we are supposed to clap and chat defense? Currently we stand there praying the other team scores so we can sit down.

Get the band involved and having fun....they will in turn get the fans involved....

Get the students more involved.....free pizza giveaways nightly is always a good thing...

Win more games....#firefloyd

I know it's not very PC to say, but I really don't care. The golddiggers should only be females. I realize that the guys probably are better overall dancers, but honestly, that's not what the general public wants to see. When you think dancers, you sure as heck aren't thinking MALE dancers. Just sayin...

How about passing out instructions on what to do, how, and when.....like how many people know to do the picks up when we shoot free throws? Who knows that when we STAND FOR DEFENSE, that means we are supposed to clap and chat defense? Currently we stand there praying the other team scores so we can sit down.

Get the band involved and having fun....they will in turn get the fans involved....

Get the students more involved.....free pizza giveaways nightly is always a good thing...

Win more games....#firefloyd

I don't mind there being male dancers as long as they don't flaunt their homosexuality.

I will tell you this I just went to my First Lady bears game and that old dome Baylor has and that into they had blew utep men's intro totally away!! The had lights going off, smoke, video boards.... fun music .... was awesome!!

8106 described it well above.

"It is akward when the male Gold Diggers are doing these female dance routines with all the hip and booty shaking."

This? I don't know what's awkward about seeing guys dance for a few minutes at a basketball game. Why do you feel awkward?

"It is akward when the male Gold Diggers are doing these female dance routines with all the hip and booty shaking."

This? I don't know what's awkward about seeing guys dance for a few minutes at a basketball game. Why do you feel awkward?

I'll take your bait one more time:

It's a public venue and a family atmosphere where I would guess many fans don't want to see male dancers flaunting their apparent homosexuality.

You're comfortable with it, but I'm guessing many aren't. Maybe I'm wrong. What say other posters?

I'll take your bait one more time:

It's a public venue and a family atmosphere where I would guess many fans don't want to see male dancers flaunting their apparent homosexuality.

You're comfortable with it, but I'm guessing many aren't. Maybe I'm wrong. What say other posters?

I'm confused. It's a family atmosphere to see girls dance in tight outfits but it's not a family atmosphere to see gay men?

Yes, I'm comfortable enough with my own sexuality to see gay men dance for a few minutes. I have heard zero people complain about it. In fact, I heard many people comment that they like watching the men the most since they dance the best.

It's 2016. Most people support gay marriage and most people don't care if you're gay.

I'm confused. It's a family atmosphere to see girls dance in tight outfits but it's not a family atmosphere to see gay men?

Yes, I'm comfortable enough with my own sexuality to see gay men dance for a few minutes. I have heard zero people complain about it. In fact, I heard many people comment that they like watching the men the most since they dance the best.

It's 2016. Most people support gay marriage and most people don't care if you're gay.

I think the female dancers should keep it classy, too.

If you like seeing gay dancers, go to a gay nightclub.

More posters than not in this thread said it's too much.

I think the female dancers should keep it classy, too.

If you like seeing gay dancers, go to a gay nightclub.

More posters than not in this thread said it's too much.

Why would I go to a gay nightclub if I'm not gay? I enjoy seeing the guys dance for a few minutes and I think they're entertaining. Like I said, I'm comfortable enough with my own sexuality to watch them.

Well then the other people you associate with are also not comfortable with their sexuality. If it make you uncomfortable seeing guys dance for a few minutes at a basketball game, then you have issues.

Why would I go to a gay nightclub if I'm not gay? I enjoy seeing the guys dance for a few minutes and I think they're entertaining. Like I said, I'm comfortable enough with my own sexuality to watch them.

Well then the other people you associate with are also not comfortable with their sexuality. If it make you uncomfortable seeing guys dance for a few minutes at a basketball game, then you have issues.

I'm comfortable with my sexuality, but I don't enjoy watching them.

We've stated our views. Let's see what others think.

You agreed that it makes you "awkward".

I've been to sporting events all over the world and have never seen a display like ours. It doesn't make me feel awkward, it just seems a bit excessive is all.

I've been to sporting events all over the world and have never seen a display like ours. It doesn't make me feel awkward, it just seems a bit excessive is all.

Now you're backtracking.

Your words: "8106 described it well above."

8106's words: "It is akward when the male Gold Diggers are doing these female dance routines with all the hip and booty shaking"

What former member(s) used the exact same argument regarding one's comfort with their own sexuality? Hmm? That is my one pet peeve with mister music, chi, utep05. How does one come off being so self righteous and judgemental of others when that person has the character and integrity of...hell, coach Floyd himself! There is not one member here who doesn't know he's one and the same. To be kicked out, and return, and not have the integrity to just admit, "hey yeah, I'm back. So what?" Please chi, you have no business, none whatsoever, passing judgement on anyone else here. You're a flat out liar.

There, to the question posed by unihorn, I agree also that the male dancing is a bit over the top. I don't know or I don't agree that it has any or much effect on the family experience at the Don. I myself either look at the female dancers, or more often than not, check up on my phone. So, to each there own is my opinion.

Reactions: unihorn
What about during pre- game to get the crowd inside the Haskins Center and the Sun Bowl earlier? Right now C- USA's television partners are Bein Sports, CBS SPORTS, and ESPN. Try showing a game(s) that is in progress at least until the national anthem is played. There is too much dead time.

What about during pre- game to get the crowd inside the Haskins Center and the Sun Bowl earlier? Right now C- USA's television partners are Bein Sports, CBS SPORTS, and ESPN. Try showing a game(s) that is in progress at least until the national anthem is played. There is too much dead time.

What's the point of that? People could just stay home and watch the game on TV.

Also, ESPN is not a television partner with CUSA. American Sports Network is though.

I vote allminer to be Miner Digs's historian. He can tell you about every single post every member has ever made!

I vote allminer to be Miner Digs's historian. He can tell you about every single post every member has ever made!
Nope, just those that try to be self righteous and judgemental while being a big lie themselves. Look hard in the mirror bud, you have no room to speak of others, none liar.

I think it's sad you guys are hating on some male goldiggers. It be nice to not hate some college kids that are helping the university. They work hard and support the players and don't get their tuition paid for, for doing it. I think they get a small stipend for books. It may make feel some uncomfortable but that's on you. Never bring up that it's not family friendly if u think young women in tight skirts is but they aren't. That's just hypocritical

Reactions: develman and UTEP05
I think it's sad you guys are hating on some male goldiggers. It be nice to not hate some college kids that are helping the university. They work hard and support the players and don't get their tuition paid for, for doing it. I think they get a small stipend for books. It may make feel some uncomfortable but that's on you. Never bring up that it's not family friendly if u think young women in tight skirts is but they aren't. That's just hypocritical

I don't hate them. It's simply my personal opinion that they should tone it down.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT