ADVERTISEMENT

Bob Stull e-mail

mikesarabia

All Star
Oct 28, 2006
I received this e-mail from "Bob Stull" today:

MAC-Orange-Alert-12-19.jpg

Dear Miner fans,

As you know this has been a difficult year for UTEP basketball, and no one is more frustrated than coach Keitha Adams, coach Tim Floyd and our players.

In the previous three seasons (2013-16) coach Adams produced two 29-win campaigns, but the loss of seven seniors has made this a rebuilding year. In the previous three seasons coach Floyd’s Miners registered 23, 22 and 19 victories, but this year they lost three of their most talented and productive players.

Both coaches have averaged 20 wins a season since they took the helm of the program. Twenty wins used to be a good barometer for getting a team into the NCAA Tournament, but now the only way to guarantee a bid is to win the conference tournament. This is true for all the “Group of Five” conferences – C-USA, AAC, MAC, Mountain West and the Sun Belt. Only one team from the “Group of Five” received an at-large bid last year, and that came from the AAC.

We are fortunate that we have a basketball-savvy fan base that cares and expects to be playing for championships. I want to thank all of you who continue to support our coaches and team during this difficult period. We have led the conference in attendance every year, which gives us a chance to win at home and also attract top recruits. Which, I am pleased to say, has gone well.

Coach Floyd has signed seven new players for next year. One, Evan Gilyard from Chicago, is listed by Rivals.com as one of the biggest steals of the early signing period. He scored 32 points on 13 shots in a recent game in Memphis. Other recruits include Kobe Magee (outstanding guard from San Antonio, ranked #10 recruit in Texas), burly 6’9” forward Tirus Smith, smooth 6’7” junior college forward Roderick Williams, and two players currently enrolled at UTEP in 6’7” guard Isiah Osborne and 6’8” forward Trey Wade. Coach Adams has seven freshmen that are supremely talented but lacking college experience. They are getting better each day.

I can assure you that both Coach Adams and Coach Floyd are working harder than ever to get UTEP back on the winning road. We have great young men and women on our teams that are giving their best each day in practice to improve. I am asking our fans to continue to support these student-athletes in the same passionate manner that visiting teams have come to expect– making the Don Haskins Center one of the toughest places to play in college basketball! Strong fan support and a loud Haskins Center is what we need to help get back on track.

We will continue to do all we can to enhance the game-day experience. I hope to see you at the Haskins Center for all the games, but keep an eye out especially for the men’s games versus UTSA on Jan. 21 (halftime performance by Air Elite Dunk team) and UAB on Feb. 2 (Jeep Jackson Tribute Night).

Thanks again for your support and Go Miners!

Bob Stull

"We have led the conference in attendance every year, which gives us a chance to win at home and also attract top recruits"

Yeah when the rest of the conference is averaging about only 3-4k at the most. I'm sorry I just can't help but laugh at that. Also if we had top recruits then we wouldn't be in this situation, now would we!I Hope Kappy reads this on air tomorrow on his show.

We have led the conference in attendance every year, which gives us a chance to win at home and also attract top recruits.

Ok yet we are 43-20 at home in the last three and a half seasons. With some very embarrassing losses. La Tech who doesn't lead the conference in attendance or come close to it is 56-4 at home during that same time period.

Complaining about being in a one bid league would be valid if you were the second best team in said league. The problem is UTEP hasn't sniffed 2nd place or had an RPI even close to being considered. That argument only flies if you had a high RPI but were passed over by a team from another league. This has not been remotely the case.

That letter is an insult to UTEP fans and to Keitha Adams. She has a down year and Stull throws her under the same bus as the guy who has driven that program into the ground. Unlike Adams, Floyd has under-performed and over-complained since the day one. If you're a fan, at what point do you say "enough"?

Last edited:
That letter is an insult to UTEP fans and to Keitha Adams. She has a down year and Stull throws her under the same bus as the guy who has driven that program into the ground. He's under-performed and over-complained since the day one. If you're a fan, at what point do you say "enough"?

And Jenzel Nash was suspended as well. That certainly didn't help. Also, Keitha doesn't blame her losses on anybody else.

Women's basketball has much more of a beef. With a smaller talent pool and 15 scholarships, it's so top heavy it's impossible to build a midmajor. And Keitha has done a phenomenal job.

This email is proof that Bob Stull is the problem not Floyd. Fire him and hire an AD with some energy and ambition and our athletic department would improve. Floyd would be gone and not just because of this season. He should have been canned a couple of years ago for his lackluster results. Our MBB program deserves better than him.

I'm fu&$ing tired of bs thinking and assuming we are stupid or something. The AAC had four bids to the NCAA TOURNAMENT last season. It would have been five had SMU not been ineligible.
Plus why is he naming only FBS conferences? Other mid-major conferences also received at-large bids; AAC 3 at large, A10 2, MVC 1 and many years the MWC receives 1 or more at large bids. Bob Stull if full of it.

The obvious flaw in his email is that most of the "cavalry" he mentioned is not going to make it to campus. They will quite, develop a family illness, get an "attitude" problem or some other issue that will keep them away and we will be in this same position next year.

The obvious flaw in his email is that most of the "cavalry" he mentioned is not going to make it to campus. They will quite, develop a family illness, get an "attitude" problem or some other issue that will keep them away and we will be in this same position next year.

The other problem is that they aren't the "cavalry". They're young players with an average level of talent and miniscule upside.

Seriously though, who the f@#k calls a recruiting class that is likely ranked out of the top 100 "the cavalry"?

I guess I shouldn't have said "likely". We are ranked 119th by 247. That puts us behind powerhouses like Delaware, Hampton, Houston baptist, and NMSU.

We are however ranked ahead of eastern Kentucky and UC Santa Barbara. Whoohoo!

Brace yourselves gents, the cavalry is coming!!

bravado.jpg

Last edited:
Plus why is he naming only FBS conferences? Other mid-major conferences also received at-large bids; AAC 3 at large, A10 2, MVC 1 and many years the MWC receives 1 or more at large bids. Bob Stull if full of it.

Is Stull really that out of touch? I can't imagine he thought he could pull the wool over such a "savvy" fanbase's eyes. One at-large bid for G5 reps? Give me a break! Try 6. "BS" stands for more than just his initials. What a fukking moron he is.

Reactions: USAFminersfan
The other problem is that they aren't the "cavalry". They're young players with an average level of talent and miniscule upside.

Seriously though, who the f@#k calls a recruiting class that is likely ranked out of the top 100 "the cavalry"?

We can look at this year's "calvalry" of freshman to see how flawed this type of logic is. We need the mercenaries and hired guns mentioned in other posts to have any chance to turn it around quickly. Even if those guys play a couple of years, it gives the freshman time to grow. You can see the strategy working right up the road. Bottom line is that the talent level needs to improve drastically, and the staff hasn't gotten it done. Frustrating.

Reactions: USAFminersfan
We can look at this year's "calvalry" of freshman to see how flawed this type of logic is. We need the mercenaries and hired guns mentioned in other posts to have any chance to turn it around quickly. Even if those guys play a couple of years, it gives the freshman time to grow. You can see the strategy working right up the road. Bottom line is that the talent level needs to improve drastically, and the staff hasn't gotten it done. Frustrating.

I am of the belief that nobody wants to play for the azzhole Floyd, unless they have minimal to no other options. CTF's classes have been getting worse and worse every year up to this point (not including the most recent class, whigh the jury is still out on).

Is Stull really that out of touch? I can't imagine he thought he could pull the wool over such a "savvy" fanbase's eyes. One at-large bid for G5 reps? Give me a break! Try 6. "BS" stands for more than just his initials. What a fukking moron he is.

Or he really thinks WE'RE morons.

I remember when we were going to hire Doc Sadler or Sergio Rouco. Two of Rouco's recruits were high profile in Alex Galindo and Ivan Almonte. Of course Galindo ended up at Kansas. But Bob Stull was under a lot of pressure to hire Rouco over Sandler because of the recruiting class. And Stull looks into the camera and said, "You don't make coaching decisions based on recruits."

Fast Forward and he's making a coaching decision based on recruits.

I remember when we were going to hire Doc Sadler or Sergio Rouco. Two of Rouco's recruits were high profile in Alex Galindo and Ivan Almonte. Of course Galindo ended up at Kansas. But Bob Stull was under a lot of pressure to hire Rouco over Sandler because of the recruiting class. And Stull looks into the camera and said, "You don't make coaching decisions based on recruits."

Fast Forward and he's making a coaching decision based on recruits.
With the big difference that none of Floyd's recruits end up at Kansas or any other blublood powerhouse school. They go to UTRGV.

That guy is horrible! Says the same BS over and over again! I think he is worse than Floyd... No other program would justify the way he has... FB and BB are in bad shape, yet... He keeps on believing everything is ok.

Even if the at large bids situation is difficult for mid majors this email doesn't answer why we haven't won a CUSA tournament. We've hosted it twice. Other conference teams have gone into host cities and walked out with the trophy and autobid.

It's easy to see why it's been okay for Floyd to embellish and spout inaccuracies about the program because Stull is full of them, as well.

Did Floyd and Stull go to the gentleman's club, get a little action, and now Floyd has something over Bob? WTF is going on in Minerland?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT