ADVERTISEMENT

Bethune Cookman

JCorona

MI Miner Maniac
Jun 15, 2014

Teams that must travel more than 2 time zones to play at altitude typically don't do well. Plus the fact that they haven't played in 2 years is another strike against Cookman. I'm not a betting man (phych) but I'd put a ham and cheese sammich on this one.

I am totally
Guess who's the AD and basketball coach at Bethune-Cookman?

Go on, guess.
Theus can.....
go-fly-a-kite.gif

Potential trap game, Miners riding the high of beating NMSU. Dimel has shown he doesn’t go for the kill, they need to pound and pound it early…. Boise St looking good over UCF. Still undecided if I am going… anyone making the trip to Boise?

STEPHEN PEREZ | THE DAYTONA BEACH NEWS-JOURNAL | 13 hours ago

After nearly two years of no football, the Bethune-Cookman Wildcats are set to return to the field Saturday at UTEP.

Last year, the MEAC suspended athletics due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, prematurely ending the Wildcats' long history with the conference as they joined the Southwestern Athletic Conference (SWAC) this summer.

For head coach Terry Sims, it's a new conference, but the same mindset.

“Football is football,” he said. “Our group has had success against teams in the SWAC. It is going to be great to form new relationships and new rivalries moving forward.”

As the Wildcats get set to face the Miners at 9 p.m. tonight, here are some thoughts from Sims ahead of the

Welcome back!
As mentioned, the last time the Wildcats took the field was almost two years ago — Nov. 23, 2019 to be exact. That season ended the same the past nine have ended for B-CU — by beating rival Florida A&M, which also moved to the SWAC this year.

From that moment until June of 2020, the offseason was pretty normal. Then, last July, the conference suspended the season and players and coaches were left in limbo.

The team remained engaged with each other like everyone else did — daily Zoom calls and trips to the gym. By the time they returned for practice this fall, Sims said everyone was ready.

“We’ve been ready,” Sims said. “And ever since fall started and games have inched closer, the intensity and speed of practices has gone up a few more levels.”

Terry Sims and the Wildcats open the season Saturday in Texas.
Terry Sims and the Wildcats open the season Saturday in Texas.
ROMEO T GUZMAN/BCU ATHLETICS
Bethune-Cookman players to watch
Like most programs, the big names for the Wildcat fans to look for are in the quarterback room. As is the case most years under Sims, don't be surprised to see the 'Cats use a two-quarterback system.

Devin Black, the senior out of Ruskin, has seen limited action in the past but is growing into the role. Also in the mix is Shannon Patrick, a transfer from Arkansas-Pine Bluff who comes in with a combined 2,906 passing yards and 25 touchdowns over two years.

”They all come in and put in the work everyday,” Sims said. “Now it just comes down to who will go out there and be productive when it matters most.”

If you're headed to the Sun 😎 Bowl 🏟️, you might want to take the rain 🌧️ gear:

If you're headed to the Sun 😎 Bowl 🏟️, you might want to take the rain 🌧️ gear:
The Oline has been pretty good since last year giving good pass protection. NMSU did have a few, what appeared to be disguised blitzes with one resulting in a UTEP T.O. but good pass blocking. Run blocking was better but for a Dimel led RPO, they do better pass blocking.

Damn our offense sucks. Play calling sucks. QB accuracy sucks. Urgency sucks. Desire to power inferior teams suck. My desire to keep watching UTEP football sucks.

We are gonna get clobbered by a Boise St team having a down year....guaranteed
Wouldn’t bet on that. Boise collapsed on Friday night. We are playing down to our competition

Dismel doesn’t act like a coach, think like a coach, calls plays like a coaching looks like a coach. This is why Senter will extend his contract.

Reactions: shyminer81
Can't believe ESPN or whoever isn't able to show "downs and yardage". Kinda Bush League.
Texas State had issues with audio last night and main dude took the blame. I’m sure students produce these, but I’m thinking you can get high school AV club students with better camera skills and graphics packages.

By the way, in case you missed it, Dimel did invoke the name of Kansas St in his presser. Something along the lines of playing to the level of the competition as did some of the best Kansas St teams he coached for. Didn't want anyone to think Dimel had forgotten that he used to be the OC at Kansas St. I said Kansas St in case you didn't hear me.

By the way, in case you missed it, Dimel did invoke the name of Kansas St in his presser. Something along the lines of playing to the level of the competition as did some of the best Kansas St teams he coached for. Didn't want anyone to think Dimel had forgotten that he used to be the OC at Kansas St. I said Kansas St in case you didn't hear me.

Does Cher still talk about Sonny? Asking for a friend.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT