• UTSA

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Rice

Votes: 10 58.8%

• Total voters

NoNCAAWinsSince1992

MI Miner Maniac
Nov 12, 2019
Who do you consider to be a bigger athletic rival of UTEP, UTSA or Rice?

Rice joined the WAC in 1996 and joined CUSA when we did.

UTSA joined CUSA in 2013.

Can there be a neither option? If I had to choose one of em, I'd say UTSA due to the many similarities (UT schools, similar populations, battle of who has the best tacos, etc.)

Yeah Rice and UTEP have been conference mates but man both have sucked for some time now. Maybe a few MBB games since '96 have been ok. FB is an absolute black hole for both Rice and UTEP as each fight each other to ring that cobwebbed victory bell each yr.

For those reasons:, I'd say UTSA.

Can there be a neither option? If I had to choose one of em, I'd say UTSA due to the many similarities (UT schools, similar populations, battle of who has the best tacos, etc.)

Yeah Rice and UTEP have been conference mates but man both have sucked for some time now. Maybe a few MBB games since '96 have been ok. FB is an absolute black hole for both Rice and UTEP as each fight each other to ring that cobwebbed victory bell each yr.

That’s right, neither is probably the overall answer. But it’s just a choice between these two. As there is a poster here who claims UTSA is a bigger rival than NMSU. Which most of us know is not true. I would say most Miner fans would consider Rice a bigger rival between the two.

Reactions: Autograph Boy

The answer is neither, but that's not what the poll is asking.

It's like saying which burger is better- McDonald's or Burger King. Wendy's might be your favorite, but you can still say Burger King is better than McDonald's.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
What a dumbass. You start a stupid poll that can easily be manipulated. This is why most of the board has you blocked.

My goodness, maybe it's the Covid-locked in syndrome but I am always shocked just how quick folks are to revert to name-calling, anger and bullying. Pretty sad.

If you don't like the poll, you can be civil and say man this poll isn't so great and idk maybe offer what you can determine to be "an amazing poll". Complaining for the sake of complaining is the definition of a circle jerk.

Nothing more scientific than an internet poll.

Okay man. You’re the only one who claims that UTSA is a rival. They’re not and they’re not even a bigger rival than Rice. They play in a shithole arena and have never accomplished anything in basketball or football. It may just be an internet poll with only 13 votes, but I guarantee it’s how the whole fan base feels. You can bring up politics, academics, money, and whatever else, off the field. It doesn’t matter. They’re not a rival, neither is Rice, but Rice is viewed as a bigger rival than UTSA.

You can start your own poll of UTSA vs NMSU, but you won’t because it would be a landslide win for NMSU.

Okay man. You’re the only one who claims that UTSA is a rival. They’re not and they’re not even a bigger rival than Rice. They play in a shithole arena and have never accomplished anything in basketball or football. It may just be an internet poll with only 13 votes, but I guarantee it’s how the whole fan base feels. You can bring up politics, academics, money, and whatever else, off the field. It doesn’t matter. They’re not a rival, neither is Rice, but Rice is viewed as a bigger rival than UTSA.

You can start your own poll of UTSA vs NMSU, but you won’t because it would be a landslide win for NMSU.

100% agree
However, it wouldn't be too far out to think UTEP and UTSA should be rivals. Both have "UT" in the name
Both have a high majority of Hispanic students
El Paso is much more similar culturally to south Texas than any other region of the state.

100% agree
However, it wouldn't be too far out to think UTEP and UTSA should be rivals. Both have "UT" in the name
Both have a high majority of Hispanic students
El Paso is much more similar culturally to south Texas than any other region of the state.

I agree as well. If people want to say that UTSA will be a big rival in 10-25 years, I am okay with that sentiment. I hope they are, as we need those rivalries. But there’s one guy, who is saying right now, that UTEP and UTSA are not only rivals, but more so than NMSU. I don’t believe that for one second. He just refuses to relent on that opinion. It’s dumb and he’s clueless.

I agree as well. If people want to say that UTSA will be a big rival in 10-25 years, I am okay with that sentiment. I hope they are, as we need those rivalries. But there’s one guy, who is saying right now, that UTEP and UTSA are not only rivals, but more so than NMSU. I don’t believe that for one second. He just refuses to relent on that opinion. It’s dumb and he’s clueless.

NMSU is UTEP's biggest rival at the moment; vast majority of people would say that. UTSA has potential to be but if that individual believes so, peace. It's a good discussion.

NMSU for sure. Even though we aren't in the same conference anymore, where do UNM and Arizona rank on the rival list?

NMSU
UNM
Then far down the list Arizona.

Arizona has the potential to one day be a rival of UTEP as well as many of the southwest schools if only UTEP partners to schedule more games (key word) consistently with them. It would help if UTEP beat Arizona, UNM at both football and basketball but we all know that hasnt happened in a while.

UNM I feel is below NMSU and above Rice and UTSA (so in second place if you're scoring at home). If UTEP continues to schedule UNM for basketball as well as football, that in my opinion would be better.

My vision would be to have UTEP compete and battle with a lot of the southwest schools. Schedule games against the schools in AZ, CO, NM, Utah and add in a few schools like Texas Tech, UTSA, and the occasional throw-us-a-bone game against Texas. In order for this vision to even begin to take shape, UTEP desperately needs to clean their own house first and beat the teams on our current schedule which sadly has been hard to come by.

Reactions: ElPasoDesert
This is just my opinion. On paper it’s easy to show why it’s RICE. We have a lengthy history with them. Going back to the WAC days to getting left behind in CUSA 3.0. As someone who attends a lot of road games, I have to say UTSA always feels more like a rivalry. Their fans talk smack outside in the tailgate scene, on social media, and inside during the game. When I go to UTSA games, it feels very similar to attending a UNM game. It always feels like Miner fans cheer extra loud at UTSA games. I absolutely do not want to lose to them. Sadly two years ago I witnessed our football team lose for the first time in SA. Their fans were rubbing it in afterwards

RICE just has the nicest people for fans. It’s very hard to consider them a rival when we never hear much from them. The atmosphere at RICE games is laid back. Even the UTEP fans that show up are less vocal.

Overall neither is really a rival until we beat them when it matters.

NMSU for sure. Even though we aren't in the same conference anymore, where do UNM and Arizona rank on the rival list?

1. NMSU
2. UNM
3. Wyoming
4. BYU
5. Utah
6. Everyone else

The way it used to be. The way it should be. Natural, geographical rivals that we can get excited about. And yes, I would love to someday add Arizona / Arizona State but that is about as likely to happen as adding UT as a "rival."

This is just my opinion. On paper it’s easy to show why it’s RICE. We have a lengthy history with them. Going back to the WAC days to getting left behind in CUSA 3.0. As someone who attends a lot of road games, I have to say UTSA always feels more like a rivalry. Their fans talk smack outside in the tailgate scene, on social media, and inside during the game. When I go to UTSA games, it feels very similar to attending a UNM game. It always feels like Miner fans cheer extra loud at UTSA games. I absolutely do not want to lose to them. Sadly two years ago I witnessed our football team lose for the first time in SA. Their fans were rubbing it in afterwards

RICE just has the nicest people for fans. It’s very hard to consider them a rival when we never hear much from them. The atmosphere at RICE games is laid back. Even the UTEP fans that show up are less vocal.

Overall neither is really a rival until we beat them when it matters.

That makes sense, thanks for your input. Rivalries don’t happen overnight. Aside from proximity, frequency and length build rivalries too. When you mix in similar strength of teams, then you get a real rivalry.

The NMSU v UTEP rivalry is a rivalry because both teams have a solid basketball tradition. So when both teams typically play, they’re both good. If NMSU had a trash program, the rivalry wouldn’t be a big deal because we would be kicking their ass all the time. Good teams, make good games.

When it comes to football, the game is huge, as most seasons that is an opportunity for the other to beat a FBS team. Neither school gets many of those every year. The Rice and UTSA games just don’t have that big game feel. The last time I felt we had a real rivalry brewing was Nevada basketball. Maybe Memphis could have got there, but CUSA ****ed it up and never scheduled us twice a year.

Nevada and Memphis were only that way because all of us were good. When you don’t win, and the other team is similar, it’s just another game. Especially when the arena/stadium is 25% full.

NMSU
UNM
Then far down the list Arizona.

Arizona has the potential to one day be a rival of UTEP as well as many of the southwest schools if only UTEP partners to schedule more games (key word) consistently with them. It would help if UTEP beat Arizona, UNM at both football and basketball but we all know that hasnt happened in a while.

UNM I feel is below NMSU and above Rice and UTSA (so in second place if you're scoring at home). If UTEP continues to schedule UNM for basketball as well as football, that in my opinion would be better.

My vision would be to have UTEP compete and battle with a lot of the southwest schools. Schedule games against the schools in AZ, CO, NM, Utah and add in a few schools like Texas Tech, UTSA, and the occasional throw-us-a-bone game against Texas. In order for this vision to even begin to take shape, UTEP desperately needs to clean their own house first and beat the teams on our current schedule which sadly has been hard to come by.

I like all the schools you mentioned except maybe UT and Texas Tech. Culturally we are different schools and have very little in common. IMO they don't think about UTEP, much less consider us a rival.

I kinda like this map that shows different regions in the United States:

https://www.businessinsider.com/the-11-nations-of-the-united-states-2015-7

I feel "El Norte" and "Far West" are similar and most of the regions east of us (minus "Yankeedom") are more football loving, bible belt, southern baptist, conservatives. I'm not sure if I would place El Paso in any of those categories LOL.

I like all the schools you mentioned except maybe UT and Texas Tech. Culturally we are different schools and have very little in common. IMO they don't think about UTEP, much less consider us a rival.

I kinda like this map that shows different regions in the United States:

https://www.businessinsider.com/the-11-nations-of-the-united-states-2015-7

I feel "El Norte" and "Far West" are similar and most of the regions east of us (minus "Yankeedom") are more football loving, bible belt, southern baptist, conservatives. I'm not sure if I would place El Paso in any of those categories LOL.

Fair enough on Tech and UT. I had placed them as Texas Tech is always a good draw in attendance and t.u. because of the whole Texas System. Agreed that neither of those schools consider UTEP to be in their stratosphere.

Very interesting map as it would indicate a horizontal growth versus vertical. That would include UNM (can squeeze them in), NMSU, ASU, Arizona, SDSU. Culturally speaking, those would be a good draw. I like this hypothetical with the only con I initially see is that it would not include many other schools. Having said that it could be a case where less is better.

Reactions: ElPasoDesert
Texas Tech may feel like it has rival undertones for UTEP fans because of El Pasoans who go there and come back thinking they're special... even the ones who don't graduate.

It's also a power conference school we've had some close games with in basketball... and play better against than Texas in football... but that doesn't make them a rival, as their non-El Paso fans don't give two shits about us.

Also laughable to think Wyoming, Utah, BYU still care about us. Only die hards 35 and up even have a clue.

PS--I don't know how anyone in their right mind could think of Arizona as being anything close to a rival. Nice idea, nowhere close to reality. Maybe Grand Canyon if we started like a 5-year, 10 game series in basketball.

That makes sense, thanks for your input. Rivalries don’t happen overnight. Aside from proximity, frequency and length build rivalries too. When you mix in similar strength of teams, then you get a real rivalry.

The NMSU v UTEP rivalry is a rivalry because both teams have a solid basketball tradition. So when both teams typically play, they’re both good. If NMSU had a trash program, the rivalry wouldn’t be a big deal because we would be kicking their ass all the time. Good teams, make good games.

When it comes to football, the game is huge, as most seasons that is an opportunity for the other to beat a FBS team. Neither school gets many of those every year. The Rice and UTSA games just don’t have that big game feel. The last time I felt we had a real rivalry brewing was Nevada basketball. Maybe Memphis could have got there, but CUSA ****ed it up and never scheduled us twice a year.

Nevada and Memphis were only that way because all of us were good. When you don’t win, and the other team is similar, it’s just another game. Especially when the arena/stadium is 25% full.

Did you just attend aggy, or get a degree?

One of the biggest conference home games I remember is the 2000 WAC game against RICE. I don’t think no atmosphere will ever come close

I agree. The only game close to that for me is 2005 vs UNM thats the best atmosphere I've seen in the Sun Bowl.

Hopefully one day we'll see another victory in the Sun Bowl that clinches a share of a conference championship like in 2000.

Last edited:
Also laughable to think Wyoming, Utah, BYU still care about us. Only die hards 35 and up even have a clue.

Apologies for misunderstanding this thread and not sticking to the topic of "who still cares about UTEP." I thought it had evolved into a discussion about who UTEP has/had "rivalries" with. How dumb of me to think that we once had incredible rivalries with Wyoming, BYU, and Utah. My goodness, what was I thinking?!

PS--I don't know how anyone in their right mind could think of Arizona as being anything close to a rival. Nice idea, nowhere close to reality. Maybe Grand Canyon if we started like a 5-year, 10 game series in basketball.

I was just curious where Arizona stood on the rival totem pole. We have played them 52
times in football and they're our closest P5 school.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
One of the biggest conference home games I remember is the 2000 WAC game against RICE. I don’t think no atmosphere will ever come close to that.

The UT game in 2008 had a good atmosphere throughout the first quarter. Would have been even better if we had beat Buffalo the week before. The Tulsa game in 05 was pretty electric as well. Nothing close to that since.

The UT game in 2008 had a good atmosphere throughout the first quarter. Would have been even better if we had beat Buffalo the week before. The Tulsa game in 05 was pretty electric as well. Nothing close to that since.

It should be an unwritten rule UTEP never plays and football game against a team from New York. The home in home with Buffalo horrific. The home and home with Army horrific. It took a miracle to beat Stoney Brook in OT. If Syracuse wants a game or Albany is looking for a pay day the answer should be hell no.

It should be an unwritten rule UTEP never plays and football game against a team from New York. The home in home with Buffalo horrific. The home and home with Army horrific. It took a miracle to beat Stoney Brook in OT. If Syracuse wants a game or Albany is looking for a pay day the answer should be hell no.

UTEP signed home and homes with Buffalo, Kansas, and Army. All sucked when they were signed, all were significantly better when we played them.

I think we have a series with SJSU coming up, they’ll probably win 10 games the seasons we play them.

UTEP signed home and homes with Buffalo, Kansas, and Army. All sucked when they were signed, all were significantly better when we played them.

I think we have a series with SJSU coming up, they’ll probably win 10 games the seasons we play them.

Kansas canceled their home game from the series. I was hoping we would get a chance to go there and break the streak but it wasn't, but it wasn't to be. All for the best we probably would have got embarrassed by 1-11 jayhawk team. Or they would wanted to play in 2022 ines mile's fourth season when I'm sure they'll be good.

The home game to finish the home in home with UNLV doesnt look promising.. Hopefully by then we'll have invested in our program like they jave.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT