ADVERTISEMENT

Both Coordinators coming back?

UTEPDefense

MI Hall of Famer
Oct 8, 2002
We have seen many tweets which show that Mike Cox has been out recruiting this week. Here is a tweet which shows that Canales was also out recruiting for us this week as well. If these tweets are verification that both coaches are coming back, then UTEP has to be only school in America where you can lose 22 games in 2 years......and not just lose, but also look bad in how you lose.....yet you still have the luxury of bringing back both coordinators for their 3rd year. I guess having 9 double digit losses against one of the easiest schedules in school history is no cause for alarm or reason for change?

We have seen many tweets which show that Mike Cox has been out recruiting this week. Here is a tweet which shows that Canales was also out recruiting for us this week as well. If these tweets are verification that both coaches are coming back, then UTEP has to be only school in America where you can lose 22 games in 2 years......and not just lose, but also look bad in how you lose.....yet you still have the luxury of bringing back both coordinators for their 3rd year. I guess having 9 double digit losses against one of the easiest schedules in school history is no cause for alarm or reason for change?

Well, UTEP won't announce the firing of either coordinator until they have secured a job offer somewhere else.

But nobody else wants either of UTEP's coordinators.

Therefore, UTEP is stuck with them.

Are you buying season tickets in 2020?

Somebody said we can’t compare Senter to Stull yet, but if this is true, that both coordinators are staying, then I’d say the two are fairly comparable.

Well, UTEP won't announce the firing of either coordinator until they have secured a job offer somewhere else.

But nobody else wants either of UTEP's coordinators.

Therefore, UTEP is stuck with them.

The more I see this, the more I believe they are both coming back. If they were going to be terminated once the season is officially over, there would be absolutely no reason to send them on the road. Would you trust your assistants to recruit hard for your team if you’re going to fire them?

Somebody said we can’t compare Senter to Stull yet, but if this is true, that both coordinators are staying, then I’d say the two are fairly comparable.
I said that man. Stull hired three straight coaches that led UTEP to bowl wins. Senter hired Dimel.

As “bad” as things were under Stull, its actually among the most “successful” times UTEP football has ever enjoyed. Stull has been a part of all six bowl games that have played outside of El Paso. Unfortunately Stull hung on too his buddies too long and we could never carry the momentum to take the next step forward. At the moment Senter has us going backwards in football. He has long way to go before he can be compared to Stull.

Dimel thinks we are improving and we set school records this season with a 1-11 team, so it really isn't suprising they will both be back next season. Cox and Canales are exceeding expectations according to delusional Dimel. Senter was dumb enough to hire him, so of course he is dumb enough to believe Dimel that this program has shown improvement.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
I said that man. Stull hired three straight coaches that led UTEP to bowl wins. Senter hired Dimel.

As “bad” as things were under Stull, its actually among the most “successful” times UTEP football has ever enjoyed. Stull has been a part of all six bowl games that have played outside of El Paso. Unfortunately Stull hung on too his buddies too long and we could never carry the momentum to take the next step forward. At the moment Senter has us going backwards in football. He has long way to go before he can be compared to Stull.

Yeah, I remember. And I agree. It’s difficult to really compare a guy that was here for 20 years and a guy who has been here for 2 years, however, the matrix I’m using is the tendency to hang on to underachieving slackers just collecting a paycheck. If Cox and Canales both return, I believe Senter will have equaled the damage Stull inflicted on our fb program.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Yeah, I remember. And I agree. It’s difficult to really compare a guy that was here for 20 years and a guy who has been here for 2 years, however, the matrix I’m using is the tendency to hang on to underachieving slackers just collecting a paycheck. If Cox and Canales both return, I believe Senter will have equaled the damage Stull inflicted on our fb program.
Yeah I get what you’re saying. Stull hung on to his guys cuz they actually won and proved they could be successful here. Nord won the only conference title in school history. Price won the second most games in UTEP history. Kugler has the only winning season in the last 15 years. What exactly has Dimel, Canales, and Cox shown to be allowed to the same leniency the Stull hires enjoyed? Senter has a long ways to go to be in the same sentence as Stull.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
Yeah I get what you’re saying. Stull hung on to his guys cuz they actually won and proved they could be successful here. Nord won the only conference title in school history. Price won the second most games in UTEP history. Kugler has the only winning season in the last 15 years. What exactly has Dimel, Canales, and Cox shown to be allowed to the same leniency the Stull hires enjoyed? Senter has a long ways to go to be in the same sentence as Stull.

Kugler also had the 5 worst recruiting classes in CUSA for 5 consecutive years. Mike Price had 2 great classes in 2010 and 2012. The cupboards weren't bare.

Kugler also had the 5 worst recruiting classes in CUSA for 5 consecutive years. Mike Price had 2 great classes in 2010 and 2012. The cupboards weren't bare.
Going by 247
Dimel’s:
2020: 13/14
2019: 12/14
2018: 14/14

Kuglers:
2017: 14/14
2016: 13/14
2015: 13/14
2014: 12/14
2013: 12/14

I really don’t see what the fascination with Dimel’s recruiting is. It’s on the same level as Kugler. Sure he got more 3 star guys but what have they done for us? Have they even played a down yet?

Kugler’s recruiting is so awful that Dimel is still benefitting from them. By year 3 Kugler had rid the program of almost every Price player. Without Hughes this year and Wadley next year, would we even move the ball? Torres and Brownholtz are going to backup Hardison and Goodwin. I thought for sure Dimel would bring in better players. The talent level isn’t much different. I would say Kugler hit on a lot more players. He recognized the weakness in his teams and went after, what on paper looked like blockbuster hits. Too bad for him some of those players didn’t pan out but it sure got us excited in the off season and our imagination running. I don’t feel like Dimel is addressing the needs of the team.

I agree with what some others have already said on here, you wouldn’t think that Canales and Cox would be sent out to recruit if they were going to be let go. I mean how could either guy show any enthusiasm toward this program when talking to recruits knowing they were to going to be fired within weeks? And I highly doubt based on what we have seen and heard from Dimel that he would deceive either one into believing they are staying, send them out to recruit, and then let them go. He seems loyal almost to a fault. Just strange though that a comment was made about not announcing the release of anyone until they already had a new job lined up.

Man, this is a rough crowd. While I understand everyone's frustrations, I am still on the fence about any/all the coaches. I firmly believe Dimel is TRYING to build our program from the ground up. He has brought in mostly freshmen and have redshirted them. I KNOW how bad them talent was under Kugler. I also understand Dimel's loyalty to the kids that stayed and helped. Running the off seriously wouldn't have guaranteed us winning any more games the past 2 years. Yes, you are correct. Dimel's past record does NOT indicate he can turn this around, but to yank him after 2 years isn't really the right thing to do either.
Remember, Nord was building us for the long haul and never had the chance to see it through. I am ok with at least seeing what with they do with his kids starting next year. (and trust me, I yell fire so-and-so VERY quickly)
This staff HAS brought in a lot more 3 star kids than in a long ass time. The rankings wont show much improvement until we start winning games. (we all know how rankings change when a star Bball player signs with UTEP) While the play calling, stupid ass penalties (which MOST are previous coaches kids), disorganization, and horrible player overall use is unacceptable, Maybe we should put the blame on the previous coach and kids a LITTLE too.
Let's cool our jets and SEE if this staff can fix this with THEIR kids starting next year.

I KNOW I won't change your minds. I am out!

out of everything that’s been said — it’s kuglers players, he’s redshirting players blah blah

scariest thing to me and the one that tells the tale on this coaching staff

Was players saying they were getting the wrong signals in a lot of the time and we couldn’t even run a play where people were doing what they were supposed to.... that is all coaching ... which really scares me about having the same group come back because If that’s the case it won’t matter if you have 5 star recruits come here...

out of everything that’s been said — it’s kuglers players, he’s redshirting players blah blah

scariest thing to me and the one that tells the tale on this coaching staff

Was players saying they were getting the wrong signals in a lot of the time and we couldn’t even run a play where people were doing what they were supposed to.... that is all coaching ... which really scares me about having the same group come back because If that’s the case it won’t matter if you have 5 star recruits come here...

Yeah, I’m in the same boat. The most disconcerting thing to me was that from season’s start to season’s end the controllables were not controlled. Nor was there even improvement in that regard.

Dimel needs to stop calling plays. He seems overwhelmed with his duties. It shows by the penalties, player complaints about calls, and overall lack of organization.

Handing the duties over to Canales won’t do us any good. Every other team we talk to that has had Canales as coach, has nothing positive to say about the guy. Obviously he isn’t helping at all right now so why give him more responsibility?

We need a new competent OC period. 3 down lineman at UTEP on defense doesn’t work either. We need a new DC. And Dimel needs to focus on managing the game.

I don’t get the point of bringing back our coordinators when the evidence is there that their philosophies don’t work at UTEP.

Yeah, I’m in the same boat. The most disconcerting thing to me was that from season’s start to season’s end the controllables were not controlled. Nor was there even improvement in that regard.

And I feel like if they were to switch coordinators the excuse will then be “Well, these kids are still trying to learn a new defensive scheme. It’s gonna take time.”

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Going by 247
Dimel’s:
2020: 13/14
2019: 12/14
2018: 14/14

Kuglers:
2017: 14/14
2016: 13/14
2015: 13/14
2014: 12/14
2013: 12/14

I really don’t see what the fascination with Dimel’s recruiting is. It’s on the same level as Kugler. Sure he got more 3 star guys but what have they done for us? Have they even played a down yet?

Kugler’s recruiting is so awful that Dimel is still benefitting from them. By year 3 Kugler had rid the program of almost every Price player. Without Hughes this year and Wadley next year, would we even move the ball? Torres and Brownholtz are going to backup Hardison and Goodwin. I thought for sure Dimel would bring in better players. The talent level isn’t much different. I would say Kugler hit on a lot more players. He recognized the weakness in his teams and went after, what on paper looked like blockbuster hits. Too bad for him some of those players didn’t pan out but it sure got us excited in the off season and our imagination running. I don’t feel like Dimel is addressing the needs of the team.

That's not quite correct. Because ODU was in FCS and UAB suspended the program, Charlotte joined in 2015. But it's how 247 organizes it.

I've said it before, the situation requires a coach be given at least 3 years. You can argue Dimel isnt the guy, but it's a bad situation.

I have been going to Spring Ball for 15 years or so. I get to sit in meetings. I really learn alot. Try to get absorb as much knowledge as I can to take back to my team. It's how I spend my spring breaks. There was never a bigger shit show than Kuglers last spring. Other than Coach Natkin, I dont think any cared. There were guys not even at practice. The team looked terrible, the talent was bad. I remember telling the NMSU coaches that UTEP is going to be really bad.

Even know the results aren't better and that falls on Dimel. I have first hand knowledge that there is actually a college football program in place right now.

There was never a bigger shit show than Kuglers last spring. Other than Coach Natkin, I dont think any cared. There were guys not even at practice.
I thought if anything, Kugler was supposed to be all about discipline. What happened?

That's not quite correct. Because ODU was in FCS and UAB suspended the program, Charlotte joined in 2015. But it's how 247 organizes it.

I've said it before, the situation requires a coach be given at least 3 years. You can argue Dimel isnt the guy, but it's a bad situation.

I have been going to Spring Ball for 15 years or so. I get to sit in meetings. I really learn alot. Try to get absorb as much knowledge as I can to take back to my team. It's how I spend my spring breaks. There was never a bigger shit show than Kuglers last spring. Other than Coach Natkin, I dont think any cared. There were guys not even at practice. The team looked terrible, the talent was bad. I remember telling the NMSU coaches that UTEP is going to be really bad.

Even know the results aren't better and that falls on Dimel. I have first hand knowledge that there is actually a college football program in place right now.

Well, there is zero doubt he will get that 3rd year to show if there is any improvement. It’s got to be the year that makes or breaks him, imo, though.

Hopefully you witness many encouraging things this spring. This program needs some life breathed into it. It “feels” like it’s running out of oxygen.

I thought if anything, Kugler was supposed to be all about discipline. What happened?

He really was at the beginning. He would have kids stay in a Study Hall on Friday and Saturday nights from 10pm to 3am if they were screw ups. He ran a tight ship so it was a surprise to see how relaxed things had gotten that Spring.

But here is a story many of you would appreciate.

So we are like 0-4. And I post something on here about how I saw this coming in spring ball. And I posted about some things I saw in practice. This was before work like at 8am. So my first period starts and it's like 8:55am. And that a-hole calls me and cusses me out and tells me to take down the post. He scared the crap out of me. When Kugler yells it's very intimidating. I dont care anymore but for 2 years I said nothing bad about the dude even know he was long gone.

I dont think he would physically do anything if that's what you're saying. But he could tell Coach Natkin to not allow me in.

Coach Dimel has a sign in sheet. One of his assistants comes around and you have to say who you are and the school your from. That's the biggest difference. Kugler and Price were just like come on down. Price's practices were all ran by assistants and he was like a CEO and just made sure everything ran smoothly. It was pretty impressive

Yes.

His whole issue was that he had let me have full access and I kinda put stuff out there.
How did he know your profile handle on here? Kind of curious. I said a lot of bad shit about him. If I knew he was reading and keeping track I would have shut up.

How did he know your profile handle on here? Kind of curious. I said a lot of bad shit about him. If I knew he was reading and keeping track I would have shut up.

Because of they knew of my online handle from when I named the Chihuahuas back in the day.

Generally when there's a turnaround, you see things that point to it. What have your seen this year that points to a turnaround next year?

These coaches need to get out and find speed, talent at wide receiver and a quarterback that can lead this team. If that don't happen we'll be in the sh*t again next year.

Reactions: JCorona
Generally when there's a turnaround, you see things that point to it. What have your seen this year that points to a turnaround next year?

These coaches need to get out and find speed, talent at wide receiver and a quarterback that can lead this team. If that don't happen we'll be in the sh*t again next year.
Next year’s qb has a rating of 17. He can only go up. The WR position is being solidified with the exodus of those four scrubs. Wadley might be at 100% next year. I think our offense will improve from 2017. Patience is needed. Next year we’re only halfway through the rebuild.

Next year’s qb has a rating of 17. He can only go up. The WR position is being solidified with the exodus of those four scrubs. Wadley might be at 100% next year. I think our offense will improve from 2017. Patience is needed. Next year we’re only halfway through the rebuild.
Wow! You're a glass half full type of guy.
Gesil0heqvIAfy9KpOjtRXdnVsGrlLHFOqHGAzFDuwfodc9dI0OXaqu8qL0Bva6aT5g5w84ScjdWibV9sPijlECaBFYxSUk2Zy17GiL80CLDm0UnOpH3146lLZ6KwG-v5IHpMai_IfCBvt-H

Reactions: utep2step

Thanks for that post. Good to hear thoughts of someone not caught up in our Dimel feeding frenzy.

Since we are going to have him around at least one more year, I'm going to think about his time at Houston and how his first 2 seasons there were bad, including his 2nd being 0-11, but his recruiting was good and his team won 5 games his 3rd year. If the Miners win 4 or 5 games next season, I know that is a very big if, will we figure we have a real turnaround coming?

Reactions: kickballpro
4 or 5 wins? Let’s slow down and start with something small, like can Dimel’s offense go 4 or 5 consecutive possessions without shooting itself in the foot via a pre-snap penalty, bad snap, turn over, etc. These controllable and sloppy issues from this past season, along with better discipline, will need to get fixed next year. In my opinion, these will be first step/test regarding if Dimel will ever have a chance of turning this program around.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT