ADVERTISEMENT

Boum, Williams make CUSA Third Team???

Williams is way under rated conference wise, Boum about right.
I agree, but I would also say the reality of it is that he way underperformed during conference play. Somebody mentioned how he is double and triple teamed, and I agree, but he also didn’t pass the ball well out of those situations. If he’s being triple teamed, he’s got open teammates.

If the guy who showed up to play Kansas showed up during conference, he’d no doubt be a first teamer.

I agree, but I would also say the reality of it is that he way underperformed during conference play. Somebody mentioned how he is double and triple teamed, and I agree, but he also didn’t pass the ball well out of those situations. If he’s being triple teamed, he’s got open teammates.

If the guy who showed up to play Kansas showed up during conference, he’d no doubt be a first teamer.
Kind of reminds me of Marlon Maxey who had a so so career at UTEP until the 1992 NCAA tournament where he played out of his mind and parlayed it into getting drafted 28th. He was a bust in the NBA, but he sure cashed in.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Kind of reminds me of Marlon Maxey who had a so so career at UTEP until the 1992 NCAA tournament where he played out of his mind and parlayed it into getting drafted 28th. He was a bust in the NBA, but he sure cashed in.

Maxey was also the MVP of the Pre-Draft Camp in Portsmouth. I would watch Timberwolves games just to see Maxey. I believe he was the first pick of the 2nd round. Edit: Just Googled him, he was the 1st pick of the 2nd round.

That’s a really good comparison, Rocket. Their “senior” season numbers are almost identical in regard to points and rebounds.

The difference in my opinion is that Maxey could afford to have an off night, or not show up on occasion. That team was loaded with talent and any number of guys could pick up the slack on any given night. B Dub, on the other hand, obviously doesn’t have that luxury.

Reactions: Lil_Train

Maxey may have had a so-so career (mostly, in my opinion, due to injuries) in his first two seasons at UTEP, but he had an outstanding senior year. He led a squad that tied for first in a good WAC Conference with 14.2 ppg. He did this on .521 shooting from the field and .727 from the line. He also led the team in rebounding with 7.4 rpg. He was First Team All WAC that year. His NCAA Tournament averages of 17 ppg and 8 rpg weren't that much different than what he averaged in the regular season. His NCAA Tournament performance was an extension of his great senior year.

Maxey may have had a so-so career (mostly, in my opinion, due to injuries) in his first two seasons at UTEP, but he had an outstanding senior year. He led a squad that tied for first in a good WAC Conference with 14.2 ppg. He did this on .521 shooting from the field and .727 from the line. He also led the team in rebounding with 7.4 rpg. He was First Team All WAC that year. His NCAA Tournament averages of 17 ppg and 8 rpg weren't that much different than what he averaged in the regular season. His NCAA Tournament performance was an extension of his great senior year.
He was instrumental in the Georgetown win as well.

That’s a really good comparison, Rocket. Their “senior” season numbers are almost identical in regard to points and rebounds.

The difference in my opinion is that Maxey could afford to have an off night, or not show up on occasion. That team was loaded with talent and any number of guys could pick up the slack on any given night. B Dub, on the other hand, obviously doesn’t have that luxury.
Agree. Maxey played along side of David Van Dyke, who also put up solid numbers. Maxey likely would have had better stats on a team without another interior scoring option. The flip side is that, because of Van Dyke, he wasn't double teamed as much as BW has been during his time here. As much as I liked Maxey, I would probably side with BW as my pick as the better college player in a head to head comparison.

Agree. Maxey played along side of David Van Dyke, who also put up solid numbers. Maxey likely would have had better stats on a team without another interior scoring option. The flip side is that, because of Van Dyke, he wasn't double teamed as much as BW has been during his time here. As much as I liked Maxey, I would probably side with BW as my pick as the better college player in a head to head comparison.

Interesting comparison. As strong as BW is, I believe that Maxey was stronger. I also think that Maxey was the better rebounder. Both were really good low post scorers. BW would get the edge for quickness and on the perimeter. I would probably give the overall edge to Maxey for two reasons: I believe that Maxey (in his senior year) gave a better effort night in and night out than BW has this year, and I would trust Maxey more to play with foul trouble than I would BW.

Interesting comparison. As strong as BW is, I believe that Maxey was stronger. I also think that Maxey was the better rebounder. Both were really good low post scorers. BW would get the edge for quickness and on the perimeter. I would probably give the overall edge to Maxey for two reasons: I believe that Maxey (in his senior year) gave a better effort night in and night out than BW has this year, and I would trust Maxey more to play with foul trouble than I would BW.
Great points Maniac. It's definitely close for me as well. I thought Maxey was a better rebounder, and interior defender too. But, in my opinion, BW has a little more versatility in his game on both sides of the ball. I think part of the reason BW has been in foul trouble a lot during his time here is that he has been tasked with switching off to smaller, quicker players. I do agree that Maxey, like the other guys out of Chicago, played with tremendous toughness and effort. I think we see some of that in a guy like Agnew this year.

Great points Maniac. It's definitely close for me as well. I thought Maxey was a better rebounder, and interior defender too. But, in my opinion, BW has a little more versatility in his game on both sides of the ball. I think part of the reason BW has been in foul trouble a lot during his time here is that he has been tasked with switching off to smaller, quicker players. I do agree that Maxey, like the other guys out of Chicago, played with tremendous toughness and effort. I think we see some of that in a guy like Agnew this year.
Yeah, that’s a tough one. Like you said, I think Bryson is a bit more polished, with a bit more finesse, but Maxey was more imposing. He moved powerfully and forcefully to the bucket. Agree that Maxey rebounded with a little more authority, too. BW has more range to his game than Maxey had.

As far as senior season stats go, it’s a really good comparison. Both right around 15 pts and 7.5 boards.

Which is why I'd like to see more of BW and Efe out there at the same time. In the few stretches where we've seen this, I think they have been productive.

Marlon Maxey had a 10 year professional career with stops in Turkey, Greece and Spain.

He played with Greg Foster and Antonio Davis who were both stronger players than Van Dyke. Maxey was part of an incredible draft class that included Shaquille O'Neal, Robert Horry, Christian Laettner, Latrell Sprewell and Jimmy Jackson. I remember him being part of a practice drama when Christian Laettner stood up for him to an assistant coach who was verbally dressing him down at practice (conflicting reports say Weinhauer was calmly correcting Maxey others say he was tearing into Maxey).

I think Bryson Williams is a better comparison with George Banks. Banks was drafted round 2 by the Heat but never played in the NBA though he had a 16 yr career overseas.

I don't feel like a good fan. Had never heard of him until this thread and now this tweet. I appreciate the history lesson.

Haha. I should have studied more tape. I'm teaching my lil boy everything UTEP. It was an internal dilemma cuz do I really want him to suffer the rest of his life? Better than growing up a Texas fan.

Good call out on your son. My dad used to have the games on the radio and I'd be there listening alongside him some of the time. There was obviously much excitement and great fan following after the 66 championship.

And yes, I said on the RADIO. AM band. And I'm sure I'm not the only one - LOL. Still, that made me and my brothers life-long sufferers of UTEP athletics.

I mean, we've had some great seasons along the way. Our 1992 team was likely our last GREAT team. NCAA sweet sixteen and all.

I have sporadic memories of Maxey. I know he was good, but he just doesn't stick out much.. Couldn't tell you much about him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT