ADVERTISEMENT

Big12 takes Houston, UCF, BYU and Cincinnati….

Nobody is currently getting poached from the MWC (I'm still amazed the Big 12 wanted nothing to do with Boise), so there just might not be any openings there. I presume the American will try to replace the teams that are leaving, but I don't think the American is any better than the MWC with the teams that are leaving, so I doubt they poach anybody from the MWC; anybody they poach will probably come from CUSA or the Sun Belt.

Reactions: utep-piggy
"The Big 12 Conference Board of Directors this morning voted to extend membership invitations to Brigham Young University, the University of Central Florida, the University of Cincinnati, and the University of Houston to join the Conference.

Today’s actions were in accordance with Big 12 Conference Bylaw 1.5.2.b.3 requiring an affirmative vote of a supermajority of Directors, and was approved unanimously by the eight continuing members.

As necessary, institutional Boards will be in session today to act on Big 12 Conference membership. Videoconference announcements with Big 12 Board of Directors Chairman and Texas Tech University President Lawrence Schovanec, Big 12 Commissioner Bob Bowlsby, and campus representatives are scheduled today at the following times:

Houston – 11:00 a.m. CT
BYU – 11:30 a.m. CT
UCF – 2:45 p.m. CT
Cincinnati – 3:30 p.m. CT"

https://big12sports.com/news/2021/9/10/conference-big-12-extends-membership-invitations.aspx

We’re basically Div2 at this point anyway, just without the classification. I don’t think anyone really differentiates cusa from the Southland Conf, or SAC anymore. We just like to pretend they do…
Correct. The typical UTEP fan will attend the games whether FIU or Tarleton St is the opponent. Nobody is attending a UTEP game to see FIU, FAU, Middle Tennessee, or Old Dominion. Once Memphis, Houston, and SMU left, conference opponents just became interchangeable.

Nobody is currently getting poached from the MWC (I'm still amazed the Big 12 wanted nothing to do with Boise), so there just might not be any openings there. I presume the American will try to replace the teams that are leaving, but I don't think the American is any better than the MWC with the teams that are leaving, so I doubt they poach anybody from the MWC; anybody they poach will probably come from CUSA or the Sun Belt.

I'll take Boise any day. It's their loss and I mean that seriously.

Only economically sensible team to poach from CUSA is UAB. It's a good medical research school, (old) rival of Memphis and competitive in major revenue sports.

Boise is too tough on the pocket book for travel if you get right down to it and will they bring more eyeballs to the TV any given football or basketball season? I just don't see anyone taking Boise this go round.

Maybe if we beat Boise tonight (in which case we'll also beat New Mexico), that would turn some heads in the MWC.
MW has invited once or twice, have they not? Utah State took UTEP's slot when Natalicio wouldn't approve the million dollar CUSA clause to leave, right? (Uncle Bob was still AD)

We’re basically Div2 at this point anyway, just without the classification. I don’t think anyone really differentiates cusa from the Southland Conf, or SAC anymore. We just like to pretend they do…

Correct. The typical UTEP fan will attend the games whether FIU or Tarleton St is the opponent. Nobody is attending a UTEP game to see FIU, FAU, Middle Tennessee, or Old Dominion. Once Memphis, Houston, and SMU left, conference opponents just became interchangeable.

Winner! Winner! Chicken Dinner!
We don't have the money to compete with mid majors, let alone the blue bloods. We are the CUSA Titanic captain. We will go down with the ship...unless someone is dumb enough to offer us a lifeline like when we were in the WAC...

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
Winner! Winner! Chicken Dinner!
We don't have the money to compete with mid majors, let alone the blue bloods. We are the CUSA Titanic captain. We will go down with the ship...unless someone is dumb enough to offer us a lifeline like when we were in the WAC...
Back then, UTEP had upside and wasn’t the bottom feeder we are now. Moving to CUSA at the time, was absolutely the right call. Once we got there though, that’s when UTEP was content with mediocrity and didn’t push their athletics department like Houston, SMU, and UCF.

MW has invited once or twice, have they not? Utah State took UTEP's slot when Natalicio wouldn't approve the million dollar CUSA clause to leave, right? (Uncle Bob was still AD)
I have never seen any solid evidence of that happening, but it has certainly been a persistent rumor on these boards. I think there was one article where Kap referred to the rumor but, even there, it was reported as rumor, and that's the only evidence in print that I have seen anywhere.

I'd love to know the truth of this, and every time I've seen the rumor brought up, I've asked for evidence, which is never forthcoming.

Hey @kappy600, whaddya know?

Back then, UTEP had upside and wasn’t the bottom feeder we are now. Moving to CUSA at the time, was absolutely the right call. Once we got there though, that’s when UTEP was content with mediocrity and didn’t push their athletics department like Houston, SMU, and UCF.

Mediocrity? Your are too kind. UTEP hasn't even tried since... the early 2000s?

Hold on everybody. The Big 12 hired Oliver Luck to help them navigate expansion and it was successful Reports are that CUSA is hiring Jim Delaney, former Big 10 commish, to help our conference thru these dire straights. After CUSA is picked over and the conference needs a school or, he will collect his fee and point to NMSU and NAU.

Hold on everybody. The Big 12 hired Oliver Luck to help them navigate expansion and it was successful Reports are that CUSA is hiring Jim Delaney, former Big 10 commish, to help our conference thru these dire straights. After CUSA is picked over and the conference needs a school or, he will collect his fee and point to NMSU and NAU.
And we all know how well Oliver Luck managed the XFL into the premier football league in North American, surpassing the NFL.

• Haha
Reactions: FarWestTexas
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT